SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

Hard to tell just by listening to the samples, but "Omaha Beach" sounds slightly less fuzzy here than on the OS album, the strings are somewhat cleaner and more defined. I think the sound quality will be noticeably better.

Also, "The Last Battle" (film version) what's heard here uses a different take. So they didn't just put in the insert, but they used an entirely different take, at least for the trumpet section. I listened to this so often, I can tell the difference right away! 

15 hours ago, Jay said:

The album track titled "High School Teacher" only ever presented a portion of the actual "High School Teacher" cue; Williams decided to replace 3 bars (about 10 seconds) of the middle of the cue with about 7 minutes of material repeated from Omaha Beach for album listening experience purposes.

Another one of those somewhat baffling composer editorial decisions for listening experience purposes. Glad to have the original cue in unedited form.

The cue "High School Teacher" plays when the soldiers are burying Wade as the sun goes down. That portion of the cue always reminds me of Always. Those who are very familiar with the score will know what I'm talking about.

What's that orchestration? Harps, doubled with piano and/or celeste? Very distinctive, and vintage John Williams! 

11 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Ordered the set, I thought 'what the hell, I don't have the original set so I'll pick this up!'.

Well if I didn't own the OST, it would be a no-brainer to order this release.

Although the postage is rather horrible for us people ordering this from overseas. I ended up paying almost as much for the delivery as for the actual disc. Which is an odd form of highway robbery. I hope that at least  the delivery will be prompt.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, the La-la land shipping is really borderline inhumane. And it's not that fast either. At least they protect the CDs well.

All these small labels have rather high delivery costs, especially when you order a single disc. But with LLL the delivery time varies. The fastest has been 3 days to Finland but the worst has been over 2 weeks (I actually lay the blame in part on the slow Finnish postal service).

39 minutes ago, Incanus said:

All these small labels have rather high delivery costs, especially when you order a single disc. But with LLL the delivery time varies. The fastest has been 3 days to Finland but the worst has been over 2 weeks (I actually lay the blame in part on the slow Finnish postal service).

Am I just very unlucky, or has Amazon's packaging really dropped in sturdiness over the last few years? I've had a load of orders that have been damaged in transit, both CDs and books, and I've ordered from all their European sites and occasionally from the USA.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Well if I didn't own the OST, it would be a no-brainer to order this release.

Although the postage is rather horrible for us people ordering this from overseas. I ended up paying almost as much for the delivery as for the actual disc. Which is an odd form of highway robbery. I hope that at least  the delivery will be prompt.

I'm not a terribly huge fan of the film, and can't remember most of the score, so it was more of an impulse of getting it now before it's too late.

All up with postage, my order was close to fifty Australian dollars! Agh!

27 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'm not a terribly huge fan of the film, and can't remember most of the score, so it was more of an impulse of getting it now before it's too late.

Yeah, those 4000 units are gonna sell like ice in Sahara! Or not.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

The fastest has been 3 days to Finland

That must be the exception that confirms the rule.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Hmm, I think I might be more worried about not having the funds at the right time to buy these collector's sets. I know it'll be a while before it indeed does sell out.

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Probably not. I suspect only die-hard fans of John Williams will probably consider purchasing this along those who don't have the OST yet and are curious about this music. I also acknowledge that this type of moody, sombre and subdued Americana Williams isn't everybody's cup of tea with all those warm strings and noble plaintive brass solos.

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Probably not. I suspect only die-hard fans of John Williams will probably consider purchasing this along those who don't have the OST yet and are curious about this music. I also acknowledge that this type of moody, sombre and subdued Americana Williams isn't everybody's cup of tea with all those warm strings and noble plaintive brass solos.

I will have to get this but will pair this up as more releases come forward.

The specialty labels have conditioned us well. Despite knowing that this release won't probably sell out anytime soon, I still felt the pressing panic to purchase this the moment it came available out of subconscious fear it will sell out because it is a limited pressing and I won't be able to get it. :lol:   

I don't really need to buy this as the OST is more than sufficient. But it's always nice to have Matessino/Williams release with pretty booklet and liner notes. I might get rid of the old disc instead. Plus it closes the book on this one and I want LLL to keep releasing more Williams (until the well is dry!). So yeah, more of a "tactical" purchase here (if you will). :)

Karol

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

You're right, but you're forgetting one thing.

This movie has a massive fan base. It was a smash hit at the box office, but it was an even bigger hit as DVD and Bluray. 

I think many fans of the movie will pick this up, as well (unlike Hook, A.I., Empire of the Sun, etc), and the folks at LLL are counting on that, although selling 4,000 copies will still be tricky. 

6 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

This movie has a massive fan base. It was a smash hit at the box office, but it was an even bigger hit as DVD and Bluray. 

Considering the film wasnt released on Blu-ray till 12 years after it's release I would think it doubtful that it did better than when it played in the cinema.

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

You're right, but you're forgetting one thing.

I think many fans of the movie will pick this up, as well (unlike Hook, A.I., Empire of the Sun, etc), and the folks at LLL are counting on that, although selling 4,000 copies will still be tricky. 

I don't think that argument holds up, though. If MM did Hook, don't you think it would sell out faster than this one? And if we're talking about movie fans... Titanic is still not out of print. I really do not understand that.

$50 is a big commitment for an impulse buy.

(I do plan on buying it eventually if it doesn't sell out first, although my preference would have been a slightly cheaper release without that last disc of source music)

Well, I have a mortgage and daycare bills.

But neither Titanic nor, usually, Horner, are high-interest items me.  Certainly early 20th century doofus source music doesn't interest me.

I don't have money problems (unlike  apparently many here), but I don't buy any specialty releases except John Williams.

I bought a few Goldsmith a few years ago, but then I realized I never listen to these (Basic Instinct, Total Recall, Alien, etc.) If it's not Williams, the OS album is sufficient.

16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't think that argument holds up, though. If MM did Hook, don't you think it would sell out faster than this one? And if we're talking about movie fans... Titanic is still not out of print. I really do not understand that.

Titanic is oversaturated.

But there's a reason Titanic is the most popular and sold soundtrack album in history. The movie has a massive fan base. 

SPR will do better than Hook, I presume. Hook the movie has almost no fan base whatsoever. The only people craving the full Hook score are the film score fans.