SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

7 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Anyone else checking this thread every five hours only to be disappointed that no one has received their copy yet?

It was already posted that they don't begin shipping until the 13th, so no, I doubt anybody else is expecting to read a shipping announcement before then.

On 06/09/2018 at 6:50 PM, JohnnyD said:

“SHIPPING UPDATE: E.T. 2XLP and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN are unexpectedly delayed a bit by the manufacturer. We will start shipping immediately upon their arrival, which we anticipate being 9/13 (if not before). We apologize for the additional wait and thank you immensely for your patience.”

What if the 1 decided to go through a gender reassignment surgery to become a 0, and vice-versa? So 0s and 1s aren't necessary 0s and 1s anymore. We don't know what's going on under those millions of microscopic pits on a CD, how those 0s and 1s are feeling about themselves. Who are we to impose that 0 has to be 0, 1 has to be 1? We have to keep our minds open and let them be happy.

The MIDIchlorians swimming up the wire from the CD to the PC might change their minds on how they want to form the music. Some could hit their heads when jumping from the plug to the socket and get behind.

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Anyone else checking this thread every five hours only to be disappointed that no one has received their copy yet?

I'm still astonished at the amount of attention this release is getting.

Just because it's been released by our favourite label and produced by MM, doesn't mean it's suddenly a great score.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Just because it's been released by our favourite label and produced by MM, doesn't mean it's suddenly a great score.

But it has 2 bonus tracks!

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread.

Your right... It already was a great score!

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Since when is LLL our favorite label? Intrada is... oh wait, they fucked up The Mummy... okay, it IS our favorite label.

The problem is that we were promised this year was gonna be "one for the books". So far, except for Schindler's List, which is only due in november or december, nothing much happened. A year ago tomorrow, on September 12th, E.T. was up for sale already, and I think word was out that CE3K was coming soon as well, or it was announced already. SPR is a great score, but not enough to be released in the last quarter of the "book year". It's kind of disappointing.

4 hours ago, phbart said:

The problem is that we were promised this year was gonna be "one for the books". So far, except for Schindler's List, which is only due in november or december, nothing much happened. A year ago tomorrow, on September 12th, E.T. was up for sale already, and I think word was out that CE3K was coming soon as well, or it was announced already. SPR is a great score, but not enough to be released in the last quarter of the "book year". It's kind of disappointing.

I hope you will be able to continue live despite this crushing disappointment!

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Well it is to me Rich! It is to me!

And on a site dedicated to John Williams, aren't we allowed to be excited for each and every John Williams release?

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Since when is LLL our favorite label? Intrada is... oh wait, they fucked up The Mummy... okay, it IS our favorite label.

But LLL fucked up Hook. I say Varèse is our favourite label. Oh wait, they have insane shipping costs for Europeans… I give up.

10 hours ago, phbart said:

I think the real takeaway from this is that there are more Williams releases in the works. Sure, I too thought we'd have more to celebrate by now. There is some disappointment, but I'm not in anyway annoyed at the label for their annoucement which at least up until today hasn't exactly lived up to its promise. There are still a few months left though, and I won't complain if some of the releases expected this year are released next year. The sooner the better though^ I'm sure it's been said by others, but these projects can get delayed and put in hybernation at the last minute waiting for some legal matter to be resolved and/or for someone in authority with a busy schedule to say "yes".

Well for me 2018, is not totally yet a "little" year!

• The 6 Star Wars Remasterings
  • The John Williams Conductor Boxset
  • The new Solo theme by JW
  • Superman IV reissue
  • The Cowboys Expansion
  • Saving Private Ryan Anniversay Reissue
  • The coming Schindler's List Expansion

And for those who also collects LPs... Tintin, Expanded E.T., The Last Jedi, The Post...

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Well it is to me Rich! It is to me!

And on a site dedicated to John Williams, aren't we allowed to be excited for each and every John Williams release?

Usually yes :)

But this is an unusual and really not essential expansion.

2 hours ago, pete said:

...but these projects can get delayed and put in hybernation at the last minute waiting for some legal matter to be resolved and/or for someone in authority with a busy schedule to say "yes".

