Alan Silvestri THE MUMMY RETURNS Intrada 2CD set!

Brundlefly

Interesting to see some of the alternates that was never with the boot.  I'm glad the boot will be obsolete. 

Another title I wish I could get along with The Mummy but alas can't...

23 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Interesting to see some of the alternates that was never with the boot.  I'm glad the boot will be obsolete. 

Another title I wish I could get along with The Mummy but alas can't...

Well both should be available while quantities and interest remain so you can probably pick it up later when your finances improve.

1 minute ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

This release may not be long enough.

In running time or for this world?

Yeah. And to think that none of the 25 minutes of the finale score made it onto the OST.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Holy crap, that's a LONG one! Impressive Silvestri was able to do all that without apparent stress!

You were shacked up together back in 2001?

10 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Yeah, but he kicked me out when he learned Roger Rabbit and Predator 2 are the only scores of his I own.

If you were to choose only a few it's not a bad start at all actually.

Karol

11 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Yeah, but he kicked me out when he learned Roger Rabbit and Predator 2 are the only scores of his I own.

I know the feeling. Goldsmith threw me off the premises when i vaguely mentioned i did like one or two of his scores. 

Big purchase from Intrada it seems, including:

The Mummy

The Mummy Returns

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend

Living in the Age of Airplanes

God should I bother with those Cosmos albums or wait for later?

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

I remember reading somewhere that those final portions of the score were recorded in LA. Was it just a rumour then?

Not a rumour.  From the Silvestri interview in FSM vol.6 no.4 (April/May 2001):

image.png

The same issue also includes a full page ad from the Los Angeles Recording Musicians Association congratulating him on his score:

image.png

Ah so it's not me just going crazy. Again. :) Interesting that the press release only mentions England. They had no such trouble with Judge Dredd.

Karol

That seems to be the case with the record company wanting to put out the CD at the same time with the film.

It is odd the press release doesn't mention anything about the final reels' music being recorded in LA.  If the booklet credits them and they paid all the union fees, etc, everything's fine.  If it doesn't and they didn't, we could be looking at a delay until they do.

~

I just copy/pasted the secondary press release into the main post - it doesn't mention LA recordings either.  Also added links to purchase the set from other retailers

The other press release, the one I just added to the earlier part of the main post, really reads like they think they entire score was recorded in London, practically outright stating such.  Weird.

It wouldn't be canceled, they would jut have to pay union fees and put up a PDF crediting the union musicians on their website, if they don't want to redo the booklet to credit them in that.

10 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Kudos to leaving the suite from the OST on, I use that as my end credits and not the song.

As far as "editiorial" suites go, this is one of the better ones out there. I'm amazed how well it flows from one segment into another. I'm not surprised Silvestri actually used it as a basis for concert performances.

Karol

What's there to connect with? His entire output is an endless string of fun yet painfully predictable scores that will never be mistaken for high art. They are exactly what they appear to be and his style has hardly changed since the beginning of his career. There is really nothing to "get" about him. He's a very definition of "reliable and solid Hollywood workman". And no, I don't see it as any type of slight. He's very good at what he does, even these days.

Having said that, there are a handful of scores that seem to be a level or two above others. The Mummy Returns would be the best of this batch. Followed by Judge Dredd, two Predator scores and perhaps few others (I like his two schmaltzy scores for Zemeckis' two Christmas motion cap movies, for instance).

Karol

There's about 15 minutes of score in the film that isn't on the OST, but it's nothing essential, the OST definitely showcases everything he does in the score very well

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's about 15 minutes of score in the film that isn't on the OST, but it's nothing essential, the OST definitely showcases everything he does in the score very well

I agree but I do like having my iso score rip.