SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

25 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Maybe Johnny originally scored the battle scenes with pumping action music, but when Steven turned him down, he found it embarassing to release the music on the OST.;)

When the sheet music leaked, it didn't reveal any additional music beyond the 3 bars of High School Teacher that weren't on the OST.  Interviews at the time of course confirmed he never scored the battle sequences anyway.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

When the sheet music leaked, it didn't reveal any additional music beyond the 3 bars of High School Teacher that weren't on the OST.  Interviews at the time of course confirmed he never scored the battle sequences anyway.

This has to be the least expanded release in the history of expanded releases.

I've only mentioned what can be heard in the film, and what was in the sheet music leak.  I've said nothing about what's on the new CD.

Spielberg himself says in the liner notes that he thinks that the film has the least amount of music among their movie collaborations.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've only mentioned what can be heard in the film, and what was in the sheet music leak.  I've said nothing about what's on the new CD.

Oh, it was just a joke, forgot to add this:

:lol:

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Spielberg himself says in the liner notes that he thinks that the film has the least amount of music among their movie collaborations.

Sugarland Express is shorter I believe

18 hours ago, Incanus said:

Stevie baby, I'm kind of tired of you always making a new film, so I'll just write a few hundred bars and play them very slowly. I won't even bother with the action scenes.

47 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Maybe Johnny originally scored the battle scenes with pumping action music, but when Steven turned him down, he found it embarassing to release the music on the OST.;)

There you go. The original take on the second part of Omaha landing sequence. ;)

Karol

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I love Williams, i really do. But SPR is such a dull score. Impossible to get through.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

So 4,000 copies of this.

Wonder whether this will sell out in our lifetime. 😂 

And I thought I was alone on this. The ONLY piece of music of SPR I really like is Hymn to the Fallen. Everything else is... meh!

Probably not the best way to start the year of the book.

Is this the one where the proceeds from this release will go as donation to some charity? MV mentioned something about it in the FSM threads. 

6 minutes ago, phbart said:

And I thought I was alone on this. The ONLY piece of music of SPR I really like is Hymn to the Fallen. Everything else is... meh!

I thought so for the first ten years, too.

Then I really "discovered" it, something very few people here apparently have done. And it's really one of the best JW scores, probably even in my Top 10! Yes, it's that good. It's just 10 times harder to "get" it. But once you do.... Oh boy....

No product page up yet?

SPR is a beautiful score but I need to see what is included in this release before deciding on a purchase.

Also, is LL ever going to reprint AI? I'e been waiting on that one forever.

24 minutes ago, phbart said:

The first chapter of the 2018 book finally. Like Tom Hanks would say...

earn-it.jpg

The movie itself, while expertly shot by Spielberg as always, is totally bs, of course. Just your regular, simplistic American pro-war propaganda bs movie, has little to do with historical facts.

But as a piece of fiction, it's rather entertaining. And well scored, of course.

3 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

No product page up yet?

Product pages never go up until the day the titles are up for sale, and this isn't coming out until August 28th.

The way I'm looking at this release is like Blue Note Records reissues:  same basic album rereleased years later for this who might've missed it, with bonus tracks to appeal to fans already familiar. Depending on what the bonus teacks are, this could be really cool! I hope there's an alternate version of "Wade's Death"!

8 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Also, is LL ever going to reprint AI? I'e been waiting on that one forever.

That was in stock until two to three weeks ago. I know, 'cause I ordered it and it was shipped right away.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I hope there's an alternate version of "Wade's Death"!

"Wade Lives"?

:sarcasm:

19 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

The movie itself, while expertly shot by Spielberg as always, is totally bs, of course. Just your regular, simplistic American pro-war propaganda bs movie, has little to do with historical facts.

That the film's pro-American, there's no doubt. The movie certainly has a point of view.

But aside from the story itself, which is obviously fictional, and various technical inaccuracies with equipment, weapons etc. that all war movies get wrong to one degree or another, which bits do you find most contrary to the "facts"?

Because if they only announced it on the day it goes for sale like Intrada, they'd have a bunch of people whining why they can't tell us what the releases will be already. You can structure your wallet this way knowing whether you'll want to buy anything.

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Out of interest, what is happening between now and 28th August? Or, why do they announce it now while having to wait a month?

They'll have to locate the master elements, do a new transfer, remix and a master, get JW's, SP's, and the studio's approvements, press the CDs, design new artwork, print the artwork, and order the jewel-cases.

:P

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The Star Wars scores are owned by Disney now and any expansions would come out on Disney Records, not a specialty label.

Brutal couple of decades. First RCA Victor, then Sony, then Disney Records...

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Any one who thinks Saving Private Ryan is pro-war didn't really watch the movie.

Well I said pro-American, not pro-war.   I don't think the film's pro-war.

However, I don't think it's exactly anti-war either.  Despite the gruesome depiction of violence, the film follows in the tradition of many WW II films as portraying war as a heroic endeavour.  That's not a criticism, many of the best war movies do.  But SPR is by and large a war film in the tradition of classic American war films (again, not a criticism).

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So in your point of view pro-American = pro-war?

Well, I guess you're right.

I was really responding to Josh's post, which explicitly says "pro-war."  Also, please don't paint my people with such broad strokes.

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Well I said pro-American, not pro-war.   I don't think the film's pro-war.

However, I don't think it's exactly anti-war either.  Despite the gruesome depiction of violence, the film follows in the tradition of many WW II films as portraying war as a heroic endeavour.  That's not a criticism, many of the best war movies do.  But SPR is by and large a war film in the tradition of classic American war films.

It's not as jingoistic as some of the early Hollywood WWII movies (like, say, John Wayne), nor is it as cynical as, say, Oliver Stone type of war movie.  It strikes a dignified balance IMO.

It also treats its main characters with a great deal of real humanity.  Very grounded portrayals of normal American young men forced into an insane situation.  That's what I love about the movie.  More cynical does not always equal more realistic.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's not as jingoistic as some of the early Hollywood WWII movies (like, say, John Wayne), nor is it as cynical as, say, Oliver Stone type of war movie.  It strikes a dignified balance IMO.

It also treats its main characters with a great deal of real humanity.  Very grounded portrayals of normal American young men forced into an insane situation.  That's what I love about the movie.  More cynical does not always equal more realistic.

Agree completely...especially with the last line.

6 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Agree completely...especially with the last line.

Agreed with the agreement! I was really opened to this idea in high school: I saw this film for the first time 11 years ago when I was in 8th grade, at a friend's where the family constantly talks to the screen. And everytime the translator guy was on screen, they would constantly insult him for being a coward, not shooting x guy when given the chance, protesting a certain decision, etc. So that was my conception of him.

Years later, though, I saw the James Lipton episode with Steven Spielberg, where he basically said he would have _been_ that character, and that he didn't consider him a coward...really opened my eyes to the portrayals of all the men in this film.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Agreed with the agreement! I was really opened to this idea in high school: I saw this film for the first time 11 years ago when I was in 8th grade, at a friend's where the family constantly talks to the screen. And everytime the translator guy was on screen, they would constantly insult him for being a coward, not shooting x guy when given the chance, protesting a certain decision, etc. So that was my conception of him.

Years later, though, I saw the James Lipton episode with Steven Spielberg, where he basically said he would have _been_ that character, and that he didn't consider him a coward...really opened my eyes to the portrayals of all the men in this film.

The use of Jeremy Davies as essentially an audience surrogate is one of the most brilliant things about this movie!