SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

On 9/14/2018 at 11:31 AM, bollemanneke said:

I respectfully wonder why such things happen with this kind of releases. 

I'm sure the respectfulness of your wonderment means a great deal to all concerned. ;)

Disrespectfully wondering would surely result in more delays!

10 minutes ago, phbart said:

Nice to know that. I still miss the a good old track-by-track analysis, with slates, dates, what portions were used or dropped, etc.

Agreed!

10 minutes ago, phbart said:

Kind of reminds me of Intrada's 2007 "Alien", one the best booklets ever written.

I think every MM release features outstanding liner notes! A.I., Jurassic Park, Hook, etc.

11 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I think every MM release features outstanding liner notes! A.I., Jurassic Park, Hook, etc.

Indeed. But I think Alien gave us such a detailed explanation about the mess Ridley Scott and his editor made with Goldsmith's music, why they did it, and so on, stuff like that. A terrific insight not only into the music but what was made with it. Also the track analysis is one of the best ever written too. In sum, it's not a big booklet, but it has such a wealth of information and is such an interesting reading that it looks like a really long booklet, when it actually isn't.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Right up there with the Superman blue box.

Yes! Forgot to mention it. The different versions of the Superman's Theme is so well explained there, among many other things. It's a much longer reading than Alien, but still a very interesting one.

Well, "battered" might be too strong of a word. Front part will fall apart if you open the case (it's broken), there are some marks on the back cover (as if someone put something heavy on it) and 5 broken teeth. Pictures wouldn't really show it very well I think so I won't bother putting them up.

I'm not complaining, by the way. These things sometimes do happen.

Karol

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I'm still very partial to the liner notes of the Star Wars 1997 SE's RCA Victor did.

I was just given those as a gift over the weekend. I really enjoyed the opening notes, but I'm not a fan of cue by cue "analysis".

Quick question that's been answered hundreds of times definitively, I'm sure, over the last 14 years: is there any sound quality difference between the 1997 RCA and 2004 Sony release?

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

is there any sound quality difference between the 1997 RCA and 2004 Sony release?

No

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I thought I remembered reading years ago that Sony did some digital mastering thing that made the albums sound worse.

They technically applied "DSD mastering" to their reissue of the original 1997 sets, but its all bullshit.  The original elements weren't re-transferred to do any kind of actual proper remastering until the Shawn Murphy OST rebuilds from earlier this year.

On 9/19/2018 at 4:01 PM, Jay said:

Intrada's Alien has my favorite liner notes of all time, too.  Right up there with the Superman blue box.

The whole set is the best release of any special label ever! There is nothing to complain about. I mean, you can try it.

So is the C&C presentation of this score simply:

2 Revisiting Normandy 4:06
3 Omaha Beach 9:15
4 Finding Private Ryan 4:37
5 Approaching the Enemy 4:31
6 Defense Preparations 5:54
7 Wade’s Death 4:30
11 High School Teacher (Film Version) 4:31
12 The Last Battle (Film Version) 8:02
10 Hymn to the Fallen (Reprise) 6:10

On 21/09/2018 at 5:08 AM, crumbs said:

So is the C&C presentation of this score simply:

2 Revisiting Normandy 4:06
3 Omaha Beach 9:15
4 Finding Private Ryan 4:37
5 Approaching the Enemy 4:31
6 Defense Preparations 5:54
7 Wade’s Death 4:30
11 High School Teacher (Film Version) 4:31
12 The Last Battle (Film Version) 8:02
10 Hymn to the Fallen (Reprise) 6:10

Here's the chronological playlist:

Revisiting Normandy 4:06
Omaha Beach 9:15

Approaching the Enemy 4:31
Finding Private Ryan 4:37
Wade’s Death 4:30

High School Teacher (Film Version) 4:31

Defense Preparations 5:54
The Last Battle (Film Version) 8:02
Hymn to the Fallen 6:10

On 8/28/2018 at 10:17 AM, Jay said:

To clear up any confusion:

The album track titled "Hymm to the Fallen (Reprise)" is bit for bit completely identical to "Hymm to the Fallen"

The album track titled "The Last Battle" is the original version of the cue as Williams originally intended it to be heard.  If you watch this video, you see Spielberg asking him to make a change for the section where it transitions from '44 back to modern day; The Insert was recorded and edited into the final film, and the new LLL track titled "The Last Battle (Film Version)" is the cue with that Insert properly edited in for the first time.

