Jerry Goldsmith THE MUMMY Intrada 2CD set!!!

Brundlefly

That's an entirely different matter, those are one uninterrupted stretch of music split into separate tracks only in tags, the continuity depends only on the player and the carrier files.

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

That's an entirely different matter, those are one uninterrupted stretch of music split into separate tracks only in tags, the continuity depends only on the player and the carrier files.

I know.  Different but related.  I've been told I'm an imbecile for being fine with it.

It's a lesser evil. Something like Dark Side of the Moon is fantastic and can't be done any other way, but the LotR CRs often use it unnecessarily.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

And my point is that I don't want to look at a finally complete and proper release of the score as a resource mine I edit together once then never listen to the CD itself again because it breaks the flow for me.

I'll stop now, but just one last time: The Rescue was also written as its own cue complete with a pretty good ending and all, why did that devil Matessino join it with The Bike Chase? Because they were always intended to flow together, regardless of their separate endings and openings, they have never been apart on any release.

Hopefully your heinous and sick desires will be ignored by the good producers, though looking at the awful crossfades on stuff like 'Sum of all Fears', my hopes aren't high. 🙄 Because you can't roll back bad/mediocre edits once they are the only option.

And although this E. T. example seems to be mighty important to you, obviously neither me nor others know what your argument here is. I only have a 15-minute track with a longer pause in the middle.

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

And although this E. T. example seems to be mighty important to you, obviously neither me nor others know what your argument here is. I only have a 15-minute track with a longer pause in the middle.

I'm not talking about the pause, but this:

The only difference between the E.T. and the Fuel/Slalom is that one was released edited as intended from the beginning, and with the other, only the second half of the transition was initially released, the first was later on a release messed up in multiple ways. 

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

Hopefully your heinous and sick desires will be ignored by the good producers,

Examples from recent sets that heinously and sickly join separately written cues as they were intended:

E.T.

1M1 The Forest

1M2 Keyes Arrives

1M2A The Final Solution

into Far from Home/E.T. Alone

11M1 The Rescue

11M3 The Bike Chase

into The Rescue and Bike Chase

Jurassic Park

2m3/3m1 To The Island

3m2 The Dinosaurs

3m2a The Entrance of the Park

into Journey to the Island

13m2 March Past the Kitchen Utensils

13m3/14m1 T-Rex to the Rescue

into T-Rey Rescue and Finale

Lost World

13m1 A Neighborhood Visitor

13m2 Streets Of San Diego

into Visitor in San Diego

Temple of Doom is near-continuous music, at least the more self-contained setpieces should be joined as intended.

I still don't know what exactly your point is with that E. T. example, though i  can't listen to it right now, anyway.

As for your other examples: d'oh! Most of these do not have the problems your suggested TOD edits have, just because they have clean tail ends that do not mesh quite so badly (as the Jurassic Park examples), though of course i prefer 'The Forest' as singular piece like on the old MCA (i kept exactly that arrangement).

It's quite simple, actually: when the resulting edit sounds bad/unconvincing, leave the bloody music alone. It doesn't matter how it plays in the movie.

I just looked up the release on Spotify - Out of Fuel literally ends on a powerless halfassed brass blast obviously only put there to indicate exactly how the proper cue should overlap with it! The resulting edit could sound bad to someone with your extremely fine snobbish ears, but leaving the bloody music alone is much, much worse! The differences in key could be the infamous speed fuckups on these Concord releases of Raiders and Temple, they can range to extremely noticeable even for the layman like with Map Room.

I got proof for your tin ears with that statement all those ancient paginations before, 'sounds good enough to me'. All the rest is further proof of that - speed fuckups, my ass. But you can always edit it together on whatever new set may come, just leave it as it is for those poor souls who do not want slavish film recreations at the expense of musical flow and logic. We cannot make this undone!

You can always edit out the clean endings and openings from the horrendous Concord set, just leave it as it should be for those poor souls who want what the composer intended for us to hear, so we won't have to give up musical flow and logic.

Who the fuck would want to listen to a track end with a diminished version of the first note of the next track, wait a second, then continue with the next track and call that a good listening experience? That's for leaked recording sessions, not official releases.

We're talking over each other and won't be able to convince the other in this that our side is the obviously right and logical one, I'm truly out now. It'd just devolve further into kindergarten name-calling.

So, The Locusts's a fine track, eh? I started to really like it when syncing it up to the picture and seeing how the end works around the sound, dialogue and overall movements.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Those slow, quiet crossfade transitions are OK to break up by me, I love Appearance of the Visitors, Contact and End Titles separate in CE3K, it's the big, sudden transitions I think should be always kept.

That's really a quite one-dimensional view.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

So, The Locusts's a fine track, eh? I started to really like it when syncing it up to the picture and seeing how the end works around the sound, dialogue and overall movements.

