SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So basically you're calling MM a liar?

No MM isn't a liar, this is what he wrote:

UME provided me with Pat Sullivan's delivered digital master, which she and I then reviewed together. We cleaned up a few little things, finessed track starts and endings, etc., but in the end, while this IS, in the strictest sense, a remastering, it did not feel right to shout that from the rooftops because the mixes, EQ and levels were not altered in any significant way. For the additional tracks, Patricia actually recalled her notes from 1998 that detailed exactly how to EQ and process the audio. I followed that in creating the added tracks so that everything would be uniform.

52 minutes ago, Chewy said:

the mixes, EQ and levels were not altered in any significant way. 

So they were altered, according to MM.

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

What humility Mr Matessino.

I think I will cry.

🙄

Perhaps you can learn something from that.

:P

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So they were altered, according to MM.

Altered? Is this the new norm? What's next? 

The Star Wars OSTs Altered and Rendered Rerelease?

It's like saying, "I didn't hurt the guy in any significant way." And everybody will know the guy was actually hurt. 😂 

So MM did alter the mixes and EQ! Straight from the horse's mouth.

I am tired of remastered reissues. I want remixed reissues.

For anyone curious about the difference, I urge you to compare the remastered version of The Beatles’ “Sgt Pepper“ released in 2009 with the remixed reissue released in 2017.

I’d take the remixed version any day! Hell, I’d prefer anything recorded before the 90’s to be rereleased in remixed form if it makes it sound more modern.

Bring on the Star Wars OT Remixed Box Set!

26 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Bring on the Star Wars OT Remixed Box Set!

Shush! Do not speak of such things! This is the internet! We don't know if Disney might be watching and decide to go forth with such madness!

Murphy has done a mostly excellent job recording Williams' scores since A.I. (which is sadly muddy and flat).

And we're not sure who is responsible for the hiss in AOTC. That could be a mixing or mastering issue (but its presence in both the digital and analogue masters would indicate it was in the recording, IMO). 

I haven't read any of the 14 previous pages in this thread (nor any previous SPR thread), so sorry if this has been brought up before, but does anyone else get an SPR vibe from Ralph Vaughan Williams' 49th PARALLEL?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

And we're not sure who is responsible for the hiss in AOTC. That could be a mixing or mastering issue (but its presence in both the digital and analogue masters would indicate it was in the recording, IMO). 

Is that your only issue with the Disney demasters?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I haven't read any of the 14 previous pages in this thread (nor any previous SPR thread), so sorry if this has been brought up before, but does anyone else get an SPR vibe from Ralph Vaughan Williams' 49th PARALLEL?

There is a parallel...

53 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is that your only issue with the Disney demasters?

No, that's just a general issue with AOTC. The recording itself appears to be hissy regardless of source. The Disney release, if anything, just faithfully presents it. 😄

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

The LLL Close Encounters was a 100% remix

Yeah ok, fair enough, but how many know that? And how many knows the difference between remastered and remixed? How many think that a remix is an abomination by default (just as many might think that a remaster would automatically yield a “better” result than the original - both assumptions are of course misleading).

I think the term remixed is still very linked to club remixes, which doesn’t have to be the case, nor is it what I meant by my comment. I meant remixed from the original elements - as CE3K, for example.

I brought Sgt Pepper up because the difference really blew me away and I think it might be an eye opener for people curious about the difference.

But for those who want club remixes, this is what you’re looking for: Headspace, released in 2016!

No, but seriously. lol up Sgt Pepper. It’s cool.

11 minutes ago, rough cut said:

No, but seriously. lol up Sgt Pepper. It’s cool.

It indeed sounds better, but as is the case with many remixes of classic rock/pop recordings there's too much emphasis on the bass registery.

12 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I brought Sgt Pepper up because the difference really blew me away and I think it might be an eye opener for people curious about the difference.

The main thing about Sgt. Pepper is that originally it had two mixes: mono and stereo. The mono had all the effort put into it, 6 weeks if I remember, the stereo was done in less than a week, I guess it was still just a novelty.

The 2009 took the stereo because it was stereo, it must be better, and remastered it.

The 2018 went back to the original 4-track sessions and took the lead from the mono mix (with which every Beatle was involved), but created a new stereo mix for modernity, and it's awesome. 1 is the same way - no hard stereo separation, so finally listenable with headphones.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

The main thing about Sgt. Pepper is that originally it had two mixes: mono and stereo. The mono had all the effort put into it, 6 weeks if I remember, the stereo was done in less than a week, I guess it was still just a novelty.

In 1967, stereo sure was no 'novelty'. If anything, those were the waning days of mono.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It would surely take months to reach Finland, and when it's finally there, the jewel case is most certainly broken... :(

Thanks for that bit of comfort JS.

Usually LLL packages arrive in about a week. As I said before 3 days has been the past record for the fastest delivery, so it doesn't usually take ages. But yes jewel cases do arrive cracked from time to time even though they do use quite sturdy packaging to protect them.

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Thanks for that bit of comfort JS.

Usually LLL packages arrive in about a week. As I said before 3 days has been the past record for the fastest delivery, so it doesn't usually take ages. But yes jewel cases do arrive cracked from time to time even though they do use quite sturdy packaging to protect them.

Just trying to cheer you up. :)

Seriously though, have you ordered from the European Amazons? I frequently do (although they're imperialist pigs), and I've done for a long time, but in recent years the quality of their packaging has really decreased. Now, close to 50% of the CDs and sheet music I order are damaged. I've complained a lot, but only in a few cases have they improved the packaging...

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Still no sign of the CD nor even shipping confirmation. :( 

And nobody has posted a pic of the set yet! 

I'm starting to doubt the very existence of this 20th Anniversary Edition of SPR! I think this might be an elaborate hoax. :P

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No tablecloth? 1 star!

Karol

Karol, I might have known! The white background of the table is to bring out the magnificence of the sombre cover you Philistine!

SPR.jpg

LLL loves me so much they sent me two separate shipments of SPR and Sup IV 🤣

Has this ever happened to anyone on here?  I've reached out to them to inquire about how to send them back, thankfully I wasn't double-billed for them.  :)