You're absolutely right. And the labels know that much better than us. That's why making such a statement so early in the year (feb 8th, Maestro's b-day) lead us to believe that whatever they were preparing was etched in stone already. Since MV is no newbie in the business, the expectations were high. Maybe he got ahead of himself too much on this. Anyway, let's hope the next three announcements will live up to his promise.

39 minutes ago, Bespin said:

• The Cowboys Expansion

And for those who also collects LPs... Tintin, Expanded E.T., The Last Jedi, The Post...

Those are great releases, indeed. But only two are from LLL.

It's worth noting Schindler's List was based on the book Schindler's Ark, while both SS/JW LLL releases last year were films with original screenplays.

So there's your year for the books! See you in 2019!

7 hours ago, pete said:

I think the real takeaway from this is that there are more Williams releases in the works. Sure, I too thought we'd have more to celebrate by now. There is some disappointment, but I'm not in anyway annoyed at the label for their annoucement which at least up until today hasn't exactly lived up to its promise. There are still a few months left though, and I won't complain if some of the releases expected this year are released next year. The sooner the better though^ I'm sure it's been said by others, but these projects can get delayed and put in hybernation at the last minute waiting for some legal matter to be resolved and/or for someone in authority with a busy schedule to say "yes".

Right on point. There is still a few months left; more expansions are on the way, be it this year or next year.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

• Superman IV reissue
  • The Cowboys Expansion

These ones count as a negative point and these don't add anything either - so what is left? Cowboys and Schindler!

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You don't care about the solo theme?

It not "Solo's theme", it's "this guy's who is apparently supposed to represent Han Solo theme". And it fits to the character, that's its problem.

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

But LLL fucked up Hook. I say Varèse is our favourite label. Oh wait, they have insane shipping costs for Europeans… I give up.

LLL had no chance not to fuck it up - Williams' meddling and missing sources!

Intrada fucked up, although they had all the elements in perfect condition. If Goldsmith had still been alive, he would probably have prevented that occasionally weird mix and the terrible film edits idea.

And Varese - well, they fucked up too much in the past. But right now they reach for the stars!

On a "discographic" way, 2018 kept me very busy so far.

Can I rest a little bit now???

Wait... there will be another Star Wars next year... 

:sarcasm:

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

It not "Solo's theme", it's "this guy's who is apparently supposed to represent Han Solo theme". And it fits to the character, that's its problem.

LLL had no chance not to fuck it up - Williams' meddling and missing sources!

Intrada fucked up, although they had all the elements in perfect condition. If Goldsmith had still been alive, he would probably have prevented that occasionally weird mix and the terrible film edits idea.

And Varese - well, they fucked up too much in the past. But right now they reach for the stars!

LLL could also have refused to do Hook after realising that some tapes just couldn't be found. Same with Home Aloone 2010, look at the awesome album MM gave us when they did find the elements.

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

• Superman IV reissue
  • The Cowboys Expansion

the Star Wars re-masters is the biggest dump ever taken on JWfans

When they do eventually come out, Disney is gonna have a hell of a time explaining to Joe Public what the hell they are, in the sea of reissues, remasterings, SEs, album presentations and the UE. It's a mess.

The last reissues don't help because the average consumer doesn't know or care about what rights were reverted back to whom. It's just.... yet another release.

I should also clarify that my general apathy towards the SPR release has nothing to do with the 'for the books' comment or any disappointment of that kind. I just find it amusing that for a score a that a lot of people have said they found dull, the moment a MM 'expansion' is announced, suddenly the completists emerge. It's nice that it's happening; I just don't think it's worth the hype. (a bit like Up being release on CD.... a total non-event)

On 9/13/2018 at 7:30 AM, Richard Penna said:

I should also clarify that my general apathy towards the SPR release has nothing to do with the 'for the books' comment or any disappointment of that kind. I just find it amusing that for a score a that a lot of people have said they found dull, the moment a MM 'expansion' is announced, suddenly the completists emerge. It's nice that it's happening; I just don't think it's worth the hype. (a bit like Up being release on CD.... a total non-event)

I don't view things the same way you do at all.  Since the score was released 20 years ago, there have been plenty of people who love the score, and plenty of people who don't.  The people who love the score are excited for the expansion.  The ones who don't are just polite enough to not threadcrap negative comments about the score in the thread, they are happy for the people who do like the score.  Simple as that.