SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

So I got mine in the mail recently. And yesterday I went out and saw this in a store.

I bought all three of them, of course. So now I own 4 copies.... I'm thinking of giving them away to some friends for Christmas or their birthdays (making them JW fans) or using them as coasters. 😂 

DSC_7273.JPG

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Josh's friend: Who does he keep giving me music by that old professor? I'd rather like the last Zimmer album.

In my entire life, I've bought only one CD with the name Hans Zimmer on it: The Lion King. That's it! 😄 

41 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Josh's friend: Who does he keep giving me music by that old professor? I'd rather like the last Zimmer album.

These CDs make rather nice birthday gifts. Many actually do like the music, even if they're not fans. Yet.

23 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

In my entire life, I've bought only one CD with the name Hans Zimmer on it: The Lion King. That's it! 😄 

I've only bought Crimson Tide, and I also sold it.

24 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

These CDs make rather nice birthday gifts. Many actually do like the music, even if they're not fans. Yet

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So I got mine in the mail recently. And yesterday I went out and saw this in a store.

Great! Make sure to let me know about the sound quality of this (if you find any EQ alteration :D)

28 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Great! Make sure to let me know about the sound quality of this (if you find any EQ alteration :D)

Look at the other SPR thread. I already wrote about my first impression....

4 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I bought all three of them, of course. So now I own 4 copies.... I'm thinking of giving them away to some friends (making them JW fans) or using them as coasters. 😂 

DSC_7273.JPG

What did you have to pay for these babies in a physical store, and which store was it?

10 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Finally got this today! 

Am I the last one? Anybody who ordered it hasn't received their set yet?

I also received it a few days ago, together with the other stuff that I had ordered from LLL (that I was actually more excited about). Perfect packaging and perfect conditions!

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What did you have to pay for these babies in a physical store, and which store was it?

Paid around 26 Euros per CD. A special bargain! But I know the owner of the store, he's a friend of mine. 

6 hours ago, Score said:

I also received it a few days ago, together with the other stuff that I had ordered from LLL (that I was actually more excited about). 

Your first impressions on sound quality? :)

8 hours ago, MikePetersen said:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but has anyone else noticed that the strings have been dialed way down on Hymn for the Fallen? 

That's completely impossible, since they used the OST master and didn't remix it.

If you are talking about compared to the end credits of the film itself, I believe the film version opens with a different take than the OST version

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's completely impossible, since they used the OST master and didn't remix it.

If you are talking about compared to the end credits of the film itself, I believe the film version opens with a different take than the OST version

Take a listen. Compare the OST to this new one. Maybe I'm imagining things ... confirm it for me. ;)

5 hours ago, Jay said:

OMG. We don't have the film take of Hymn to the Fallen?!! The horror! The horror! :o

So perhaps with the 30th anniversary edition they will get it right in the end. ;) 

It's funny (funny and scary!) how people will blindly believe stuff that they are told, rather than trust their own senses.

I can hear the difference, albeit a very slight one. Hell, I could even hear the difference in the samples, and listening to the actual CD only confirmed it for me. And that's not imagination. Now, what was exactly done on this new release is anybody's guess, but they did something, all right.

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

So perhaps with the 30th anniversary edition they will get it right in the end. ;) 

You're an optimist!

My money is on the 40th or 50th Anniversary Edition! :D

On 01/10/2018 at 1:21 PM, Josh500 said:

It's funny (funny and scary!) how people will blindly believe stuff that they are told, rather than trust their own senses.

I can hear the difference, albeit a very slight one. Hell, I could even hear the difference in the samples, and listening to the actual CD only confirmed it for me. And that's not imagination. Now, what was exactly done on this new release is anybody's guess, but they did something, all right.

There is no difference, can you at least compare the tracks yourself so you'll finally know that it is you, your imagination. Nothing was remastered, the contents of the OST were literally, COPY PASTED for this LLL release, there can't be ANY difference, not even a slight one or anything, ZERO DIFFERENCE, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I'm gonna post the comparison for every track and I hope you'll finally believe me, that's incredible...

• 3 weeks later...

So anybody that ordered received their copy already? 

Or is somebody still waiting? 😂

I wonder how many copies are still left. Probably around 3,500. Ha.

On 10/2/2018 at 1:22 PM, MrJosh said:

I know it's not remastered or anything, but I think just the fact that buying this made me sit down and really listen to it, I enjoyed and appreciated it in a new way. In the past, I only have listened to the score in passing or while doing other things. 

I really love the horn and trumpet solos. I didn't know the trumpet players were up on the balcony when recording, so that was cool to learn from the liner notes. Oh, and I do like having that missing bit of High School Teacher :)

Agreed on both fronts (as well as being in the controversial "it sounds better" camp). I'd always noticed the stereo effect of the trumpets and made a vague connection to John Adams's Tromba Lontana - which also places two solo trumpets on opposing balconies - but good to know.

• 4 weeks later...

What interests me is how you arranged the program of your LLL edition. Did you just rip the whole damn CD and listen to the OST, followed by the bonus tracks or did you arrange a C&C program (which is by the way much shorter than the OST)?

I think I'll do the latter in order to make the presentation less redundant and to save the highlight until the end.

I don't know, I don't have the reissue, and have no intention to. I'm satisfied with my old 98 release. The review was written by Nils, one of our writers.

58 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

If you would buy THAT release of all expansion, @Thor, it would be the end of all logic.:P In this case, I addressed the whole forum community.

Ah, gotcha.

Chronological order is the way to go for this score, no doubt.  Opening the presentation with the Hymm isn't nearly as effective as opening with Revisiting Normandy, and only hearing the Hymm at the end.

On 28/08/2018 at 10:17 AM, Jay said:

01 02 Revisiting Normandy (4:06)
02 03 Omaha Beach (9:15)
03 05 Approaching the Enemy (4:31)
04 04 Finding Private Ryan (4:37)
05 07 Wade's Death (4:30)
06 11 High School Teacher (Film Version) (4:31)
07 06 Defense Preparations (5:54)
08 12 The Last Battle (Film Version) (8:02)
09 01 Hymn To The Fallen (6:10)

On 8/28/2018 at 10:17 AM, Jay said:

The album track titled "Hymm to the Fallen (Reprise)" is bit for bit completely identical to "Hymm to the Fallen"