Bear McCreary's Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Fancyarcher

https://www.slashfilm.com/bear-mccreary-will-compose-godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-score-incorporating-classic-themes-comic-con-2018/

He'll be incorporating a lot of the classic themes too. I'm assuming they'll get suitable adaptations.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ugh, I’m not saying it can’t be good, but it’s a little frustrating when a composer I like gets their big break and has to work with existing themes

But what about when a composer you like gets their big break and wants to work with existing themes?

1 minute ago, Falafel said:

But what about when a composer you like gets their big break and wants to work with existing themes?

It’s better!  But still not ideal.  It was fine with Powell and Solo, he already has his franchise with a fantastic library of original themes (HTTYD)

2 minutes ago, Falafel said:

Well it seemed to work okay for Horner.

I'm not sure that's comparable.  He used the Courage fanfare as a lead-in to his main theme.  Just as Courage had used it on the original series, and just as Goldsmith used it.

The Godzilla March is a wholly contained melody.  Of course, he's a great composer and might bend and shape to fit in with his own original material.

We'll see!  I'm not unhopeful at all!

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not sure that's comparable.  He used the Courage fanfare as a lead-in to his main theme.  Just as Courage had used it on the original series, and just as Goldsmith used it.

Well he used it quite a bit in the underscore as well (and as the end of the credits), and even used the full theme including the twinkly bit and main melody.

Outside of the Main Titles Goldsmith only really used the theme in V, the uses of the theme in TMP were Courage composed.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

I sure hope he'll keep Desplat's theme as well. It was badass!

It was alright. Not really a theme, more of a rhythm. Ultimately average.

And I HATE tingling piano rambling for the finale of any movie with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

4 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

And I HATE tingling piano rambling for the finale of any movie with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

;)

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I trust the piano at the end of Jurassic Park doesn’t count as “tinkling”?  

Forget it, it's Gk.

Jurassic Park is John Williams playing one of his Top 5 most famous themes. And it's John Williams. He could have made a vuvuzela work in that scene.

I don't think I've ever pretended to love Shore's really low key scores.

Plus, a bit of a difference between using a piano for a quiet human drama scene, and freaking Godzilla.

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Jurassic Park is John Williams playing one of his Top 5 most famous themes. And it's John Williams. He could have made a vuvuzela work in that scene.

I don't think I've ever pretended to love Shore's really low key scores.

Plus, a bit of a difference between using a piano for a quiet human drama scene, and freaking Godzilla.

I think you underestimate the power of a piano

21 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

And Ifukube used piano often.

Not in a Hollywood way.

I still don't understand why my liking of Shore's music should somehow contradict my dislike of tingling piano use in an orchestral context.

It's overused, and vanilla.

Well this is interesting news. While I am not McCreary's greatest fan I hope he will hit it out of the park.

On 7/21/2018 at 11:35 PM, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Now don't be a Thomas Wanker.

On 7/21/2018 at 11:37 PM, kaseykockroach said:

Didn't he change his name to Wander?

To me he'll always be a Wanker.

23 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I still don't understand why my liking of Shore's music should somehow contradict my dislike of tingling piano use in an orchestral context.

It was a joke, get over it.

Oh wait:

On 7/21/2018 at 6:45 PM, Falafel said:

Forget it, it's Gk.