Bear McCreary's Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Fancyarcher

This score was pretty good. I can tell McCreary was very motivated for this project with well done homages to the original Godzilla and Mothra themes. His own theme to King Ghidorah was very impressive and scream villain the entire way. The only thing I didn't like was the Japanese war shouts and the monk chants. Most of those were completely unnecessary and adds nothing to the score.

The film was full of cheese, but it was highly entertaining. The monster fights were top notched. This was probably the most well balanced Godzilla film yet. I thought the 40% Rottentomatoes score was way too low. If Detective Pikachu can manage 66%, so should Godzilla.

2 hours ago, p0llux said:

The film was full of cheese, but it was highly entertaining. The monster fights were top notched. This was probably the most well balanced Godzilla film yet. I thought the 40% Rottentomatoes score was way too low. If Detective Pikachu can manage 66%, so should Godzilla.

Critics plainly didn't get it. It wasn't "clever" or "postmodern" enough for them. They weren't prepared for Dougherty's ambitious world-building and visual storytelling by attempting to make something niche like giant monsters into a Marvel style mainstream. As for general audiences, apparently it just didn't reach that desired level of "four quadrant" enough for them.

3 hours ago, The Original said:

Hmm I ordered it from Amazon, so we'll see what I got in this roulette.

You bought this score? :S 

On 6/3/2019 at 4:06 PM, Dieter Stark said:

David Arnold's music here is still the coolest Godzilla musical moment to me. It's kinda funny in the context of the movie because you barely see Godzilla (This is not his big official reveal) except for his feet and a bunch of fish and debris flying everywhere, car crashes etc. It's pretty much exactly how it would be if he just emerged into Manhattan, though.

TOO BAD I CAN'T HEAR A THING OVER THE SOUND EFFECTS 

21 hours ago, The Original said:

I collect many things Godzilla related. And every Godzilla score. It's just that important to me.

Same here.

I am considering buying from Amazon JP (when JP edition is available) or psychical CD from store (so that I can tell if it is CDr).

A thought came to me: could you imagine the pun track titles had Giacchino scored this?

Ice Cold Betrayal

Where Is Your Godzilla Now?

Maddie At Mom

Ghidorah Boston Things Up

On 6/13/2019 at 4:29 AM, Gistech said:

A thought came to me: could you imagine the pun track titles had Giacchino scored this?

Ice Cold Betrayal

Where Is Your Godzilla Now?

Maddie At Mom

Ghidorah Boston Things Up

Mothra Dearest

Well I can confirm that Amazon is indeed mailing out CD-Rs of this score, since I just received one myself. What the hell is going on over there? Well I just ordered one off eBay where the seller asserts that the item comes straight from Watertower Records, and not Amazon.

5 hours ago, The Original said:

Well I can confirm that Amazon is indeed mailing out CD-Rs of this score, since I just received one myself. What the hell is going on over there? Well I just ordered one off eBay where the seller asserts that the item comes straight from Watertower Records, and not Amazon.

So what does that look like then?

Karol

13 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So what does that look like then?

Karol

I'll post a pic later, but it's convincingly good because the booklet and rear print is competent, until closer inspection you see the corner folds really look like folded paper and not that factory zip look that you normally see on official covers. And the discs themselves each have an image but it does look "printed" on with a glossy finish. Not to mention the underside with that give-away green-tinged CD-R appearance.

Another weird anomaly is the discs each have a barcode on the printed side. I've never seen that before.

The Watertower proper CD release also has that top sticker seal, whereas the CD-R does not. I'll let you know any other differences when I receive it.

Looks like I was lucky enough to get the real deal, then. Thanks for the clarification.

I am a little curious as to what's going on here, though. Is this Amazon going "welp, we haven't enough CDs to fulfil orders... better make some CD-Rs and hope that shuts them up"?

Anyone else seen it in real life stores? I haven't seen it anywhere in Sydney yet, and the 2014 Godzilla was everywhere when it came out. Might pressed versions of KotM end up as some rare and elusive collector's item? Much like so many other Japanese Godzilla CDs, it's almost fitting.

It'd be strange if that did happen. The Japanese Godzilla CDs are one thing but this is a score to a major Western movie (regardless of its Japanese roots).

Has anybody approached WaterTower music with this to see if they are aware of the issue?

19 minutes ago, The Original said:

Anyone else seen it in real life stores? I haven't seen it anywhere in Sydney yet, and the 2014 Godzilla was everywhere when it came out. Might pressed versions of KotM end up as some rare and elusive collector's item? Much like so many other Japanese Godzilla CDs, it's almost fitting.

I saw it over here (UK). Same one I've got. It has "manufactured in Mexico" printed on the plastic case (not inlay). No tinge on the discs.

Karol

It is weird that no official Japan version release yet.

You would assume that they consider this seriously because Japanese love soundtracks, plus this is a Godzilla score with tradition themes. So there should be a pressed CD version, but not only mp3 for download.

