New Williams Concert Arrangement: "Adagio from The Force Awakens" premiering August 7th 2018 at Tanglewood [UPDATE: World premiere was March 2018 in Mexico City - video on page 1]

Jay

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's probably just "The Starkiller" or "Torn Apart" slightly modified, but still cool!

My first instinct as well. Hopefully Williams expands upon The Starkiller material and makes it even more of a dramatically tragic adagio.

25 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

So will this be available on demand or is that union thingy still an issue?

There will be no on-demand availability as negotiations will only be resumed on the fall. Also, Tanglewood on Parade concerts haven't been broadcast for the past 4 years.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

How old is that video?? Looks to be the arrangement! 

The description on youtube says "Mexico and the Americas meetings together through music.  4th March 2018. Gustavo Dudamel and Arturo Marquez. Palace of Fine Arts Mexico City."

Caption on the video is “Mexico and the Americas meetings together through music. 4th March 2018. Gustavo Dudamel and Arturo Marquez. Palace of Fine Arts Mexico City.” Let’s see if we can find out anything more.

2 minutes ago, karelm said:

That's cool.  So there is now an Adagio and the pre-existing fugato from The Force Awakens (March of the Resistance).  If this trend continues, Ep. IX soundtrack will be:

1. Overture

2. Passacaglia and fugue

3. Theme and Variations

4. Rondo

5. Scherzo Trio

6. Sonata Allegro

I vote yes!

10 minutes ago, karelm said:

That's cool.  So there is now an Adagio and the pre-existing fugato from The Force Awakens (March of the Resistance).  If this trend continues, Ep. IX soundtrack will be:

1. Overture

2. Passacaglia and fugue

3. Theme and Variations

4. Rondo

5. Scherzo Trio

6. Sonata Allegro

Hey, don't forget, we already have a Scherzo from The Force Awakens!  ;)

This makes The Force Awakens to be the most musically productive Star Wars film outside of the original, yeah? I wonder if Dudamel asked Williams to write this, since he conducted it from the film.

40 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

There will be no on-demand availability as negotiations will only be resumed on the fall. Also, Tanglewood on Parade concerts haven't been broadcast for the past 4 years.

Too bad. So all we can hope for is a recording at some point. Probably some time after Ep IX.

Why is Highwood's Ghost listed under 2017 when it doesn't premiere for another few more weeks yet?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why is Highwood's Ghost listed under 2017 when it doesn't premiere for another few more weeks yet?

Because we began to talk about this new concert piece last year. So it surely have been composed last year, no?

Even if JW revised a little bit since, the info I have is 2017.

That's not correct?

Since the listing is in the following format…

JOHN WILLIAMS - Three selections from Star Wars (Adventures of Han; Adagio from The Force Awakens; The Jedi Step & Finale)

…doesn’t that suggest the piece is named simply “Adagio”?

So, now, do we call the March concert the premiere?

2 hours ago, karelm said:

1. Overture

2. Passacaglia and fugue

3. Theme and Variations

4. Rondo

5. Scherzo Trio

6. Sonata Allegro

Alla marcia and Danza pastorale better be in there.

Very surprising. I never expected JW to return to The Starkiller of all things from TFA. That means we now have the following concert pieces for TFA:

-Rey's Theme

-Jedi Steps and Finale

-March of the Resistance

-Scherzo for X-Wings

-Adagio 

Is that right? That's quite a lot from one score.

33 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Because we began to talk about this new concert piece last year. So it surely have been composed last year, no?

Doesn't matter, its only when it premieres that counts.  This Adagio just premiered at a March 2018 concert.  You think he never thought of the idea for it before Jan 1 2018? If you think he did, then you better move it up to 2017 or earlier on your site!

This is why it is the premiere date that counts.  The adagio premiered in March 2018.  Highwood's Ghost is premiering in August 2018.  End of.  it really does not need to be any more complicated than that.

29 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

So, now, do we call the March concert the premiere?

