Alan Silvestri THE MUMMY RETURNS Intrada 2CD set!

Brundlefly

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

Contact is one of his best scores, with one of his best OST albums

I like it in the film. Never heard the album.

Karol

Forrest Gump is one of his best. Probably should have won the Oscar but it was in the middle of that absurd Disney streak.

9 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Forrest Gump is one of his best. Probably should have won the Oscar but it was in the middle of that absurd Disney streak.

That damn Disney streak stole Jerry Goldsmith his Basic Instinct Oscar, but when he did Mulan they were all sick of Disney.

"Why give that guy a second Oscar? Alan Menken is in desperate need of a fifth and a sixth one!

1 minute ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Why the fuck was Disney winning so many darn Oscars in the early 90s? What was so great about them?

What is so great about the Oscars, one might ask?

Karol

11 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Forrest Gump is one of his best. Probably should have won the Oscar

I remember that score from the album, but not the movie. The songs stand out in my memory much more. 

I like the suite but the rest of the score is so repetitive, with one short motif stated over and over again. I think it's one of those albums that is nice to have to find that cue you liked, but doesn't work well as a listening experience.

7 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I feel like the OST would suffice for these scores, but I don't know.

I think it does suffice for The Mummy, but almost the entire final act is absent from The Mummy Returns OST. It lacks dramatic resolution.

The end credits music, apparently. 

I wouldn't know, I want to keep it all a surprise. If it turns out the complete score indeed isn't a necessary listen in its entirety, I'd be more than happy to just make a shorter playlist.

46 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Let's look at this from a standpoint of status. What have we got on the complete score that's good?

The second half of the score which has a lot of good music that was left out of the OST.

Acknowledging that a lot of it is very repetitive. Once you have the latin chanting, Rick Battles Imhotep, to be precise, it's really all what you need. 

On 7/17/2018 at 4:41 PM, crocodile said:

What's there to connect with? His entire output is an endless string of fun yet painfully predictable scores that will never be mistaken for high art. They are exactly what they appear to be and his style has hardly changed since the beginning of his career. There is really nothing to "get" about him. He's a very definition of "reliable and solid Hollywood workman". And no, I don't see it as any type of slight. He's very good at what he does, even these days.

Having said that, there are a handful of scores that seem to be a level or two above others. The Mummy Returns would be the best of this batch. Followed by Judge Dredd, two Predator scores and perhaps few others (I like his two schmaltzy scores for Zemeckis' two Christmas motion cap movies, for instance).

Karol

Dude... all he said was that he’s starting to like Silvestri. 

Me: I don't care much for Silvestri. I've never disliked his music, just hasn't gotten me excited.

YOU'RE SO CLOSED-MINDED NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE WACKY JOHN POWELL CARTOON MUSIC

Me: Silvestri's starting to grow on me.

HE'S SO PREDICTABLE THERE'S NOTHING TO HIM

Both me and Karol don't see anything wrong with those statements

Karol and Karol

P.S. I misread your post. Thought you couldn't get into Silvestri. Like he's Alex North or something. Perhaps it came out wrong. Sorry @kaseykockroach :)