But no.

There was suppose to be an import version by Rambling Record. It was listed on AmazonJP, but pull down later. And no news of it so far.

Weird.

Apparently I am a minority here. I think the score showcases a good example of writing brilliant music for a film.

You can read my thoughts here: https://soundtrackworld.com/2019/06/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-bear-mccreary/

I ordered my CD using an amazon reseller. It should be a regular CD **knock on wood**

On 6/17/2019 at 5:41 AM, Gistech said:

Looks like I was lucky enough to get the real deal, then. Thanks for the clarification.

I am a little curious as to what's going on here, though. Is this Amazon going "welp, we haven't enough CDs to fulfil orders... better make some CD-Rs and hope that shuts them up"?

Amazon routinely manufactures their own CDs to appease crazy niche markets because it's a dying industry. They've been doing it for over a decade and always note it on the product page.

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 11.55.10 AM.png

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

Amazon routinely manufactures their own CDs to appease crazy niche markets because it's a dying industry. They've been doing it for over a decade and always note it on the product page.

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 11.55.10 AM.png

Where in that "Note" does it mention that the Amazon-manufactured product will look crappy/different from the regular one?

12 minutes ago, Locrius said:

Where in that "Note" does it mention that the Amazon-manufactured product will look crappy/different from the regular one?

Buyer beware. Contact Amazon and they'll refund your money.

I didn't know that back in the day, Ifukube had like one week to do his scores. Just wow. And composers like McCreary have god knows how long, and come up with this.

I guess the first run batch were all regular CDs and once amazon sold out of those they started up with CDRs on demand. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI, FYE still has the Pressed CDs in stock. I ordered mine online and received it this week. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just received an email. "Apparently it is sold out, we expect a new delivery in week 32, our apologies."

Why am I not surprised

The score supported the movie, in good fashion, no more, no less.

But I kinda hoped that everyone would just die throughout watching it, everyone just everyone and jeezus what an annoying movie.

Score was alright, though, no fault there.

• 3 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 7:24 PM, Þekþiþm said:

I just can't believe we've reached an era where we need to check whether an official CD release we paid for is even a proper CD at all!

I'm just grateful to live in an era where CD's are still being made!

• 1 month later...

A small addendum: I was bummed we couldn't rip the post-credits stinger music from the film. Turns out it is on the OST. It's the opening of 'Fog Over Fenway', (0:00-0:25.5) with the real start of that track being omitted and thus far unreleased.

• 4 weeks later...

Not an easy task for me since ASCAP doesn't allow you to sort its catalog by work ID, but I went through and pulled all the titles I could find for KOTM. I'm not familiar with Bear's other work beyond TSCC, so correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems this is his first WB score, so it was easier to find these titles.

A Mass Awakening
A New Alpha
A Really Long Fortune Cookie
Antarctic Arrival
Antarctica Outpost 32
Battle In Boston
Breath of Relief
Coexist With Titans
Confronting Jonah
Detonator
Emergency Landing
Emma's Redemption
First Confrontation
Fog Over Fenway PT1
Fog Over Fenway PT2
For Andrew
Ghidorah Attack
Ghidorah Blast
Ghidorah Supercharged
Ghidorah Supercharged PT2
Ghidorah Theme
Godzilla Drop
Godzilla Emerges
Godzilla Revived
Godzilla Swims
Godzilla To The Rescue
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters - End Title Th (End Credits Score Suite PT1 / End Credits Score Suite PT3)
Goodbye Old Friend
Hollow Earth
Horny Murderous Carnivores
Ice Breaker
King Of The Monsters
Larval Chaos
Main Title
Memories Of San Francisco
Monster Zero
Mothra And Rodan Join The Fight
Mothra At The Waterfall
Mothra To The Rescue
Old Rivals
Our Only Shot
Outpost 32
Oxygen Destroyer
Plugging In
Powertools
Queen Of The Monsters
Reaching For Mothra
Red Godzilla
Roadside Assistance
Rodan
Rodan Chase
Rodan Emerges
Scattering The Wolves
Something Draws Near
Stealing The Orca
The Base Collapses
The Egg
The First Gods
The Key To Coexistence
The Larva
The One Who Is Many
The Orca
The Rise Of Ghidorah
Titans Cease
Welcome To Monarch

2 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Not an easy task for me since ASCAP doesn't allow you to sort its catalog by work ID, but I went through and pulled all the titles I could find for KOTM. I'm not familiar with Bear's other work beyond TSCC, so correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems this is his first WB score, so it was easier to find these titles.

I see in your list, some titles from 'Rest Stop: Don't Look Back' which was Warner distributed. 'All That Remains' and 'Trapped' are also from the first 'Rest Stop'.

Odd that the others didn't come up in the search, I would have originally noted them down also, unless I just overlooked them. Thanks for clarifying. It's a real pain that they're listed on ASCAP individually instead of together like other scores.

• 5 months later...