SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Basically this was supposed to be a digital and vinyl only release. We convinced UMG to let us do the vinyl, due this Fall, on one condition -- we get to do the CD as well. There is really nothing to add, less than 2 minutes, but it gave us the opportunity to have Mike write the notes and Jim do the artwork to one of the finest films in the past 20 years...to allow us to give this modern classic the deluxe package it deserves. We are honored to be releasing this score and we hope you enjoy its presentation.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Not remastered at all. Mr Williams, Mike Matessino and Neil Bulk all agreed the master was fine as is, so no need to remaster anything. 

MV

48 minutes ago, Wojism said:

If it was a year for the good book, then wouldn't it be the End Times? 

With LLL starting to act like Varèse Sarabande? You bet it is the End Times! ☠️

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

It's very effective pro-war propaganda movie. In fact, it's so effective, some people don't even understand or realize it's propaganda. 

Opening shot: American flag 

Closing shot: American  flag

The Message: American soldiers are brave heroes, who fight for freedom and democracy, and are the good guys. They go through hell, and war is hell, but war is necessary, and their country is grateful to them for fighting it. In fact, if it weren't for them, we'd all be speaking German!

If you really think this movie is not pro-war propaganda, you must be a brainwashed American! 

Ah, good ol’ fashioned Josh500 conspiracy theories. 

Not remastered? Hmm... I'm assuming the score was recorded in analogue so hopefully they at least did a modern scan of the session tapes. That alone should result in superior/sharper sound to the OST.

6 hours ago, Bilbo said:

So it isn’t remastered and there’s only two minutes music more than the ost which is available for less than a tanner.

Again, there could be alternates, songs, and whatnot.

I doubt they'd release this limited-to -4,000 unit edition when the only difference is less than two minutes of additional music.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Not remastered? Hmm... I'm assuming the score was recorded in analogue so hopefully they at least did a modern scan of the session tapes. That alone should result in superior/sharper sound to the OST.

Didn't the post above say they did nothing of the kind?

1 hour ago, Wojism said:

Josh500 is just so anti-American that anything pro-American on this level gives him major heartburn. 

Sure. Me, and about 90% of the world. I tell the truth like it is, sorry if it offends you.😂 

3 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

Well if they didn't have to pay to assemble, mix and master this all from scratch, maybe it'll at least be cheap.

Even if it is cheap, I'm thinking it won't be cheaper than 7,99, the current price of the OS album.

Me: I want An American Tail or Fievel Goes West complete, please. 

Everyone: Ha, don't be daft! There's not much missing on those albums!

-this gets released-

Everyone: OH GOD YES WE COULDN'T LISTEN TO THE OST ANYMORE KNOWING THOSE TWO MINUTES WERE MISSING

16 hours ago, Jay said:

:blink:

Oops, should have read "originally"!

Looks like autocorrect and posting before bed aren't great bedfellows!

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Didn't the post above say they did nothing of the kind?

Guess it depends on your definition of "remastered." Does that specifically mean a fresh scan of the analogue elements? 

They might just be using whatever digital source existed which, if the same source was used for the OST, will sound identical. 

I fear this Will be the Williams assembled OST + the Two bonus tracks. I Hope atte least like in ceotk the bonus tracks include the unedited tracks ..so one can assemble the complete score.

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I fear this Will be the Williams assembled OST + the Two bonus tracks. I Hope atte least like in ceotk the bonus tracks include the unedited tracks ..so one can assemble the complete score.

Yep, I've got a sneaking suspicion this might be the case. Bonus tracks will probably just be the two cues with film inserts/edited bars reinstated at the end. Maybe a choirless HTTF but I somehow doubt Williams would approve that. 

The score doesn't really lend itself to a chronological presentation. 

45 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

It would be nice to discuss about what one likes or dislikes about any piece of creative work, but adamant one-liners are all easier.

SPR is a great film, but it surely has some serious issues in writing in the last act that prevent it to be a full-on masterpiece. For example, the decision of Private Ryan to stay with the brigade and fight the last battle is pretty much non-sense from many points of view, as it is the choice of the reappearance of the German private that was previously let go by Upham only to be killed by him nonetheless. These are choices that border on manipulation. Also, the epilogue with old man Ryan at the military cemetary saying to his wife "Tell me that I've been a good man" borders on real unnecessary schmaltz (especially considering what we saw before).

However, I completely understand why Spielberg went that way. He said several times that the film was a tribute to his father and that generation of men who fought during WW2. The film isn't jingoistic or propaganda-like work for American military service, not at all. Even the US flag bookending the film is strangely faded and muted in colours (accompanied by JW not with patriotic fanfares, but with mournful brass writing) as to reflect the bitterness and uncertainty of all this. Despite the horrors and violence depicted, Spielberg wanted to tribute a generation of people who fought what (especially for a Jewish person) was seen as a duty. As Schindler's List isn't a film about the Holocaust, but a story of how some people survived to that nonsense to become witness of history for posterity, Saving Private Ryan isn't a film about the horrors of war, but a story about a group of people who tried to find a moral compass among themselves within such a chaotic and violent context.