I can't quite understand the love that seemingly everyone has for this track. Can someone please enlighten me as to what supposedly makes it so 'good', because I can't hear it myself. 

It just sounds like a multitude of tracked cues from later points in the film, honestly.

A general debate about long tracks with multiple cues vs each cue in its own track is good and all, but I'm not sure why you guys are taking such an aggressive tone with each other.  Can't you guess discuss this topic like rational, civil, polite adults?

Anyways, here's how the transition from Out Of Fuel into Slalom on Mt Humol plays IN THE FILM itself, take a listen:

untitled.mp3

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyways, here's how the transition from Out Of Fuel into Slalom on Mt Humol plays IN THE FILM itself, take a listen:

44 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Harrowing

Yeah, microediting in 1984 for an SFX-heavy setpiece...

This is more along the lines of what I mean/want:

http://picosong.com/w4U6X/

I welcome both The Locusts and The Sand Storm equally.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Not bad, but I think there's room for improvement.  It's not the easiest edit to do, mostly because every track on the Concord CD is at a different pitch and volume.  One day if/when Mike M ever gets to tackle these scores, I'm sure he'll do a great job with that segue.

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

Sand Storm, by a wide margin.

Sand Storm is a repetition of the action material, while Locusts features many new horror music that was underrepresented on the OST.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

That one makes sense as well.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

OK, here's Brawl/Shanghai as well, which was another bigger piece of controversy:

http://picosong.com/w4UbJ/

That one awful. I mean absolutely awful.

I mean your edits are both not perfect. I'm solely refering to the music itself.

5 hours ago, Imhotep said:

I can't quite understand the love that seemingly everyone has for this track. Can someone please enlighten me as to what supposedly makes it so 'good', because I can't hear it myself. 

It just sounds like a multitude of tracked cues from later points in the film, honestly.

You're not alone. I don't get it either.

Sand Storm is by miles my favourite "unreleased" cue.

Where do you think those clips came from? The end of Nightclub Brawl is basically drowned in the film mix by bullets; you can't extract a clean rip from the rear channels alone. 

There was a podcast months ago that played more unreleased cues and they said it was sourced from the film stems. 

On 8/13/2018 at 6:33 PM, Holko said:

I currently use an edit which has the complete score in 13 tracks. There are some edits I could see being separated, though, so perhaps 6-8 min. tracks could work.

From Deal with Lao-Che to the end of Fast Streets of Shanghai is just a few seconds over 10 minutes if everything is edited as intended.

From Map until arriving at the village is 7 minutes, maybe the old man could come off from Slalom on Mt. Humol.

From Ghost Story to "Short Round's Theme" it's 8:30.

The 20 minute track from Nocturnal Activities to Sanskrit Sacrifice could be broken into separate segments.

From Taking the Stones to Short Round Escapes it's 14 minutes, maybe there's a few break points.

From Indy Returns (with sanskrit chant for Willie being lowered at the beginning) until the end of Short Round Helps, it's 12 minutes that I refuse to see separated.

The transition between Sword Trick and Bridge Drums could be separated, but it's 15 minutes from then until the end of the credits which is another stretch I don't want to give up.

Everything else I didn't mention could be separate tracks.

Personally I believe some tracks that were meant to go together should do so, while others shouldn't.

I don't mind looking tracks as long as it fits, but they shouldn't be overly long.

"The Battle of Hoth" works well, but the "Battle of Endor" tracks not so much.

The reason is that the latter switch gears a lot, while the former doesn't really.

For Temple of Doom, I ended up doing some creative editing to split tracks in the middle where that happened to make sense to me.

These splits don't correspond at all to how anything was written or how was used in the film.

But for album listening purposes, I can't think of any better way to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else have a very loud sound error in "A Key in the Hands" at 0:15? It sounds like a manufacturing error and if it is on anyone else's copy, he will definitely not be able to ignore it.

The climax of "The Mummy Attack" also has two errors, just a few seconds after the volume has reached its peak.

Apart from the tracking bullshit and the sound errors, which there are too many of, the set is quite decent, I guess. But it's nowhere near the Jurassic Park Collection.

• 1 year later...

Pros: more music but still manageable length, more buffed up middle section with great horror stuff, a major action highlight that was left off the OST.

Cons: some minor, some not so minor quality and mixing issues in multiple tracks in the Intrada main program, which can be switched out with the included OST counterparts which have not been remixed from scratch as far as I remember.

More a problem for headphone listeners, and a really bad problem only for 'The Mummy Returns' (a rare case where many anal fans didn't even picked up how the stereo field was narrowed into nearly mono in quite a few big cues, even some included on the old Decca in pristine quality - there IS a comparison, finally).

Really the worst The Mummy ever gets is the relatively loud staticlike noise suddenly entering in the last, quiet part of Camel Race and some phasing issues I think.