Visit the Tolkien exhibition in Oxford!

Since we mentioned the Tolkien exhibition, which everyone should see, in the other thread...

23 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

This one here at the Bodleian in Oxford.

i went on the second day. It's fantastic.

My first thought was: It's only this one rather small room? But what's *in* that room! It was quite an emotional experience to see the originals of all those maps with coffee stains, newspaper doodles etc. And one thing that became clear to me is that we absolutely need an annotated LOTR, in the vein of Douglas A. Anderson's Annotated Hobbit.

@Jay, if you can still fit it into your London schedule, the exhibition is a must see! Oxford is just roughly one train hour from London. And while you're there, grab a pint at The Eagle and Child:

DSC_7232.JPG

DSC_7233.JPG

DSC_7235_v1.JPG

IMG_20180615_180239.jpg

IMG_20180615_180154.jpg

IMG_20180615_180303.jpg

Of course, Tolkien's grave is there as well, but that was a half hour bike ride from the centre:

DSC_7230_v1.JPG

Although with the house in which LOTR was written along the way:

DSC_7229_v1.JPG

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

@Jay, if you can still fit it into your London schedule, the exhibition is a must see! Oxford is just roughly one train hour from London. And while you're there, grab a pint at The Eagle and Child.

Biggest shock people get when they visit the Bird & Baby is how small it is.  But well worth a visit...the history (and occasional pint) drips from the walls.  You can really sense the spirit of Tolkien and Lewis huddled at a table arguing over dragons.

Second everything Marian has said here. 

Only problem is, with the exhibition and the trip to the cemetery (on a somewhat rickety ofo bike and with unfamiliar left hand traffic)*, I hardly had time to see much else of Oxford. I'll absolutely have to visit it again someday.

*) And with the heavy GBP 40 exhibition catalogue book in my rucksack. Couldn't resist picking that up at the Bodleian store.

Is there supposed to be pictures in the main post?  All I see are giant empty boxes with a circle in the middle with a line in the middle of the circle.

I hope we can make it to this, but I dunno; It's a vacation for the 2 of us, and this would be the third major event tied heavily to my interests and not to hers at all after the 2 film music concerts.  We'll see!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Is there supposed to be pictures in the main post?  All I see are giant empty boxes with a circle in the middle with a line in the middle of the circle.

D'oh. Not easy to get Google Photos links embedded into a post apparently. They showed up fine for me, but I've replaced them with direct uploads now.

I hope we can make it to this, but I dunno; It's a vacation for the 2 of us, and this would be the third major event tied heavily to my interests and not to hers at all after the 2 film music concerts.  We'll see!

Marcy could skip the exhibition and look at some other parts of Oxford instead if she likes? They do Harry Potter tours, too.

I don't think I spent much more than an hour and a half in the exhibition, if that, and I read pretty much everything. Certainly felt longer than that though, you do get your effort and time's worth (and easily your money's, since all it costs is a registration fee of one quid).

5 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

If you can’t make it to the exhibit, you can get the book…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1851244859

It's 40 quid at the Bodleian store, so that should be pretty much the same price. It's a fairly heavy book, so it might be nice not having to carry it around.