Favourite Memories: The Fellowship of the Ring (Current)

Hello all!

I thought of this thread a while back, and have decided to put my idea into action. That idea is as follows: this thread is a place where we can share our favourites memories and moments, perhaps reminisce, of some great films of the past and present. Each week or so a new film can be brought up, and lovers of the movie can discuss that scene that will always stick with them, or that moment that defined all. It's all a matter of opinionated recollection. 

Seeing as I had a lot of fun re watching one of my old favourites, Jaws, a week ago, I feel that the 1975 thriller would be a good place to start. 

Remember, you can share a takeaway, a moment you always remember or just really love. 

Thanks!

-Jerry

I have plenty of great memories of watching some of my now-favorite movies for the first time, but the one that lingers with me the most is catching The Shining for the first time on TV. Really the film that introduced me to Kubrick and his work. Still one of the best horror movies ever.

I once was scrolling through photos on my phone during lunch break at one of my old jobs.
I forgot I had considerably inappropriate fanart of Raven from Teen Titans saved in my gallery. 
I was reminded of such just in time for a co-worker of the female persuasion to pass by. A brief glance over my shoulder was all that was needed, for I was not able to hit the 'delete' button fast enough.
I ended my lunch break early and went back to work.

On 7/13/2018 at 12:16 PM, Jerry said:

Keep that chum line going!

On 7/13/2018 at 4:02 PM, Jerry said:

We got a bunch of calls about that karate school. It seems the nine year olds from the school have been karateing the picket fences.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:07 PM, Richard said:

"Slow ahead", "slow ahead". Huh. I can go slow ahead, just come down here, and chum some of this shit.

On 7/17/2018 at 10:52 AM, Jerry said:

You yell barracuda, everyone goes 'huh', 'what?'. You yell shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July.

On 7/17/2018 at 12:57 PM, Richard said:

A whaaaaaat?

On 7/18/2018 at 12:00 PM, Jerry said:

Related image

These are all my favourite Jaws moments, quoted from the Official Jerry Thread.

On the topic of Jaws: in high school I watched that movie so many times, introducing many people to it over the years. I even wrote a school paper detailing Quint's arc as archetypal tragic character! Once, my friends and I did a double billing of Black Swan and Jaws...big mistake. Black Swan was so draining, it was a real slog to get through Spielberg's breakout movie!

I felt disappointed that this was the first impression I gave my friends of this lovely movie, so the next morning, I noticed a glass of red wine my mom had left out (bad habit), pointed it out to my friends, and said, "Jaws is like this glass of wine. If you look at it from a certain angle, all you see is this one opaque color, but if you look at it from the right light"--I held the glass in a way that the wine caught the sunlight in the room--"there's all kinds of nuances and shadings you can pick out."

A bit of interesting trivia which I hold some respect. Jaws (1975) is considered the most underrated film of all time, according to the IMDb voting stats. In other words, Jaws (1975) has the highest difference of score of any movie when comparing its high score from the Top 1000 experienced voters to the lower, public rating.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

On the topic of Jaws: in high school I watched that movie so many times, introducing many people to it over the years. I even wrote a school paper detailing Quint's arc as archetypal tragic character! Once, my friends and I did a double billing of Black Swan and Jaws...big mistake. Black Swan was so draining, it was a real slog to get through Spielberg's breakout movie!

I felt disappointed that this was the first impression I gave my friends of this lovely movie, so the next morning, I noticed a glass of red wine my mom had left out (bad habit), pointed it out to my friends, and said, "Jaws is like this glass of wine. If you look at it from a certain angle, all you see is this one opaque color, but if you look at it from the right light"--I held the glass in a way that the wine caught the sunlight in the room--"there's all kinds of nuances and shadings you can pick out."

Brilliant!

So if we've all shared our favourite memories of Jaws, let us move on to another great groundbreaking movie, coincidentally another Spielberg-Williams collaboration: Jurassic Park. Pick a moment that stuck with you, that you'll always remember or always love, perhaps both. 

The Brachiosaur scene, the T-Rex scene, the Velociraptors looking in the kitchen window...if I saw it as a kid, I'd have shat my pants both from the awesomeness and from being terrified. It's possible I wouldn't have gotten past the opening.

