Jerry Goldsmith THE MUMMY Intrada 2CD set!!!

Brundlefly

In the FSM thread, someone reported that Airplane Ride is not just tracked from Rebirth, but a re-recording of almost the same music, but with an added phrase.

I wonder if they are wrong, and the "added phrase" is just a loop created by the music editors

Yeah, just try and replicate it in Audacity then place them on top of each other. I'd have done that already, but they'll only get here early next week.

so that's what the FSMer was talking about - bars 115-120 play twice, which he thought was an "extra phrase"

Definitely tracked and looped then, and shouldn't be on the CD!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Definitely tracked and looped then, and shouldn't be on the CD!

Well, it doesn't fit in with the design of the CD (Goldsmith's intended score) but I don't think you should go as far as to say that it shouldn't be on there at all. It's there for those who want what was in the film.

But then I don't see these releases as listening experiences to be followed religiously. They're a repository to move things around as needed.

It's definitely odd they included it but like suggested they probably included it for those who expected it to be on there.

I knew it was tracked from the first time I heard it via isolated score quite a few years ago.

16 hours ago, Trent B said:

It's definitely odd they included it but like suggested they probably included it for those who expected it to be on there.

MM doesn't create his sets like the fans want it, but how it should be done from his professional point of view. None of the producers should act upon the fans' requests!

As far as I’m concerned, no harm in doing it.

There would be those who have complained had they not. Kinda like the end credits, it’s a non issue for me.

Nope the cat's piano is not included.  That was just an overlay so hence why it wasn't included.

15 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

No, honestly, are the few piano notes included in Finish the Job?

There was never piano notes in Finish The Job.  The piano notes were in "Serious Trouble".

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

Nope the cat's piano is not included.  That was just an overlay so hence why it wasn't included.

Too bad. That inappropriate cluster is really bone chilling in that moment.

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

There was never piano notes in Finish The Job.  The piano notes were in "Serious Trouble".

But the track Finish the Job on the new Intrada release includes the cue Serious Trouble.

Love the release, but I find that the Album version sounds more dynamic, percussion and some other instruments sound better and more clear, that's especially in action cues like TAUREG ATTACK, what do you think guys?

Oh, that censored Anck-Su-Namun on page 5 is gloriously terrible! No nipple-less golden boobies in our booklet!

Worse, they darkened the fish-scale bodypaint in to make it look like she has something on!

20180806_094331.jpg

A hair lengthening would've been better.

"We have also included both the film version of "The Locusts" (with a busier ending) and the alternate version with a stream-lined ending and a longer middle section. Goldsmith, indeed, recorded three different versions of this cue, with the third being the one included on the Decca album."

Now, no version of The Locusts is on the Decca album. My Favourite Plague is the only track present 3 times on the set, but it's explained in the next paragraph.

First impression of the complete score presentation not on headphones: Pretty damn good. I'll definitely join the little below-minute tracks together for the digital version, but this'll get many listens. Shame you have to change discs for those 12 minutes though, but I guess the only other way would've been to not include the OST and split in a more reasonable place like between Crowd Control and Airplane Ride (or even better, Sand Storm with AR not included - that would be an amazing Disc 2 opener).

Oof, yeah, the end of Camel Race sound like the headphone jack is getting iffy.

9 hours ago, Holko said:

Worse, they darkened the fish-scale bodypaint in to make it look like she has something on!

20180806_094331.jpg

A hair lengthening would've been better.

Why? It's just a CD set, not a movie that has to get through the MPAA. Sorry, but this is too American.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

They should have just used Freud music!

In every Goldsmith-scored movie!

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

Why even use the pic if you'll have to censor it?

A good question!

Oh but of course it's completely fine on the Mummy Returns front cover... Because it's smaller? Also I just noticed that poster uses Weisz' look with the thin drawn eyebrows and very curly hair from the first movie. I guess they thought the difference is too much and people would be confused... Like I was. I actually thought they got a stunningly good imitator for the second one, and only in the credits did I realise it was also Rachel Weisz. Then after a bit of Googling I now know that's what she actually looks like.

23 hours ago, Jay said:

I have other soundtrack CDs with nudity within the pages.  Odd that Intrada would go out of their way to censor something from a PG13 movie.

I don’t think Intrada did. That’s the way the outfit was censored in the movie’s trailer. It’s likely a promotional shot (Universal would’ve provided Intrada with the images they were allowed to use).

21 hours ago, Holko said:

Oh but of course it's completely fine on the Mummy Returns front cover... Because it's smaller? Also I just noticed that poster uses Weisz' look with the thin drawn eyebrows and very curly hair from the first movie. I guess they thought the difference is too much and people would be confused... Like I was. I actually thought they got a stunningly good imitator for the second one, and only in the credits did I realise it was also Rachel Weisz. Then after a bit of Googling I now know that's what she actually looks like.

This confused me when I was a kid, too! They really made her look so different in Returns.

Just now, rpvee said:

I don’t think Intrada did. That’s the way the outfit was censored in the movie’s trailer. It’s likely a promotional shot (Universal would’ve provided Intrada with the images they were allowed to use).

Ah ok

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I hope you guys were really young when this happened.  Like toddlers.

Around 9-10. I understood that it was still Rachel pretty quickly, but I remember being confused at first, especially since the movie’s poster/cover art used her appearance from the first film (like @Holko said).

I only watched it a week or two ago, but I haven't seen Rachel in anything yet except for The Mummy, only knew her name.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:43 AM, Holko said:

"We have also included both the film version of "The Locusts" (with a busier ending) and the alternate version with a stream-lined ending and a longer middle section. Goldsmith, indeed, recorded three different versions of this cue, with the third being the one included on the Decca album."

Now, no version of The Locusts is on the Decca album. My Favourite Plague is the only track present 3 times on the set, but it's explained in the next paragraph.

Yeah this was a bit baffling statement in the liner notes. Perhaps they indeed meant My Favourite Plague instead.

Changes I did for the phone playlist:

- Used a section of The Sarcophagus from the album version instead of the new mix, since I disliked those synths at the end being a noticeably different tempo than the orchestra and choir

- Joined Imhotep+The Sarcophagus into Imhotep

- Used a section from Tuareg Attack  from the album instead of the new - in the second half, when we hear Rick's motif budding, the new mix makes the brass overpower the rythm unlike in the old mix

- Joined Tauregs Attack+Closed Door+Undiscovered Creature into The Battle of Hamunaptra / Giza

- Joined Off Balance+A Key in the Hand+The Hanging into Evy, Jonathan and Rick - subject to change, since Off Balance is the one cue I explicitly dislike in this score

- Used the end section of Camel Race from the album instead of the new to get rid of the static

- Joined Finish The Job+Regeneration+Alley Attack+The Flies into Finish The Job (why are these ones hanging in the air when they could stick the 5-second The Warden's Bag in front of Mumia Attack?)

- Joined Airplane Ride+Sand Storm+Desert Burial into The Sand Wall

- Recreated the separate intended Credits Track (2/20 has it joined into The Sand Volcano and the tempo change and finale repetition is jarring) then stuck the remaining film credits to the end

Tried pillaging the 5.1 channels for the kitty piano overlay, but there's way too many sound effects to extract anything worthwile, maybe two of the notes out of the 5-6 could come out cleanly.

What a phenomenally fun score!