Danny Elfman's MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - 2019 2CD La-La Land Edition

Jay

I am so happy right now!!!

LLLCD 1411 - Mission Impossible 20th Anniversary 2 cd set (yes, it was supposed to be released in 2016, but we are still waiting on a rewrite/interview for the notes). Maybe next year? :(

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=67395&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=40&r=860#bottom

Well there's no point of having 20+ minutes of music on second disc, is there? Unless there would be something else of interest to include.

Karol

Why wouldn't there be a point?  What are you talking about?

If Danny's score fills up disc 1, and then disc 2 is the world premiere of what Alan Silvestri recorded, why does it matter how long it is?

I really don't get what you're going on about here?

I have no comment on the expansion, for obvious reasons, but I just wanted to say that this was such a landmark score. A turning-point in Elfman's career. With this, he nurtured complex counterpoints and dense soundscapes to a higher degree than he'd ever done before; and it became a benchmark for scores to come. I listed this as the first major 'style change' when I did the Elfman buyer's guide for FSM years ago.

I've had the Silvestri for years (and ERASER, which did indeed include much of the material), and it's never done much for me. But a commercial release would be great. It's always fascinating when a rejected score is released.

Yes!  It's brilliant stuff!

I can listen to it over and over and over again and never tire of it.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why wouldn't there be a point?  What are you talking about?

If Danny's score fills up disc 1, and then disc 2 is the world premiere of what Alan Silvestri recorded, why does it matter how long it is?

I really don't get what you're going on about here?

Another $12.75 (second CD plus shipping) and possibly customs fee (usually around $23) just because of 20 minutes of music?

Karol

I don't think any label would concern themselves with international shipping rates when deciding whether or not to license a previously unreleased rejected score or not.

All of this is probably moot anyway; I'd say the 2nd disc is much more likely to be the OST album that it is Silvestri's rejected score.  His rejected score will likely never be legally released ever.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I don't think any label would concern themselves with international shipping rates when deciding whether or not to license a previously unreleased rejected score or not.

All of this is probably moot anyway; I'd say the 2nd disc is much more likely to be the OST album that it is Silvestri's rejected score.  His rejected score will likely never be legally released ever.

Pick only one!

Me too!

The OST sounds kind of muddy too, like they dubbed the final mix off some bad 90s analog system.  A fresh digital scan of the original elements mastered properly would sound pretty great I imagine

1 hour ago, Jay said:

LLLCD 1411 - Mission Impossible 20th Anniversary 2 cd set 

Holy mother of God, that would have been magnificent! :drool: I'm well aware Elfman has done a lot of great work but somehow, this one has always been my favorite and the only one I keep listening to regularly. So definitely keeping my figers crossed for them to find the other half of the NOC list and release this baby sooner rather than later!

15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

A little compression never killed anyone!

It can kill ears! 

The Jurassic Park set is not an example of this, rest assured, but I was surprised when returning to JP's album awhile ago how much I liked the sound. It sounds softer and comfier, for lack of a better word. Still adore what they did for Lost World though, most certainly. 

You'll get better! I had a sort-of ringing in my ears months ago, which went on for about a week or so. Had to go without music in the meantime, which was increasingly miserable. Found something for it at the pharmacy, so I bet you'll be able to find something for yourself. :) 

4 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I could do with some reassurance.

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

You'll get better! I had a sort-of ringing in my ears months ago, which went on for about a week or so. Had to go without music in the meantime, which was increasingly miserable. Found something for it at the pharmacy, so I bet you'll be able to find something for yourself. :) 

What caused your ringing?

Mine was a high shockwave loud noise that's likely damaged the microscopic hairs of the cochlea.

No idea. Just woke up one morning to it, for no reason that's apparent to me. It kept going away and coming back. It was a huge panic for awhile, thinking "Is this it? Am I going to go deaf?". But I took one pill from the pharmacy, and it disappeared almost instantly. 

• 1 month later...

Just listening to a complete version of the score, don't know if it's a DVD rip, a session leak of even a leak from the upcoming LLL release ... but it sounds so good and I can't wait for the actual release! Especially the extended Mole Hunt is just awesome, even if it's just a few seconds more horror. 

And yeah, Silvestri's score on Disc 2 would be the icing on the cake but I can't imagine this happening.

Well since I don't own the original soundtrack album I'll be waiting for this with great interest.

• 10 months later...