The album track titled "High School Teacher" only ever presented a portion of the actual "High School Teacher" cue; Williams decided to replace 3 bars (about 10 seconds) of the middle of the cue with about 7 minutes of material repeated from Omaha Beach for album listening experience purposes.  In other words, the track contents are:

• 0:00-2:39 = the first 44 bars of "High School Teacher"
  • 2:39-9:30 = a repeat of most of "Omaha Beach"
  • 9:30-end = bars 48-end of "High School Teacher"

The new LLL track "High School Teacher (Film Version)" is simply the full original cue as Williams recorded it with no edits.

Therefore, to listen to the complete score in chronological order, all you need to do is this:

01 02 Revisiting Normandy (4:06)
02 03 Omaha Beach (9:15)
03 05 Approaching the Enemy (4:31)
04 04 Finding Private Ryan (4:37)
05 07 Wade's Death (4:30)
06 11 High School Teacher (Film Version) (4:31)
07 06 Defense Preparations (5:54)
08 12 The Last Battle (Film Version) (8:02)
09 01 Hymn To The Fallen (6:10)

Bonus track:
10 09 The Last Battle (7:57) [original version]

OST tracks 8 and 10 can be completely dropped from your playlist as they contain nothing but material already present in other tracks.

And, instead of including both versions of The Last Battle in your personal playlist, you can compare the string section in both and go with whichever one you prefer; The first version Williams originally recorded (track 9) or the revised version that Spielberg requested (track 12).

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I mean, come on, did you take offense? Seriously?

What offense? 

You said it caused so much confusion. So who's confused? Certainly not me.

We're dealing here with 2 minutes of extra music, and not with an Indiana Jones or Star Wars score! 😂 

On 8/28/2018 at 11:17 PM, Jay said:

And, instead of including both versions of The Last Battle in your personal playlist, you can compare the string section in both and go with whichever one you prefer; The first version Williams originally recorded (track 9) or the revised version that Spielberg requested (track 12).

I'll certainly include both versions on my playlist and keep listening to both, but I gotta admit, I prefer the revised version. Somehow it makes more sense, musically. It's smoother, more touching.

Although Spielberg is not always right, he was right on this one!

Well, when people see 'Remastered' or 20th Anniversary' and that there's some bonus tracks, anyone not familiar with the assembly of the previous set, where the new music fits in, or what the hell is going on has every right to be confused.

It doesn't matter though because we have some fine members here who have made this all very clear.

So I compared the original OST with this new release and I've come to the conclusion that this new release is a perfect copy paste of the 16-bit/44.1 kHz audio used for the OST (so we know the digital source it comes from isn't in a higher definition).

MM talked about refining the gaps between tracks but I see no changes between the OST and the release (except for a very small silence of 0,01 seconds that is not on the OST).

Not that it would matter at all - but MM said he’d made slight EQ changes. These might not show up in a comparison.

Nor would they make any real difference when listening to the LLL cues, that are already on the OST.

I hope people who bought this, bought it for the 20 seconds of unreleased string sections music, and nothing else, or whatever those two minutes of bonus tracks amounted to.

6 hours ago, Chewy said:

So I compared the original OST with this new release and I've come to the conclusion that this new release is a perfect copy paste of the 16-bit/44.1 kHz audio used for the OST (so we know the digital source it comes from isn't in a higher definition).

MM talked about refining the gaps between tracks but I see no changes between the OST and the release (except for a very small silence of 0,01 seconds that is not on the OST).

Wait. Didn't some members here who already got this set report, though, that the sound quality is noticeably better? 

Too lazy to go back and look through all the pages now....

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

Not that it would matter at all - but MM said he’d made slight EQ changes. These might not show up in a comparison.

I compared the tracks digitally and they are 100%, bit-perfect copies of the OST tracks. No EQ changes or anything was applied to the tracks. In other words, the quality cannot be any better than the OST.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I compared the tracks digitally and they are 100%, bit-perfect copies of the OST tracks. No EQ changes or anything was applied to the tracks. In other words, the quality cannot be any better than the OST.

So basically you're calling MM a liar?