THE RETURN OF THE KING: The Complete Recordings - RE-ISSUE coming September 21 2018 (4CDs/1BD or 6LPs)

cmh90790

Well, if you pre-order on Amazon, you ultimately only pay the price they offer it at on release day, so there's really no penalty for pre-ordering now (unless they don't drop the price until after release day )

On 7/27/2018 at 4:06 PM, Jay said:

Well, if you pre-order on Amazon, you ultimately only pay the price they offer it at on release day, so there's really no penalty for pre-ordering now (unless they don't drop the price until after release day )

I complained once or twice about them dropping the price significantly on items shortly after release date (within a day or so) and got refunded the balance!

43 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I complained once or twice about them dropping the price significantly on items shortly after release date (within a day or so) and got refunded the balance!

Good work, Bilbo. Amazon's been slipping lately, if you ask me. I ordered a bunch of piano sheet music books recently, and at least 25% of them were damaged. Complaints are on their way! Until a few years ago I rarely had any troubles with their packaging.

13 hours ago, Bilbo said:

It probably has something to do with the fact that they treat their staff like slave labour. 

True enough.

But from what I’ve read, Apple’s (and FoxConn’s) aren’t much better. And in some ways, worse.

From that POV, your avatar might as well be a Confederate flag!

Both Apple and Amazon deliver excellent products, however (Amazon's product in this case being customer service).

The price? Your soul.

Sent from my iPhone 8.

Just now, Nick1066 said:

True enough.

But from what I’ve read, Apple’s (and FoxConn’s) aren’t much better. And in some ways, worse.

From that POV, your avatar might as well be a Confederate flag!

Both Apple and Amazon deliver excellent products, however (Amazons product in this case  being customer service).

The price? Your soul.

Sent from my iPhone 8.

Apple are great to work for from what I’ve heard (people who actually do work for them). 

The Chinese companies that they (and most smartphone manufacturers use) are borderline inhumane and it is something I would like addressed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 3:52 PM, Jay said:

Well I re-bought FOTR in the new edition, haven't bought TTT yet though 

I've kind of missed this; why did you rebuy them? Is there something different with the original boxes?

Huh?  I didn't buy the vinyl version, I bought the CD + BD version.  I have no interest in vinyl whatsoever

I like buying some vinyl releases, but these are ridiculous.  Not at all the ideal way to enjoy these scores.  For soundtracks I'm usually only interested in albums that were originally released on vinyl, so pre-late-80s soundtracks basically.  I mostly only own pop/rock records though.

Vinyl may not be the most ideal way to listen to these, but they’re stunningly gorgeous sets. I think the vinyl versions are more for collectibility than to actually listen to.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've never understood the point of collecting without listening.

Well listening is certainly part of it (like I said, it just isn’t ideal for a set like this), but the appeal of the large cover art, large booklet, map, and overall set is definitely worth the purchase for some.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

No, all three have been about that price.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Ah so the first one is listed at $300 because it's sold out already?

Oh no! And I know some people here were waiting for the price to drop!

@Jurassic Shark buddy, did you get in on the CR action in time?

11 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I think it's just the vinyl box that's sold out.  Not sure about the CD/BR

The CD+BD version of all three reissues are all still in print and all under $60

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079PTDW74/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D515631/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FW4CN99/ (this will drop around release day)

33 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Nick, ol' chap, I haven't needed to decide yet, as all the CD boxes are still available. Because my CD collection already takes up too much space, I have a policy of not buying stuff I know I'm not going to listen no. I listened to the Fellowship OST a lot when the film came out, so I might get that. The other OSTs never really grabbed me. I checked out at least some of the CRs in their first release, but can't really remember much from them. A good thing about this rerelease is that all three CRs are finally available on Spotify, making them easy to check out whenever you like.

What about you, Nick? Did you get all of them the first time around? Btw, wasn't the price of each CR box considerably lower for the first release, or do I misremember?

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about you, Nick? Did you get all of them the first time around? Btw, wasn't the price of each CR box considerably lower for the first release, or do I misremember?

I pre-ordered all of these from Amazon when they were originally released, and checking my order history, for Fellowship, Towers and Return I paid (USD) 47.96, 60.99 and 59.99 respectively. Whether the price went down after that, I cannot say.  Of course, the price eventually went up, significantly so.

I considered selling all of them for confiscatory prices on eBay, but could not part with them. They're three of the few titles that survived my great CD purge of 2012.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

From my Amazon history, I only got Fellowship from there and I paid £32.99.

That's about the price I thought to remember. Do you remember if this was the initial price at Amazon.co.uk, or did it drop over time?

• 1 month later...