Do you own "The Indiana Jones Trilogy Album by City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra"?

Josh500

I usually don't buy rerecordings, bit this caught my attention. Saw it for 10 bucks at a used CD store. 

Do you guys own it, and how do you like it? Obviously, this won't be as good as the original soundtracks, but is this one still worth getting!? What do you think?

images (18).jpeg

images (19).jpeg

I've had it since it was released some 14 or so years ago... Haven't heard in years though. I recall that there were a couple of worthy things in there, but overall, not one of the most desirable re-recordings out there.

The Prague's brass section was still woefully bad back when this was recorded. It was always a shame, because the rest of the orchestra always played fine, particularly the very competent strings. I don't own this, but I remember sampling cues from it online years ago. The most irritating thing about the recording though is the frequent use of the march by TV programs and radio content. Licensing must be cheaper than the original recording I suppose. But it just sounds so bloody awful whenever I hear it sourced in that way.

The Indiana Jones Silva Screen compilation is indeed awful, as with many releases involving Silva Screen + City of Prague Philharmonic. I don't own a single one of these recordings, as far as I know. The only Silva Screen release in my collection that I'm aware of, is the 1995 expanded Raiders release (DCC + Silva Screen).

I own it.  It's okay.  I'm not as down on CoPPO as a lot of people around here.

I think it's also the only released recording of the film version of the ToD end credits, if that tickles you in any meaningful way.

I'm bummed that they never got around to doing recordings of any KOTCS concert works.  When that year's comp came around, they just rereleased their Raiders March recording.

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I own it.  It's okay.  I'm not as down on CoPPO as a lot of people around here.

Same here. Some of the 90s stuff is perhaps a bit uneven at times, but they're OK. And today, they're some of the best film music players around, period!

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Same here. Some of the 90s stuff is perhaps a bit uneven at times, but they're OK. And today, they're some of the best film music players around, period!

Yes, Tadlow completely redeemed them in my eyes (er, ears).

1 hour ago, MrScratch said:

Typical lackluster City of Prague effort but the highlight of the album is a surprisingly energetic performance of The Mine Car Chase.

I guess it was recorded the day they god paid.

47 minutes ago, Thor said:

The Hollywood players are more versatile though.

Perhaps in relation to film music. But Prague is more versatile in terms of genres, doing classical music and film music and 'pop-cum-classical' music with equal ease, LSO-style.

Hollywood session musicians don't just play on film scores.  They play on ALLL different kinds of stuff.  One week they might be playing a symphonic film score, the next week a big band jazz album, the week after on a Taylor Swift record or something.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Hollywood session musicians don't just play on film scores.  They play on ALLL different kinds of stuff.  One week they might be playing a symphonic film score, the next week a big band jazz album, the week after on a Taylor Swift record or something.

I know. But I tend to prefer the more fluid, "arty" performances of European orchestras than the technical details of American Hollywood musicians.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

And today, they're some of the best film music players around, period!

I agree. They're not shabby, not shabby at all.

Obviously, anything they record is inferior to the original with JW wielding the baton, but that doesn't mean this has to be bad. People sometimes forget how difficult to play some of these pieces are!

Double Trouble as played by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra is one of my all-time favourites! This could have been on the OS album, I often think.

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

the week after on a Taylor Swift record or something.

Dear Lord.

One week The Force Awakens, the next Taylor Swift? 😂 

OK, currently listening to this... Is this so terrible!?

I have it. It isn't very good. But I'm quite fond of the 2-3 tracks...Mine Car Chase, TOD end credits and The Map Room: Dawn with very prominent chorus. Aren't all those basically transcripts done by ear.

Karol

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Also "Bad Blood" is a good song don't @ me.  Especially the Ryan Adams version.

I only occassionally listen to Bryan Adams, who was da bomb long before Ryan Adams stole 9/10 of his name.

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I forgot.

Was the ToD soundtrack recorded by the LSO or HSO? 

TOD & TLC were recorded in LA.  Only Raiders was recorded with the LSO.  Also, the Sanskrit Chant stuff from TOD was recorded in Boston, at Symphony Hall.

Always found the choice of cues on this a bit odd, especially for TOD. A missed opportunity to make music available that was (at that stage) unreleased.

I seem to recall reading at the time that the Mine Car cue was sped up in post (something I'm itching to try on Debney/RSNO's languid reading of Superman's To the Lair).

90's CPPO + John Barry = sublime

90's CPPO + John Williams = not so much (although there were fun bits here and there)

Considering that the Maestro seems unwilling to allow The Rare Breed to be released, I'm very thankful for that generous re-recorded suite.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Quite right, Lee. @Josh500 don't buy it, even as a "completist" item; it's not worth it.

Too late. Today I got it. :D

Ah, what the hell, it was just 8 Euros, not 10. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

TOD & TLC were recorded in LA.  Only Raiders was recorded with the LSO.  Also, the Sanskrit Chant stuff from TOD was recorded in Boston, at Symphony Hall.

Gotta say, both ToD and LC (the originals) are exceptionally well performed. It could have been the LSO, you really wouldn't know the difference. 

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Gotta say, both ToD and LC (the originals) are exceptionally well performed. It could have been the LSO, you really wouldn't know the difference. 

Even to my bad ears, LC sounds nothing like the LSO.

I listened to this album again today, and it’s nowhere near as bad as I remember.  There are very few rerecordings of Indiana Jones music besides the Raiders March. So, it’s a charming album just for that.

What do you think of it, Josh?

52 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

I listened to this album again today, and it’s nowhere near as bad as I remember.  There are very few rerecordings of Indiana Jones music besides the Raiders March. So, it’s a charming album just for that.

What do you think of it, Josh?

I said it's well performed, as if it was played by the LSO. I was talking about the orchestra's skill....

But the recording itself doesn't sound like LSO, no.

On 7/24/2018 at 5:27 PM, pete said:

I like having a short 2-minute version of Nocturnal Activities.

Which ends right before the best part...

On 7/24/2018 at 7:48 PM, MrScratch said:

LC was recorded by Dan Wallin. No one could tell even if it was performed by the LSO.

I'm listening to this now.

Obviously it's nowhere near as good as the originals, but I don't find it so bad. As far as rerecordings without the involvement of JW go, this one's probably among the best.