It's also a tribute to the generation of filmmakers who went on the front to film and document the war, like John Ford, George Stevens, John Huston, William Wyler and Frank Capra. SPR is indeed hugely influenced by the filming style and tone of those documentaries. It's also particularly Ford-esque in its depiction of characters. The scene when Capt. Miller tells about the recollection of his wife working in the rose garden always struck me as very John Ford-like (perhaps it's more about the feeling of the scene).

A+ post!  I agree with basically everything.

I recognize it’s not a perfect movie but it rings so emotionally true and pure that I love it just the same as I do more unassailable classics of his filmography.

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yep, I've got a sneaking suspicion this might be the case. Bonus tracks will probably just be the two cues with film inserts/edited bars reinstated at the end. Maybe a choirless HTTF but I somehow doubt Williams would approve that.

I like the OST sequencing, it works great (even though I usually skip Hymn to the Fallen at the start, as imho works best just as curtain closer).

Hymn to the Fallen was recorded with orchestra and choir together at Symphony Hall, Boston (as seen in the DVD featurette), I don't think JW recorded an orchestra-only version.

I'd love a lower key version of HTTF (although as suggested above, won't happen). It's a nice cue but the choir section near the end is completely OTT.

I used to enjoy the score but less so these days. While it's way more accessible than Schindler's List, it's such a monotonous listen. Partly for me it's the patriotic style heavily using brass, whch doesn't do much for me.

Funny thing is in this case, that the two missing sections which stop the OST being complete are elements which many speciality expansions still get wrong.

Is this an expansion with the least ever amount of additional music?

Yeah, Omaha Beach was my favourite score track. But it's very slow and has nothing different/interesting in orchestration over its 9 minutes.

Not to derail, but my problem with SL is that while I respect its composition, I can't appreciate most of it as music. Patly because it's so damn depressing.

Some scores just work brilliantly in a film but don't work quite so well in soundtrack form, because it doesn't have visual aid and suddenly you're not listening with 20-30 minute gaps between cues -- it's one track right after another and doesn't "breathe" as it does across a 3 hour movie.

It's the same principal of eating an entire block of chocolate -- you can easily consume the whole block if you eat it gradually over 2 years, but attempt to eat it in 30 minutes? You're going to feel sick and want to stop.

14 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yeah, Omaha Beach was my favourite score track. But it's very slow and has nothing differentinteresting in orchestration over its 9 minutes.

I disagree.

Again, you have to work to "discover" it. Once you find it, it's even more rewarding.

The entire piece is phenomenal, but one such moment that stands out for me is the slow, quiet, almost hypnotic passage with the clarinets, before the grief. Those who know the score know what I'm talking about! The elderly mother alone in the house, washing the dishes and looking out the window at the summery landscape.... 

I must have listened to this moment alone over 50 times by now.

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

The entire piece is phenomenal, but one such moment that stands out for me is the slow, quiet, almost hypnotic passage with the clarinets, before the grief. Those who know the score knows what I'm talking about! The elderly mother alone in the house, washing the dishes and looking out the window at the summery landscape.... 

Yes, that is a superbly scored moment. I haven't listened to this score in years bit O can hear that entire cue, synced perfectly to the visuals, right now in my head. Especially when the cellos (I think?) come in as the mother collapses on the porch. Such a remarkably subtle orchestration that makes the scene so gut-wrenching.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Guess it depends on your definition of "remastered." Does that specifically mean a fresh scan of the analogue elements? 

They might just be using whatever digital source existed which, if the same source was used for the OST, will sound identical. 

Actually, I'm thinking that if they something to improve the sound quality, they would have mentioned it. 

Since they didn't mention it... I don't know. I'm not optimistic.

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yes, that is a superbly scored moment. I haven't listened to this score in years bit O can hear that entire cue, synced perfectly to the visuals, right now in my head. Especially when the cellos (I think?) come in as the mother collapses on the porch. Such a remarkably subtle orchestration that makes the scene so gut-wrenching.

Wow, that was fast. Exactly what I'm talking about.

This moment impressed me to no end.... Not just the music itself, but the entire scene. The combination.

But the clarinet moment starts a little earlier, at around 3:56. So heartwarming, tragic, and gut-wrenching!

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Since they didn't mention it... I don't know. I'm not optimistic.

I would guess they've used the same digital source that was used to create the OST master, which saved them the expense of a new transfer.

Hence the comment that Williams was satisfied with the audio quality of the existing source.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Hence the comment that Williams was satisfied with the audio quality of the existing source.

It'd have been great if they had improved the sound quality, of course, but it's actually not bad as it is.

I'm just hoping that they add more music than 2 minutes!

It's not really a score where intricate detail/sharpness in the recording is necessary. I don't know the musical lingo but the score is pretty "muted" with its constant passages of brass and strings.

28 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I would guess they've used the same digital source that was used to create the OST master, which saved them the expense of a new transfer.

No disrespect towards JW, but I don't think he's the best to judge the sound quality at 86 years of age.