Yes, unless there was another, earlier one, that we also missed!

22 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Very surprising. I never expected JW to return to The Starkiller of all things from TFA. That means we now have the following concert pieces for TFA:

-Rey's Theme

-Jedi Steps and Finale

-March of the Resistance

-Scherzo for X-Wings

-Adagio 

Is that right? That's quite a lot from one score.

There's also Jedi Steps with a different ending & no end credits.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Doesn't matter, its only when it premieres that counts. 

Ok, you just decided that. Funny.

The work was composed in 2017, then the Premiere was announced publicly, also in 2017.

Ah yes, the longer, kind of twisting version of Jedi Steps. That's an interesting one too. So really, 6 concert arrangements from 1 SW score. Really cool. I wonder if JW has any interest in expanding any music from TLJ. I really enjoy The Rebellion is Reborn but it is disappointing that that is the only concert piece to come out of TLJ.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Ok, you just decided that. Funny.

The work was composed in 2017.

You are the worst!

1 minute ago, artguy360 said:

Ah yes, the longer, kind of twisting version of Jedi Steps. That's an interesting one too. So really, 6 concert arrangements from 1 SW score. Really cool. I wonder if JW has any interest in expanding any music from TLJ. I really enjoy The Rebellion is Reborn but it is disappointing that that is the only concert piece to come out of TLJ.

Agreed! C'mon, Williams, how many times have you written action stuff that could be tweaked for a concert in the last decade!? I wanna hear Fathiers, Escape, and Battle of Crait!

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

A Holdo Desperation Suite?

This would be amazing! There is roughly 2 minutes of the motif already in the score so he's have to expand on that but it would be great to get a thematic, action driven concert piece.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

You are the worst!

And what do you do with the Concerto for Flute and Orchestra. It has been written in 1969 and remained unperformed till 1981.

Why don't you agree that what you are saying has no sense?

This is a bit silly, but at the same time I am being serious: I would love to hear an edited together extended cue of all the new action/militaristic music from TLJ. There is Holdo's Desperation music plus several reoccurring action motifs plus some cool flourishes JW uses throughout TLJ but they are generally not highlighted on the OST. I feel like there is almost an alternative presentation of the score that could be built around this material.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

What YOU'RE saying makes no sense.  By your logic The Empire Strikes Back is a 1979 scores, and Tintin is a 2009 score.

You never responded to this part of my earlier post, naturally:

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

This Adagio just premiered at a March 2018 concert.  You think he never thought of the idea for it before Jan 1 2018?  If you think he did, then you better move it up to 2017 or earlier on your site!

That's not the same, for a movie, we all know a score is written and recorded before the movie comes out. It's logical.

But a Premiere don't always follow the writting of a Concert Work. The Concerto for Flute is a good example.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

That's not the same, for a movie, we all know a score is written and recorded before the movie comes out.

And for both Adagio from The Force Awakens and Highwood's Ghost, the score was written before the piece came out.  Why should it be any different?

Answer: It shouldn't.

It'd be like calling Esplanade Overture a 1982 piece instead of 1983 because of that Boston Globe article.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

And what do you do with the Concerto for Flute and Orchestra. It has been written in 1969 and remained unperformed till 1981.

FYI, Williams finished writing Highwood’s Ghost last June.

Just stop being an ass as usual.

Well, it would be nice if a complete discography adhered to the same standards everyone else does when discussing film music, instead of trying to force strange ideologies and make it like a pop musician's discography should look like.  Maybe one day logic will triumph over personal preference!

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

How about Dash Across No Man's Land concert version?

The Pursuit of the Falcon concert version?

I'm disappointed he didn't do those. I was happy when he made a concert version of The Unicorn (Sea Battle), but no one's played it in years. :(

28 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

This would be amazing! There is roughly 2 minutes of the motif already in the score so he's have to expand on that but it would be great to get a thematic, action driven concert piece.

Hell yeah.