Alan Silvestri THE MUMMY RETURNS Intrada 2CD set!

Brundlefly

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Live is nothing like those other bands and I'm not sure why Disco Stu is connecting them.  Weird.

Nothing?  What?  Big crunching guitars with melodramatic annoying wailing “sensitive” dudes who I just want to punch in the face.  Shit bands like Lifehouse are definitely in the same lineage as Live.  The 90s destroyed mainstream rock.  Of course a lot of amazing music got made but what got popular got worse and worse until rock is just a husk now

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nothing?  What?  Big crunching guitars with melodramatic annoying wailing “sensitive” dudes who I just want to punch in the face.  Shit bands like Lifehouse are defyin the same lineage as Live.  The 90s destroyed mainstream rock.  Of course a lot of amazing music got made but what got popular got worse and worse until rock is just a husk now

Preach brother!

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nothing?  What?  Big crunching guitars with melodramatic annoying wailing “sensitive” dudes who I just want to punch in the face.  Shit bands like Lifehouse are definitely in the same lineage as Live.  The 90s destroyed mainstream rock.  Of course a lot of amazing music got made but what got popular got worse and worse until rock is just a husk now

I disagree.  Live doesn't sound like those other bands to me.  

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

I disagree.  Live doesn't sound like those other bands to me.  

They're certainly not as bad, and are better musicians for sure.  But one lead to the other in my mind.

I was half expecting to read that My First Bus Ride (Original) and Dirigible Montage were recorded in L.A.. Both of those have, to my ears, a really muddy mix, with the brass buried somewhere in the strings. The OST versions (and the revised Bus Ride) sound great in comparison.

Whether there's an isolated mixing issue or they're different recordings, I don't know, but something's up there.

Edit - Sandcastles too.

One day I'd love to hear the story of how the hell they forgot mentioning the LA sessions, and why they sound the way they do. Were they recorded badly, kept badly, or they found them later in the album production process and didn't want to push it back and hire a magician to make something of them?

The Intrada site data is incomplete, CD2 Tracks 9, 20 and 21 were also recorded in LA.

It even varies from track to track, probably based on how orchestrally busy they are or what segments they focus on. Evy's Flashback Swordfight (which is low moods, then solo percussion, then DOMINE-ting choir - sorry) and the Credits (again overpowering choir, percussion and that guitar thing) are pretty well off compared to the rest, which sometimes are just a little bit off, sometimes sound positively muffled and muddy, and some of them occupy a very narrow stereo field. The choir, anvils and more exotic percussion really pop out with their sound, even though the booklet says Silvestri made a big thing out of recording everything together and not striping anything. So it could just be a rushed recording setup - "Eh, the movie has to open in 3 weeks and this won't be on the album anyway, who cares?".

OK, the credits isn't perfect either, the brass is a mess, but that only really comes out at the solo at 2:15, and it is much better than in the movie, in which the sound even pops wide into the left channel from muffled during the final fadeout! Is that a fault with the rip I got or with the movie?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

One day I'd love to hear the story of how the hell they forgot mentioning the LA sessions, and why they sound the way they do. Were they recorded badly, kept badly, or they found them later in the album production process and didn't want to push it back and hire a magician to make something of them?

Nah, they sound the same on the boot. My money would be on a rushed last minute recording. Possibly with your suggestion that Silvestri knew they wouldn't make the album so didn't worry about how they sounded.

Why the London cues vary in sound so much... who knows. All I can see is that most of it sounds really great, with a handful of cues dotted around sounding like the mix is all wrong.

Just now, Richard Penna said:

Nah, they sound the same on the boot. My money would be on a rushed last minute recording. Possibly with the suggestion below that Silvestri knew they wouldn't make the album so didn't worry about how they sounded.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

So it could just be a rushed recording setup - "Eh, the movie has to open in 3 weeks and this won't be on the album anyway, who cares?".

;) 

3 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

The Mummy Returns LA recordings were stored in the same place as the ROTJ score and the Botanicus Theme.

In the empty swimming pool of that one guy that nobody knows.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

even though the booklet says Silvestri made a big thing out of recording everything together and not striping anything.

I believe I recall Dennis Sands saying that he's not fond of striping and prefers recording the whole orchestra as one.

