SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

You can make the cover art with crayons in any color you want! You could even do different levels of embossing!

-_-

Oh man. Embossing!

8bc0f1d691aa1471c12280f2926f7ee1.jpg

Great! So they at least did some fine-tuning!  

I'll get it on the first day. It's one of my favourite scores, after all. I'll treasure it.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm wondering what this implies.

That he's real persnickety about details I would never notice or care about, which is part of why he's the best.

1 minute ago, phbart said:

Plausible explanation... but still, this is supposed to be the year for the books, and a "deluxe packing" is not enough for me. Sorry.

You say this like anyone's supposed to care.

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You say this like anyone's supposed to care.

I don't care if anyone cares or doesn't care, actually. Buy it if you like it. It's your money. Now, carry on. 😎

25 minutes ago, John Chambers said:

When it came to the audio, he took the time to listen to some of the original release -- which is actually a BIG DEAL, and said that he was happy with the program, the mix and the sound quality. That was certainly enough for me.

JW asking for a new release to sound identical to a previous release?? Now that's a real shocker! Never happened before...

9 minutes ago, phbart said:

Plausible explanation... but still, this is supposed to be the year for the books, and a "deluxe packing" is not enough for me. Sorry.

I'll buy it if is has pop-up figures like the Lost World OST.

5 minutes ago, phbart said:

JW prefering a new release to sound identical to a previous release?? Now that's a real shocker! Never happened before...

What are you complaining about???  Unless you have any specific issues with the mastering/mixing of the original album, why post ironic snark just for the sake of it?

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That he's real persnickety about details I would never notice or care about, which is part of why he's the best.

Maybe there's some noise at the start and end of tracks like with the Clones OST. I don't remember.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'll buy it if is has pop-up figures like the Lost World OST.

I could be Tom Hanks pop-up with those bult-in mini speakers saying "Earn this!". That would be a deluxe packing!

Not pissed. Not at all. Just a little suprised. Newer JW scores than SPR have been remastered while the original sounded good already, so why not this? I mean, to help the sales and all since there isn't much material to add.

I just love it when people complain about something they haven't even heard yet.  Good lord folks, let's give it a chance before we pull out the torch and pitchforks...  🙄

Also, why would LLL say this year is going to be one for the books if they didn't have everything already approved and finalized for release?  Enough already with the griping, it's frickin' August, not New Year's Eve.  I won't call out names cuz you know who you are.

Just remember, you're entitled to your opinion, except when it's wrong! ;)

I think it just depends on WHO opines that it sounds good already.

The fans?  No impact on whether they "remaster"

Matessino?  A strong impact

Williams?  A much stronger impact.

One thing slightly puzzles me.

The tracks on the OS album had no issues whatsoever with endings or beginnings. So what exactly did they improve? 

Still no words on alternate tracks. Or songs, for that matter.

If the Home Alone 25th anniversary edition is any indication, this one'll include songs!

37 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

He mentioned fans saying "louder and brighter"... he's talking about me, huh.

With your current hearing issues you should probably stay away from "louder and brighter".

I bet those 2 minutes of unreleased material are SFX demos of guns firing and bombs exploding. Maybe some dialogue snippets too. Didn't Earthquake had a SFX track on the Varèse CD?

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

With your current hearing issues you should probably stay away from "louder and brighter".

That's probably half my CD collection. And I haven't listened to any music at all in almost two months.

It's great that Mike is working so closely with John's close circle of collaborators! Especially Patricia Sullivan, who did a marvellous job mastering Last Jedi and many other JW scores. Nice of her to take the time to find her original notes from the SPR sessions too.

Intriguing that JW relistening to parts of the OST is considered a big deal? I assumed JW had always listened to Matessino's assemblies throughout development, passing on notes about suggested sequencing changes.

Is JW revisiting the OST assembly unusual because he would ordinarily make up his mind about an expansion without going to the trouble of revisiting his OST presentation? Or does JW now mostly defer sequencing/editing suggestions to his team? 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Intriguing that JW relistening to parts of the OST is considered a big deal? I assumed JW had always listened to Matessino's assemblies throughout development, passing on notes about suggested sequencing changes.

Exactly what I thought. I hope this doesn't set a trend.

4 minutes ago, phbart said:

Exactly what I thought. I hope this doesn't set a trend.

But it seems like MM is phrasing that part as a good thing. That Williams ordinarily wouldn't bother being so hands-on but, in this instance, went to the trouble of personally revisiting something he'd moved on from. 

Maybe when he was told there was such little unreleased music he started wondering how he sequenced the OST and needed a refresher. Also to decide whether to have MM re-sequence the score chronologically or keep his original sequencing and allow the extra cues as bonuses at the end. Probably something simple like that.

Clearly Williams has softened on his stance on unreleased music over the years as 5 years ago I think his response would've been, "don't bother with anything extra for this one, I'm satisfied with how it is."

I don't think we need to worry too much about what the bonus tracks will be, Mike M knows what we want and has always been brilliant at getting us that regardless of the external constraints he seems to be put under. If I had to guess the bonus tracks after the original album program will be 'High School Teacher' as recorded and the complete 'The Last Battle' cue with the insert edited in, that way it will be easy to make a playlist of the complete score in order should we so wish.

Nice of MM to clear up what their source was for the release, too (Patricia's digital masters from 98). I was mostly just curious if they did a fresh scan of the analogue stereo master tapes. 

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

But it seems like MM is phrasing that part as a good thing.

I'm pretty sure MM had other things in mind. I guess this is just him being a good politician, since he's so close to the JW camp than ever before and trying to keep himself there.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Why did MM waste his time with this while The Mummy and The Mummy Returns clearly needed his superior skills?

Maybe he wasn't asked? Or was too busy? He likely has other Williams releases in the pipeline that he's busy with. 

4 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Why did MM waste his time with this while The Mummy and The Mummy Returns clearly needed his superior skills?

Why are you wasting your time on a JW site? 😂 

5 minutes ago, phbart said:

I'm pretty sure MM had other things in mind. I guess this is just him being a good politician, since he's so close to the JW camp than ever before and trying to keep himself there.

Exactly. Clearly the opportunity presented itself, probably from Williams' camp. No chance LLL or MM ever turn down the chance to release a Spielberg/Williams score, regardless of how little unreleased meat is left on the bone. 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Exactly. Clearly the opportunity presented itself, probably from Williams' camp. No chance LLL or MM ever turn down the chance to release a Spielberg/Williams score, regardless of how little unreleased meat is left on the bone. 

This