Huh. Interesting. I always liked when the T-Rex ate that guy on the toilet. Serves him right for leaving the kids.

Image result for jurassic park t rex toilet gif

Probably wouldn't use the bathroom for weeks after that.

No menthol?

On 7/19/2018 at 6:13 PM, Pellaeon said:

We tried to watch Jaws for the first time a few weeks ago, and stopped when it seemed obvious a kid was about to die. Too scary!

No shit? Kids die. It's the world we live in. Get used to it. If you get squeamish at that, don't even think about watching THE LOVELY BONES.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Another great shot is the water rippling and the thud of the footsteps. Great Spielbergian suspense.

You can thank Earth Wind And Fire, for that!

3 hours ago, Richard said:

No shit? Kids die. It's the world we live in. Get used to it.

Okay, sure, whatever floats your boat. We just watched a different movie. E.T., as I recall.

THE LOVELY BONES is a great movie. On my Top 10 that year.

As for the topic at hand, I'm terrible at remembering such things (what was the first movie you saw, what was the first soundtrack you got etc.). But I obviously do remember my enthusiasm for JURASSIC PARK at the time. I saw it in the local theatre first (I think twice), and then a few months later got the VHS. I intended to get the CD too, but before I had the cash to do so, a friend of mine bought it, and I made a cassette copy from his CD. I played that cassette to death on my stereo and walkman before I eventually replaced it with a CD myself a few years later.

In the summer of 1993, I was 15 years old, so in the perfect target audience for a film like that. I was also slowly starting to explore John Williams more seriously -- what I could find without the aid of the internet, anyway. It's right there at the very start of my serious film music interest.

Of course, today it's my alltime favourite score and the film is in my top 3 of all time. Seen it 60+ times. Listened to the OST many hundreds of times.

My first memory of Jurassic Park is one of disappointment. I didn't like the way Spielberg turned Crichton's violent, dark novel into a family film (though the score grabbed right away).  Among my friends there was a schism between those who had read the book and those who hadn't. 

Once I started watching the film on its own terms, however, I grew to like it and today my appreciation of it is pretty high.  

I remember watching it countless times as a lad, and having to walk out of the room every time before the "Where's the goat?" scene came up.

I could handle anything as a kid except jump scares, even when I knew they were coming! 

Now, rewatching it for the 5th or so time, I do appreciate JP very high as an action/tension/effects movie, nothing more. It does its job but doesn't rise much above like Jaws does. Jaws is a character drama, and you spend much time with the trio just talking and being themselves. JP has the godawful Sattler/Hammond conversation, which is horrible apart form the Petticoat Lane lines.

"I was overwhelmed by the power of this place; but I made a mistake, too. I didn't have enough respect for that power and it's out now. The only thing that matters now are the people we love: Alan and Lex and Tim."

How the hell does Koepp still get jobs?

4 hours ago, Holko said:

Now, rewatching it for the 5th or so time, I do appreciate JP very high as an action/tension/effects movie, nothing more. It does its job but doesn't rise much above like Jaws does. Jaws is a character drama, and you spend much time with the trio just talking and being themselves.

That’s a fair statement.

Although I don’t know that I would call Jaws a character drama outright. But it does have more dramatic elements than Jurassic Park does.

Seriously though, while hardly a classic and definitely a step down, Jaws 2 isn't a bad film. It actually has some memorable moments, some good performances, a fantastic score and probably the best tag line in history. It's not a great film by any stretch, and it's doubtful I'll ever watch it again, but I think it's a better sequel to Jaws than TLW is to JP.

Jaws 2 has the score and it's got the tagline. Otherwise it's a physically hurtful sit. 

But I love it anyway because I love pain and I love watching people get mauled by beasts because I'm not well. Marge's death is awesome!

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

afterwards it just went as far downhill as sequels can go.

Of this there is no doubt.

Pity Spielberg never made his Indianapolis film. Now that's something I'd have liked to have seen. Maybe told from a young Quint's POV as a flashback and bookended by the iconic scene on the Orca.

Jurassic World actually put me to sleep. I preferred Fallen Kingdom over it. Jurassic Park was the best.

