Have John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams ever surpassed Chicken Run?

On 7/22/2018 at 6:22 AM, Incanus said:

Also check out Kingdom of Heaven and Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas. 

Yep, those two are really something special.

Kingdom of Heaven is really clever too, because I think the Christian and Muslim themes are actually one and the same.

Plus Sinbad is just FUN!

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Kingdom of Heaven is really clever too, because I think the Christian and Muslim themes are actually one and the same.

Can you point out some timestamps? I've never really paid that much attention to KoH's themes.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Can you point out some timestamps? I've never really paid that much attention to KoH's themes.

Christian theme: "Burning the Past" at 00:53

Muslim theme: "Ibelin" at 00:05

The Muslim one is obviously much, MUCH faster and has very different orchestration.

I'm also not musically savvy enough to say for certain that they are the same.

But something about it seems very similar to me; and even my brother agrees.

CHICKEN RUN is great, no doubt about it! (although I'm not sure what's Powell and what's HGW).

In terms of Powell, I have other titles I value more -- FACE/OFF, the HTTYDs, the JASON BOURNEs, but it's up there for sure.

In terms of HGW, it's more tricky. I used to really dislike him in the 90s and early 2000s (I felt he was a totally anonymous composer who slightly sounded like Zimmer, but without the finesse or melodies) -- like SMILLA'S SENSE OF SNOW or THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS. But in later years, I've come to appreciate him more. I think KINGDOM OF HEAVEN and THE MARTIAN are marvelous, and I'd probably put them ahead of CHICKEN RUN. But again, it's just slightly behind them.

So in both composer's oeuvre, I'll put it among the top titles, but not the VERY top.

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I’m surprised you never latched onto his 00s work. It’s an electronic fueled style all his own. He was a match made in heaven for Tony Scott’s visual madness. 

Koray, are you familiar with any of his work with the Metal Gear Solid series? I remember enjoying some of the music from those games over the years, but I never knew what was from whom.

39 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I’m surprised you never latched onto his 00s work. It’s an electronic fueled style all his own. He was a match made in heaven for Tony Scott’s visual madness. 

Is this about HGW, and in response to me or Jurassic Shark's original post? Any particular 00s titles by HGW you'd recommend that you'd think I like?

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Is this about HGW, and in response to me or Jurassic Shark's original post? Any particular 00s titles by HGW you'd recommend that you'd think I like?

In response to you. Only reason I bring it up is because I recall you being a big non-film electronic music fan, and Harry’s style is probably as close as you can get to that. 

Enemy Of The State, Spy Game, Man On Fire, Deja Vu, The Taking Of Pelham 123, and Unstoppable are my favorites of his raw action style.