Thomas Bergersen - American Dream

PrayodiBA

To all jacked-up John Williams and John Powell fan, Bergersen has just released his new album:

I should bring this into the light of JWFan,

as it is unsurprisingly, americana, and surprisingly, more restrained and calmer than Bergeresen's previous efforts. ( until the choir kicks in, that is)

And surprisingly again, as not per his usual, the orchestra here does sound more natural ( and Bergersen, most of the time, always used real orchestra! crazy right?)

First half sounds like over-condensed War Horse, and scattered throughout are bits directly quoting Williams's style ( and Powell's too)

more than that, Bergersen perhaps is trying to imitate Gavin Greenaway's iconic Disneyworld music:

----------------------

Anyway, what do you all think?

• 2 weeks later...

I love it, and independently noted all of the similar works you mention. My big problem is the sound quality which is very poor on all digital platforms. Someone really screwed up.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, see: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=129861&forumID=1&archive=0

Specifically a quote from Bergersen via FB:

"There will be a high quality lossless version later this year."

What a monumental screw-up.

I don't get why he's not more keen to fix the problem and get a properly mastered version out there *now*. It's the only reason I haven't purchased it yet.

Bergersen continues to be, in my eyes, one of the most underrated composers working today, having consistently showcased an innate ability to channel different musical genres and styles while making them his own. He only seems to be getting better, with this most recent work being a real testament to the guy's talent and ability. It hurts to see far inferior composers garnering attention on meager outputs while his efforts go largely unrecognized. But perhaps that's how he likes it. Regardless, I hope he sees some more attention coming his way in the years to come.