Jurassic Park > The Lost World > Fallen Kingdom > Jurassic World > Jurassic Park 3

Jurassic Park was the first huge movie to reach a non-soviet, not closed Hungary almost immediately (still a few months after the premiere, but close enough) and of course it had to be hyped: how else than a cheesy, mildly pedophiliac variety number in the localised Wheel of Fortune?

Translation: (didn't bother with the rhyming)

Spoiler

I'll take you to the Zoo, my dear little Pete

That's too boring, rather take me to the movies, Dad

OK, son, we'll have a look at Marlene Dietrich

Greta Garbo and the pretty Kastler Twins (?)

Jean Gabin can play to us on the big screen

And both breasts of Bridget Bardot will show up nicely

Stallone and Schwarzenegger will be mighty great

Boring as hell, rather watch some dinosaurs!

(chorus)

Jurassic, Jurassic, dinos are the star

10 million Hungarians only wait for you

Jurassic, Jurassic, fairy-tale park

Everyone who's a dino is with us!

(son) Look, Daddy, a dino like this is a nice creature

(son) Hence come closer, don't only be a big guy at home

(dad) I'm a little afraid, that's a normal state for me

(dad) I've seen, my dear Son, a lot of big animals

(son) The calm forces are basically radiating from him

(dad) If I look at him, the clock inside me surely does stop

(son) Don't make a scene, dinos only eat grass

(dad) Yeah, until one puts the meat-bucket in front of it!

(chorus)

(son) Look how long its tail is (...) (I can't make out the rest)

(dad) Wherever it steps the foundation will always be rocked

(son) It's sneaking so cutely with its behemoth body

(dad) How could it have entered through the Verecke ravine? (entrance where our forefathers entered the Carpathian basin according to legend)

(son) Ancient family's proud descendant is this reptile here

(dad) Though the whole bloodline has not yet been uncovered

(son) Died out 100 million years ago, left its teeth there

(dad) Considering that, it saved itself cunningly

*chorus starts while playing with a goddamn Godzilla blowup doll and kissing your own son on the mouth*

Obviously, neither the singers, the songwriter or the directors had any clue what Jurassic Park was about outside of "a theme park with dinos". This played on TV 3 months after the Hungarian premiere.

• 2 weeks later...

The next Favourite Memories segment is for The Lord of the Rings, but firstly The Fellowship of the Ring. The series was a massive and revolutionary adaptation of the Tolkien work of the same title. I always remember this to be one of the most epic and daunting film series, with battles, adventures, and characters like no other. JW Fan is full of TLOTR enthusiasts. What's your favourite memory?

I hadn't seen this thread.  I'd rather share personal memories of the movies, if it's all the same.

JAWS:  This is one that I never watched until DVD, so I have no strong personal memories about it.  It's good.

JURASSIC PARK:  I saw this opening weekend in the theater.  I remember being at the community swimming pool, age 8, in the afternoon and my parents saying they were going to take us to this movie so we all packed up.  At the time, we went to the movies a ton (although never bought popcorn - we weren't rolling in the dough back then).  I hadn't heard about it, seen a trailer, etc - but man, it was a transformative experience.  Maybe was on the edge of my seat more than any movie previously had made me.  Made me love film.

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING:  I was working at a movie theater when this came out, age 17 - so my friends and I got to see it for free.  I had no real expectations of the movie itself.  I had tried to read The Hobbit maybe 6 years earlier and didn't care for it at the time, although it's now my favorite.  I had blind-bought the score album at Media Play (I pretty much spent all of my paychecks on scores at Media Play - past scores I knew, as well as blind buying tons) and had been blown away by it.  But as you know, quality scores don't always mean quality movies.

My one buddy had a little talking Gandalf toy from Burger King and we had no idea what it said, but our best dumb guess was "spank 12 on the inside!"  When Gandalf read, "Speak friend and enter" around the midpoint, we all had a nice moment of realization.  "Spank 12 on the inside" became a weird running joke for us for years, regardless.

I ended up seeing that movie in theaters for free like 4 more times.  And still worked at the theater for TTT and ROTK, although I went to the sold out midnight shows for those and had to pay for my ticket, in those situations.  All the additional screenings were free, though.