Bear McCreary's Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Fancyarcher

On 7/26/2018 at 3:09 AM, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I wonder if the classic Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah themes will reappear?

Apparently Mothra's theme isn't originally by Akira Ifukube as he didn't compose the first standalone Mothra film it appeared in. Though I thought he utilised the theme from Mothra as "Mahala Mothra" and wrote his own theme.

2 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

It's been years since I last watched the 1961 Mothra, but I recall the music being totally different to what Ifukube came up with in subsequent films. Not sure really.

It's this that was adapted by Akira Ifukube into "Mahala Mothra":

6 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I hope this one will have interstellar cockroaches disguised as asians in bad suits.

With names too difficult so they chose the name X.

• 2 months later...

is the music in this trailer Bear Mc Creary?I sort of like it (the choral parts in the second half)

also the trailer is really cool .Makes me want to see the film

16 minutes ago, King Mark said:

is the music in this trailer Bear Mc Creary?I sort of like it (the choral parts in the second half)

also the trailer is really cool .Makes me want to see the film

That's Debussy's piece "Clair de Lune."  No idea who arranged it here, probably a trailer music company.

14 hours ago, gkgyver said:

The Godzilla theme reworking in the first video with chorus sounds hideously RC trailerish.

Actually, it kind of reminds me of the theme to King Kong vs Godzilla somewhat, but it definitely works in context with the rest of the piece in the second video. It's either a battle piece (given the use of the 'Coming Ashore' motif before the March) or intended to be the end credits. Feels too long to be a main title piece. Either way, I think it will definitely come across a whole lot better when we can listen to it in the album itself.

10 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I'm disappointed Desplat didn't return, but I've liked McCreary recently, so we'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic though.

I think had Desplat returned, he would have eschewed any reference to the original themes in any way, especially given he stated he has never heard them. I like his Godzilla score, there's no denying it fits the film well, but I think for a film that appears to be intended to be a love letter to the franchise, it was more prudent to have somebody willing to utilise Akira Ifukube's themes.

5 hours ago, Gistech said:

Actually, it kind of reminds me of the theme to King Kong vs Godzilla somewhat, but it definitely works in context with the rest of the piece in the second video. It's either a battle piece (given the use of the 'Coming Ashore' motif before the March) or intended to be the end credits. Feels too long to be a main title piece. Either way, I think it will definitely come across a whole lot better when we can listen to it in the album itself.

I think had Desplat returned, he would have eschewed any reference to the original themes in any way, especially given he stated he has never heard them. I like his Godzilla score, there's no denying it fits the film well, but I think for a film that appears to be intended to be a love letter to the franchise, it was more prudent to have somebody willing to utilise Akira Ifukube's themes.

Meh. Even as someone who’s a fan of the series, I’m not overly attached to those themes.

• 4 months later...

I have to say, that particular cue fits very well within the existing soundscape of music brought in by the 2014 film, I think. I love the blending in of Akira Ifukube's Godzilla Resurrection motif.

This is the track list, sourced from that video:

1. Godzilla (feat. Serj Tankian)

2. Godzilla Main Title

3. Memories of San Francisco

4. The Larva

5. Welcome to Monarch

6. Outpost 32

7. Ice Breaker

8. Rise of Ghidorah

9. Old Rivals

10. The First Gods

11. Rodan

12. A Mass Awakening

13. The One Who is Many

14. Queen of the Monsters

15. For Andrew

16. Stealing the Orca

17. The Hollow Earth

18. The Key to Coexistence

19. Goodbye Old Friend

20. Rebirth

21. Fog Over Fenway

22. Battle in Boston

23. Redemption

24. King of the Monsters

25. Ghidorah Theme

26. Mothra’s Song

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Those are both the two tracks already released in full on Youtube.

I didn't post the pop song.  It's a remake of the Blue Oyster Cult song from the 70s.  I mean, it's fun, but didn't seem most relevant to what people here would want to hear first.

EDIT: You ninja'd me with your edit to your post!

Ohey that first track uses the zarathrusta-esque buildup from Godzilla 2014. And another part sounds like this 

The rest is also suitably epic.

The liner notes got posted. Warning about spoilers if you choose to read the lyrics: https://www.watertower-music.com/releases/release.php?title=godzillakotm

This particular bit is interesting:

Themes were as important to the score as the voices performing them. For Godzilla, I chose to incorporate and adapt the legendary Akira Ifukube’s iconic theme, and for Mothra, Yuji Koseki’s immortal “Mothra’s Song”, both being classic themes from the franchise’s origins. Filtering them through my own sensibilities, I hoped to form a connection between Ifukube’s uniquely brilliant style and the aesthetics of modern blockbusters.

For the remaining characters and story arcs, I composed all new themes. As an homage to his biology, Ghidorah’s Theme is a prayer to the number three, built from three-note groups structured into larger three-note phrases. The brassy Monarch Theme gives the film a heroic and muscular sense of modernity. The Family Theme, with its gentle piano melody and sul tasto string orchestra foundation, supports the emotional core of the story. The Ancient Theme, which opens the film, is meant to sound primitive and mysterious, an other-worldly echo from a long-lost epoch when these titans ruled the Earth.

It means Ghidorah and Rodan have entirely new themes, while Godzilla and Mothra retain their Japanese themes.

2 hours ago, Borodin said:

Who thinks Bear Grylls should get into film scoring. Think of all the weird survival noises he's heard throughout his life.

01. Better Drink my own Piss 4.55

The japanese men's chorus is a nice touch, the rest is just hoary trailer noise turned up to 11. The song is, of course, sublime. Waiting what the rest stacks up.

A bit more modern than I care for but adding Godzilla’s theme is a nice touch. The chorus is also a nice addition. 

A shame we won’t hear Ghidorah and Rodan’s theme. I’m curious to hear what 🐻 came up with. 

I was wondering if he would go with Yūji Koseki’s original Mothra song over two Ifukube composed. 

Mark, Fabulin says you can only see this once the weekend it comes out. 

Yes sir. 

Here’s some more info on the score, some of it is repeated from the press release up above.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2019/04/28/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-press-release/

I didn't like the McCreary track Old Rivals at all. Just a loud, murky mess of modern bombast and generic choral elements. Everything I feared it would be. And I'm not surprised the YouTube commenters go "OMG SO EPIC"

Choral is great when appropriate to accentuate something really superduper inportant, but when it just becomes modern, techno, orchestral white noise, I get bored of it easily. I even think Williams overdoes it a bit and it ends up sounding like church music. I think he needs to dial it way back.

• 2 weeks later...