Alan Silvestri THE MUMMY RETURNS Intrada 2CD set!

Brundlefly

20 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Tttthhufferin' thuccotash! Alan Thhhhhilvethtri!

I tawt I taw a Silvestwi. I did! I did!

1 hour ago, Kühni said:

Have you all been sniffing glue, or what?

Just your regular week at JWFan my dear Kühni. You should know by now all threads devolve into movie quotes sooner rather than later.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

That's a big problem. There could be a recall on this.

Agreed, I'm really really surprised this happened.  

The knowledge that the finale was recorded in L.A., where is that from? More of a request for some sort of reference, rather than claiming it wasn't.

Because that's a massive thing to get wrong. Although if it's just a credit issue, that's way less serious than forgetting to pay the AFM isn't it?

Does anyone else find a lot of the main score a bit muddy sounding, with the OST and the alternates sounding clearer and instruments circling more? I need to compare it to the leak later on, but some cues here definitely don't sound as good.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The knowledge that the finale was recorded in L.A., where is that from? More of a request for some sort of reference, rather than claiming it wasn't.

Because that's a massive thing to get wrong. Although if it's just a credit issue, that's way less serious than forgetting to pay the AFM isn't it?

Does anyone else find a lot of the main score a bit muddy sounding, with the OST and the alternates sounding clearer and instruments circling more? I need to compare it to the leak later on, but some cues here definitely don't sound as good.

On 7/17/2018 at 6:38 AM, Jim Ware said:

Not a rumour.  From the Silvestri interview in FSM vol.6 no.4 (April/May 2001):

image.png

The same issue also includes a full page ad from the Los Angeles Recording Musicians Association congratulating him on his score:

image.png

Blah not sure who did the remastering/remix for this release but looking at the wave forms it's got the loudness wars going on.  Having to run the cues through ReLife to get them to the same levels as The Mummy's release.

11 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Blah not sure who did the remastering/remix for this release but looking at the wave forms it's got the loudness wars going on.  Having to run the cues through ReLife to get them to the same levels as The Mummy's release.

Fuck...

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

It sounds fine to me...

I can tell during the more action pieces especially if a track has soft music at first then gets the action parts IE: Evy Kidnapped! and especially "My First Bus Ride".

On 7/21/2018 at 4:15 PM, kaseykockroach said:

I wonder if brick-walling isn't a prominent issue in car-listening, because hot diggety dang, it sounds fine to me. 

That's pretty much the reason they do it. And for public transport commuters. They don't give a shit about people who listen on a hi-fi.

On 7/21/2018 at 8:12 AM, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I love the whole brick wall trick, it was beautiful, these... bastards.

My house is built from brick walls and ity absolutely fine. ;)

@kaseykockroach you have to admot this score is quite amazing for a 3-week rush job.

Karol

If I wasn't told this was a rush job, I honestly wouldn't have guessed. 

Even the redundant cues on the complete score just left me thinking "Well, that's how it is when you're tasked with doing nearly two hours of music". It's very rare I can stand a score listening experience that goes over 75+ minutes.

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

My house is built from brick walls and ity absolutely fine. ;)

@kaseykockroach you have to admot this score is quite amazing for a 3-week rush job.

Karol

I always guffaw when people say "75 min+ is too long!". It sounds so wimpy and meek. Like the moment the music goes over 75 mins, they start shivering like scared little mice!

You know what I do, man? As long as it's good I continue listening! I blast that goodness! It's nutritious for the ears! It's more invigorating than any amount of caffeine! I can stand it being long Mmmm-hm! I'm a tough dude, I can devour that noise like a steak cooked medium well!

;)

11 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

If I wasn't told this was a rush job, I honestly wouldn't have guessed. 

There are numerous repeated sections that pop up virtually unchanged multiple times, usually a dead giveaway.

No. Like Goldsmith's Mummy, this one was written at a fairly late stage because effects and cutting weren't finished. Both composers had time to develop their thematic material before they wrote the score proper.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

Yeah, but I anticipated some monotony in a score that's almost two hours long.  

If you cut all the dead air, there's not much more than an hour remaining (though i hear there are guys who love to listen to stuff like 'Pygmy Attack', which i immediately deleted).

In comparison, I only kept the end credits suite to Predator 2 as I felt that's all I needed in that case (I don't care much for the first score/film). Love that score, but in terms of isolated listening, the end credits quenches my thirst for it enough.

Which is to say, I'm probably a nincompoop.

Perhaps a revisit is in order, though either way, that end credits is poifect! 

Love the movie too. I'm the only man on earth (as far as I'm aware) who thinks it's way better than the first one. Or more to my taste, I guess.

WOW! No idea how I missed this thread (and The Mummy's). These are two of my favorite scores, largely due to the fusion with Middle Eastern melodies and instruments.

What are the advantages to these new sets vs. the complete bootlegs that have been available for so long? Is the quality much improved over those?

(It's also interesting the page for The Mummy notes remastering, but I don't see any mention of it on Returns'.)