So My First Bus Ride, one of the main signature standout tracks of this score, has a pretty noticeable performance flub in the version included in the main presentation at 1:08, while we know from the booklet there are at least 4 takes to choose replacement bars from (unless the takes between 11 and 14 were warmups, or planned inserts before they decided to rerecord the entire thing), or just substitute them with the ones from the original take included on Disc 2, which doesn't have the flub. There are other examples where certain bars from different takes are used. Is this the level of attention to detail that we're dealing with here?

Unfortunately once you get used to the Matessino treatment of expansions, with his intricate ear for detail, nothing else comes close.

Gave my second listen to The Mummy over the weekend and the brickwalling just kills the listening experience; the brass and percussion is so "hot". Surely the score wasn't mixed/recorded this way?

Would love to see a spectrogram comparison with the OST. 

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

Forget the brickwalling, the limited stereo field is a much bigger issue here. 

Care to elaborate? I did notice the score has a real lack of "space". The orchestra doesn't breathe and it doesn't sound much like a normal recording studio. It often sounds very mono. 

So far I've only noticed very narrow stereo fields in the Returns LA cues, I only have minor preference issues with the mastering of the Goldsmith one like the overpowering brass in Tuareg Attack or the newly surfaced synths in The Sarcophagus.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Care to elaborate? I did notice the score has a real lack of "space". The orchestra doesn't breathe and it doesn't sound much like a normal recording studio. It often sounds very mono. 

I already specified in this thread (and partly in the corresponding Mummy thread): regardless of the session involved a lot of cues have a narrow stereo field, sometimes approaching mono quality. If you use headphones and compare the major tracks of the Decca and Intrada, you will notice that even London cues like 'Evy Kidnapped' severely reduce the stereo spread. Even within Intrada's set you'll notice cues that sound wide and open (Legend of the Scorpion King), others (Scorpion Shoes, Canyon Deluge, Evy Kidneapped and so on) have this aforementioned tinny sound.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Just that in this case you would be afraid to address it, or you risk a dressdown from Doug Fake and his minions.

I don't have any idea what this comment means, nor who Doug Fake is.

He sounds like a bit of a phony, though.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

I already specified in this thread (and partly in the corresponding Mummy thread): regardless of the session involved a lot of cues have a narrow stereo field, sometimes approaching mono quality. If you use headphones and compare the major tracks of the Decca and Intrada, you will notice that even London cues like 'Evy Kidnapped' severely reduce the stereo spread. Even within Intrada's set you'll notice cues that sound wide and open (Legend of the Scorpion King), others (Scorpion Shoes, Canyon Deluge, Evy Kidneapped and so on) have this aforementioned tinny sound.

Are there any other Silvestri or Goldsmith Intrada releases with these issues? I've never had any problem with anything from Intrada (so far?).

10 hours ago, Holko said:

So My First Bus Ride, one of the main signature standout tracks of this score, has a pretty noticeable performance flub in the version included in the main presentation at 1:08, while we know from the booklet there are at least 4 takes to choose replacement bars from (unless the takes between 11 and 14 were warmups, or planned inserts before they decided to rerecord the entire thing), or just substitute them with the ones from the original take included on Disc 2, which doesn't have the flub. There are other examples where certain bars from different takes are used. Is this the level of attention to detail that we're dealing with here?

The performance flub has always been there on the album (which I think is take 14 in it's entirety, despite what the liner notes say).  The film uses take 14 for the most part, with the unflubbed performance of that section edited in from take 11.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I don't have all but i don't know of any major new-ish release with problems as glaring as TMR.

So you don't consider TM a release with glaring problems? (I don't have the CD yet and want to know whether it's justified looking forward to it.)

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Intrada initially screwed up the Rambo 2 release.

It also sounds too bright.

The sound issue with The Mummy Returns is the same as the boot.  I think Intrada used the same masters or something similar.  I think it was just how the score was recorded is why it sounds like it does.

There really isn't much wrong with The Mummy. It sounds hotter than the album, but not problematically so. It's more apparent when you compare the new mix with the album cues, obviously. My biggest annoyance may in fact be that Goldsmith's original Sand Volcano is only present in the album mix, which sounds a bit jarring if you put it at the end of the full score instead of the copy paste credits.