SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

I make an edit of the first half of Hymn to the Fallen, overlapped with the last half of Hymn to the Fallen (Reprise) for the ultimate version of the piece. 

• 4 months later...

I'am more interested in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and SCHINDLER'S LIST. But I think CLOSE ENCOUNTERS Vinyl may not happen because of the new Sony deal.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chewy said:

They also need to release a LP boxset of the Harry Potter Collection, something like 14 LPs, for 300$ plus 100$ shipping.

I'm only buying the OSTs on vinyl. In the near future.

What I really want is LLL's CLOSE ENCOUNTERS on vinyl. It was going to happen but not anymore since MV announced in the FSM threads. SCHINDLER'S LIST will happen though (I think)

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Is the vinyl chronological with filmversions in the main program...?

Nope. Although they relegated the Hymn to the Fallen (Reprise) after the two film version tracks at the end.

TRACK LISTING:

SIDE A
1 Hymn to the Fallen 6:10
2 Revisiting Normandy 4:06
3 Omaha Beach 9:15

SIDE B
4 Finding Private Ryan 4:37
5 Approaching the Enemy 4:31
6 Defense Preparations 5:54
7 Wade’s Death 4:30

SIDE C
8 High School Teacher 11:03
9 The Last Battle 7:57

SIDE D
10 High School Teacher (Film Version) 4:31
11 The Last Battle (Film Version) 8:02
12 Hymn To The Fallen (Reprise) 6:10
Total Album Time: 77:03

• 1 year later...

This is a blog by the former bass trombonist of the Boston Symphony/Pops. He has posted previously on the recording session for SPR (he also preformed the premier of the Bass Trombone version of the Tuba concerto with JW & the Boston Pops). He posted this earlier in the week:

Memorial Day, Saving Private Ryan, Abraham Lincoln, and the trombone
https://thelasttrombone.com/2020/05/26/memorial-day-saving-private-ryan-abraham-lincoln-and-the-trombone/

• 1 year later...

Sale price starts on 7/13 at 12 noon pst and is good thru 7/31
Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

JOHN WILLIAMS “SAVING PRIVATE RYAN” SPECIAL!

We’re celebrating our ALWAYS and A.I. 20th ANNIVERSARY RE-ISSUE releases with a great price on the Maestro’s masterful SAVING PRIVATE RYAN: 20th ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION CD!

Get SAVING PRIVATE RYAN: 20th ANNIV. LIMITED EDITION CD for ONLY $15 EACH!

https://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2f4ijr--vfr61-ag4f6q6

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Sorry, the clearout has finished: SPR, Superman, Apollo 13, The Stepford Wives and HP7.1 limited edition are out of my hands. Now every CD I own is equally important to me.

Superman? The LLL boxset? No way!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So after these last years, did the sound improved even by a small margin in the La La Land release compared to the original 1998 pressing? 

What has been your experiences with the release?

• 3 months later...

I've been looking at reviews of SPR recently, with a particular eye toward the music, of course; and I came across something rather odd in Peter Bradshaw's review in The Guardian

"With this movie, re-released 21 years on, Steven Spielberg created one of his greatest films, an old-fashioned war picture to rule them all – gripping, utterly uncynical, with viscerally convincing and audacious battle sequences. It was a staggeringly effective action film with a potent orchestral score by John Williams, candidly inspired by Elgar’s Nimrod. And it was based on a redemptive, quietist premise: the point of the mission is not to engage the enemy but to rescue an American soldier and spirit him away out of danger. Yet when the time of great trial comes, of course, no one is ducking the fight."

Has anyone caught references to Elgar? Is this  something obvious I've been missing? Seems like an odd connection to make between the English composer and American subject matter.

Do you suppose he means in some of the long line melodies and strings like in the main Ryan theme [from the opening of "Omaha Beach"]?

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this?

(Might be of interest @Falstaft, given your recent research into the Imperial March and Walton/Elgar etc.)

17 minutes ago, ConorPower said:

"It was a staggeringly effective action film with a potent orchestral score by John Williams, candidly inspired by Elgar’s Nimrod..."

Never heard this before, and don't know of any instances of Williams noting an inspiration for SPR from Elgar, candidly or otherwise, in interviews or elsewhere. Nor do I think any cue in the score particularly sounds like Nimrod...

Now Horner's Courage Under Fire, on the other hand!...

30 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Nor do I think any cue in the score particularly sounds like Nimrod...

Ok! Glad I'm not going crazy then. Definitely struck me as odd.

Definitely more blatant in the Horner! Thank you!

"

JOHN WILLIAMS SPECIAL!

Our celebration of the maestro’s 90 years and our new JURASSIC PARK re-issue continues with great prices on some of his brilliant titles! Get SCHINDLER’S LIST and FAR & AWAY 2-CD sets at an amazing price of ONLY $25 EACH
and his SAVING PRIVATE RYAN for ONLY $10 EACH!!!!

"

https://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2jw9l1--zw34g-ag4f6q6

• 4 months later...

I got this release in a recent sale and listened to the score for the first time: Wow, I really love the sense of muted patriotism and earnest emotion that pervades much of it (haven't yet seen the film). And of course, Hymn to the Fallen is just glorious.

I wanted to confirm if others have heard the clicking/popping noises at the starts/ends of the tracks (except for the last 2). I don't believe this was present in the original 1998 OST. I have gapless playback, so I have to assume these sounds are actually on the tracks themselves.