How many Star Treks is The Orville better than?

Quintus

49 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I haven't seen The Orville (yet), but I can guarantee you it's better than Discovery.  Beyond that, I wouldn't bet on it.

DISCOVERY is my favourite STAR TREK show ever. Probably because it's the LEAST "Star Trek". Like STARGATE: UNIVERSE was the least "Stargate", and hence my favourite (outside the original movie).

2 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Remind me to never have a conversation with you about Star Trek, then.

Good idea! :)

8 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I haven't seen The Orville (yet), but I can guarantee you it's better than Discovery.  Beyond that, I wouldn't bet on it.

In no universe is it better than Discovery.

2 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

The thread title is awkwardly written.

Not if you can read!

3 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

The thread title is awkwardly written.

It's refreshing to read that even English speakers who live on the Queen's island will write a sentence that ends with a hanging preposition. 

6 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

"How many Star Treks are inferior to The Orville?"

There! Fixed!

The answer stays the same. ZERO

5 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

That's bad news for The Orville, because Discovery is awful.

You are so wrong.

5 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

You are so wrong.

I'm not, though.  I watched the whole season, it was bleh as fuck.

I'm starting to think the second season might be better, though.  Not sold on the fact that they're introducing a new Spock, but it makes sense: the timeline setting is a complete disaster, so naturally they are going to make it even more disastrous.

5 hours ago, Wojism said:

Star Trek peaked with Deep Space Nine. Everything that followed was inferior. 

Other than Discovery it's my least favorite.  Which is not to say I don't like it.  I like it fine.

7 hours ago, Wojism said:

I dislike the actress who plays Spock's sister. I didn't like her in TWD and I don't like her here. 

I like her; I think she's been given horrible material to play, though.  (That's true of Discovery AND The Walking Dead.)

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

:( Do you have hope for the next season, in the tradition of past Star Trek series?

I do, if only for Anson Mount playing Captain Pike.  And Culber is coming back, apparently, so that's cool too.  Plus they fired the head writers from last season, so that's a step in the right direction.

I won't automatically be tuning in this time, but I'll consider taking another look if there's very strong word of mouth surrounding it, which seems very unlikely to happen.

I like the way in that Orville trailer MacFarlane admits he plagiarised it all. A straight out the door unashamed up yours to that argument!

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The showrunner will still be the writer of Transformers 2 and the director of Tom Cruise's the Mummy failure.

He has also had many successes. 

Star Trek is better than everything especially the orville

8 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Star Trek is better than everything especially the orville

I'm sorry you feel the need to be so emphatic in your opinion. I will enjoy The Orville even more knowing that you hate it. 

On 7/29/2018 at 8:23 AM, Bryant Burnette said:

I watched the first couple of episodes of The Orville on Hulu.  I didn't get much out of the first one, but I liked the second quite a bit.

First viewing? It generally keeps getting better.

Is it worth a watch today? All I now about it is "Anne Francis stars in" it, and the awkwardly moving robot was used in Mork&Mindy.

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

Is it worth a watch today? All I now about it is "Anne Francis stars in" it, and the awkwardly moving robot was used in Mork&Mindy.

I mean it's very '50s in its trappings, but it contains some good performances, powerful metaphors, compelling pacing and imagery, and a then very unique score that helps create an ambiguous mood and alluring mystery. It's an absolute classic, and capital S capital F Sci-Fi giant, which I dearly miss from modern films.

If you're incapable of watching old movies and only seeing the technical "flaws," it's not worth seeing.  Otherwise, it's a classic that no sci-fi fan should miss.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

First viewing? It generally keeps getting better.

Good to hear.  I watched the fourth episode last night and thought it was great, too.

13 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I mean it's very '50s in its trappings, but it contains some good performances, powerful metaphors, compelling pacing and imagery, and a then very unique score that helps create an ambiguous mood and alluring mystery. It's an absolute classic, and capital S capital F Sci-Fi giant, which I dearly miss from modern films.

Forbidden-stills-1.jpg

Yes, very compelling imagery! :mellow:

You should have known you could rely on Alex to dickishly pick out the shots nobody ever thinks about.

l80LEBL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

iL4qKjB.png

g2vmlxM.jpg

DA2eKFi.jpg

Forbidden Planet is quite striking in places, but not really a very good movie.