Original MacGyver is being HD remastered

Maglorfin

OMG, this is SO exciting, I've always been a huge fan of the series! :drool:

The Original MACGYVER - HD Remastered!

I'm buying this the moment it comes out! The before and after comparison looks awesome even now, especially considering the crappy picture quality we have on the currently existing DVDs.

And, last but definitely not least - I remember reading somewhere that LLL has been working on the box set of music from all 7 seasons. I mean, if that being released were to coincide with the Blu-ray set coming out ...:drool::love2:

It's the dude who could use chewing gum, a paperclip, two dust bunnies and a bra hook to create an anti-aircraft missile platform, right?

The BBC tried it during early Saturday evenings back in the day, but I don't think it ever really took off in the UK. But at least I saw enough of it to know what all the Simpsons jokes were about.  

I remember being surprised a few years back when I learned this show ran until 1992.  As a kid seeing it in reruns (and referenced on the simpsons), it seemed like a relic of an ancient past, not a show that had been cancelled a couple of years before.

9 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

No Seinfeld. No Macgyver. You poms must be a tough crowd.

Seinfeld did run on late-night BBC2. I saw some of it.

I prefer Curb Your Enthusiasm. 

22 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Is this thread meant to be a joke? 

20 hours ago, Quintus said:

Never watched it. HD won't change that.

You two! Completely out of step with what JWfan likes.

8 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

20180803_050549.jpg

A mighty weapon! A very handy.

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A fantastic piece! You must be proud.

Well, it was pretty expensive and very limited, so yeah, I'm kind of happy and proud to have it in my collection.

• 2 months later...

Been re-watching this a lot lately. Up to Season 3, where it was entering an identity crisis, particularly in its thwarted attempts to become more of an ensemble.

Ugh, also this is where the genesis of the show's "social/environmental activism/awareness" episodes begins. After that, so many episodes become such a slog with either obnoxious preaching or the odd treasure hunting, that you're just sitting around waiting for a fun Murdoc episode or a Dr Zito episode. At that point, it was no longer the fun escapist show it once was in Seasons 1 and 2 with all the cool MacGyverism gimmicks and instead more about RDA's hot-air balloon sized ego.

But whatevs, it's all comfort food that I keep on in the background while I'm doing other things. I've always had a soft spot for TV shows from this era, like War of the Worlds, TNG, The Twilight Zone '85, Freddy's Nightmares, etc. and Mac counts highly among them.

In all seriousness, they did indeed remaster the whole show using the original elements, and even replaced all the old-style songs with contemporary stuff (not the theme song) I had no idea until a couple days ago

They remaster it again in 16K so we can see every single strand of Hasselhoff's chest hair with new music of the time added again. When Anderson runs in slo-mo the silicone of her implants will be rendered so clear we can see how they bounce a little less softly than her natural co-stars. 

But the shitty yet catchy theme song will remain because it's always here. Or there. Or...Bah. 

• 1 year later...

Anybody knows if a remastered MacGyver S2 is in the works?

EDIT: Looks like CBS have digitized the whole series in HD, but they pulled the plug on the blu ray releases after the first season due to low sales. However, it looks like a third party may get a license to release the whole series on blu.

https://www.macgyveronline.com/news-blogs/news/cbs-pull-plans-for-more-macgyver-blu-ray-releases/

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody knows if a remastered MacGyver S2 is in the works?

EDIT: Looks like CBS have digitized the whole series in HD, but they pulled the plug on the blu ray releases after the first season due to low sales. However, it looks like a third party may get a license to release the whole series on blu.

https://www.macgyveronline.com/news-blogs/news/cbs-pull-plans-for-more-macgyver-blu-ray-releases/

I'll have to buy them!