Well someone knew well enough to overhaul the uneven mixing that befell TFA when TLJ was scored.

Whether that was Williams, Murphy or Sullivan (maybe even Rian Johnson), who knows... but clearly Williams supported the change.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well someone knew well enough to overhaul the atrocious mixing that befell TFA for TLJ.

Whether that was Williams, Murphy or Sullivan (maybe even Rian Johnson), who knows... but clearly Williams agreed with the change.

Are you referring to the bluray vs the theatrical releases?

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No disrespect towards JW, but I don't think he's the best to just the sound quality at 86 years of age.

Well, since I believe that’s the age of the average LLL customer, he’s actually the perfect test listener!

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

Well, since I believe that’s the age of the average LLL customer, he’s actually perfect test listener!

I believe that's just your age, Nick. ;)

(judging by your profile picture)

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you referring to the bluray vs the theatrical releases?

No, the mix of the score itself. TLJ sounds completely different to TFA, despite being performed in the same studio by practically the some orchestra. It's probably the best sounding score in the entire saga outside TPM, although the ceaseless butchering of AQ on OT releases makes it hard to judge fairly.

The sound mix of the films themselves is unrelated, although I'm sure JW made his feelings very clear to people high up at Lucasfilm (cough*Kathy*Kennedy*cough) about the treatment of his score in TFA's mix.

Hopefully they pick up right where they left off with TLJ. Same studio, musicians and microphone setup, if we're lucky.

My concern is that JJ requested TFA's "old school" mix (heavy focus on dry brass) and might ask the same for IX, but hopefully they stick with TLJ's warmer, wetter sound (which feels right at home with ROTJ and the prequels).

I felt slightly depressed that this was originally only going to be digital or vinyl. CDs are truly dying and I for one will not go down without taking everyone of you with me!

One day there won't be CD releases at all, just vinyl! Arggh!

47 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I felt slightly depressed that this was originally only going to be digital or vinyl. CDs are truly dying and I for one will not go down without taking everyone of you with me!

I would like to have the option to buy lossless digital files from LLL and the other labels, so this is actually sort of encouraging news. So many times I buy a CD set that I end up needing to reassemble once I've ripped it to my computer, which makes it feel a little pointless to have a CD sitting around that I won't actually play. I do like having a CD in times where no assembly is required... Jaws, for example, I play the CD all the time.

Ideally, there would be a simultaneous CD and digital release each time, though I know the labels don't usually have this option.

Yep, the cost, distance and overall effort required to ship a CD feels more and more unneeded, when I could just as easily download the exact same files.

While it's sort of nice to have the CD booklet and notes, the CD itself is pointless, and once I've ripped it to flac, I'll probably never remove the CD again. While I'm of the CD-buying generation, the economics come first.

6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

It would be nice to discuss about what one likes or dislikes about any piece of creative work, but adamant one-liners are all easier.

SPR is a great film, but it surely has some serious issues in writing in the last act that prevent it to be a full-on masterpiece. For example, the decision of Private Ryan to stay with the brigade and fight the last battle is pretty much non-sense from many points of view, as it is the choice of the reappearance of the German private that was previously let go by Upham only to be killed by him nonetheless. These are choices that border on manipulation. Also, the epilogue with old man Ryan at the military cemetary saying to his wife "Tell me that I've been a good man" borders on real unnecessary schmaltz (especially considering what we saw before).

However, I completely understand why Spielberg went that way. He said several times that the film was a tribute to his father and that generation of men who fought during WW2. The film isn't jingoistic or propaganda-like work for American military service, not at all. Even the US flag bookending the film is strangely faded and muted in colours (accompanied by JW not with patriotic fanfares, but with mournful brass writing) as to reflect the bitterness and uncertainty of all this. Despite the horrors and violence depicted, Spielberg wanted to tribute a generation of people who fought what (especially for a Jewish person) was seen as a duty. As Schindler's List isn't a film about the Holocaust, but a story of how some people survived to that nonsense to become witness of history for posterity, Saving Private Ryan isn't a film about the horrors of war, but a story about a group of people who tried to find a moral compass among themselves within such a chaotic and violent context.

It's also a tribute to the generation of filmmakers who went on the front to film and document the war, like John Ford, George Stevens, John Huston, William Wyler and Frank Capra. SPR is indeed hugely influenced by the filming style and tone of those documentaries. It's also particularly Ford-esque in its depiction of characters. The scene when Capt. Miller tells about the recollection of his wife working in the rose garden always struck me as very John Ford-like (perhaps it's more about the feeling of the scene).

A+ post indeed! Sophisticated arguments that might be way to subtle for our anti-American.

35 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yep, the cost, distance and overall effort required to ship a CD feels more and more unneeded, when I could just as easily download the exact same files.

While it's sort of nice to have the CD booklet and notes, the CD itself is pointless, and once I've ripped it to flac, I'll probably never remove the CD again. While I'm of the CD-buying generation, the economics come first.

But how do I put a download on my shelf to exist in a library-like archive with my other CDs?