Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

39 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I think you're on the wrong board to object to making a theme do anything you want it to.

Plus the coldest statement (IMHO) of a Star Trek theme was Horner's Wrath of Khan theme here:

(4:33 if the link doesn't work.)

I didn't think Make it So was cold, it was determined.

That's not cold at all. Super warm. Full of heart. Alive.

Yeah, not available for me either, even when copying the URL into YouTube itself. No reason given (it's not been DMCA'd or made private because those have distinct notices)

image.png

With Star Trek it is a little bit like with James Bond. I seem to like it best, when it is rather not typical. I prefer the Craig Bonds over all the previous ones. I liked JJ Abrams first Star Trek movie. The second already was again almost too typical Star Trek for me.

And I really liked the first Picard season. In the second season I was a little annoyed, that half of the characters were suddenly somehow ... different characters. But I liked how at the end at last they made peace with the Borg.

Then 3rd season. Again everything is different. Hm. But the first 8 episodes really were a great story and I liked were that was going. For me the dissapointment started with episode 9, when the Borgs entered the scene. Again the old game. The idea for a nostalgia show where you bring together all the old actors, that you must be old not to be controlled by the borg was... I don't know, not my taste. Especially, when that means, you are either below 23 or above 55.

That Jack on the Borg ship suddendly needed to be plugged in made no sense to me, as the trick was, that the new borg work wireless. When I told that to my son, while watching he said, "That's just fashion". That made sense.

I didn't like, that at the end it was again just this blow something up in the core of the ship and everyone will be saved. But what really annoyed me was, this senior crew knew, we need to save the federation and we need the old ship, while ships and our security systems are being destroyed and people are getting killed. But when they entered the enterprise, they stood there talking about old times or just stood there ad were remembering the good old times. I always thought, I understand that they have all these nice memories, but really, why aren't you in a hurry. 

Anyway, I still liked season 1 best.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Anyway, I still liked season 1 best.

Yeah. None of these seasons felt like they wanted to deal with the Starfleet and "Ship and Crew" aspects of Star Trek. At least the first two seasons had a reason for that.

This season had many fine qualities but it was "Jean Luc and The Gang's Excellent Adventure".

You know you're in bad shape when The Search for Spock feels like a more "populated" universe.

I'm making my way through the soundtrack.

I enjoy the pastiche stuff for the Boldly Go feels.

I do not enjoy the banging percussion for the action music. 

It really is a mixed bag listen apart from the show.

11 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:
  • The music feels a bit like the ChatGPT Star Trek score; lots of loving quotes of the Courage fanfare, Jerry's TMP/TNG theme, nods to James Horner and Cliff Eidelman, and I especially loved the hint to Dennis McCarthy's finale from Generations which is really quite wonderful. However, outside of those moments, it's a little bit nondescript at times. It's a bit of a shame that the TNG cast didn't get their own theme as Jerry's theme still feels very tied to the original cast (although I concede that it only appeared in two of their movies) - I guess the original cast are almost more suited to James Horner's style.

Yeah, Jerry's main Trek theme appeared in only two films for the TOS cast, but THREE films for the TNG cast (in addition to adorning every episode of their seven season series, even if it was a reduced orchestration arranged by someone else).

I for one LOVE the new Titan theme by Stephen Barton.

Yavar

There was six and a half hours of music IIRC, the OST was two and a half. A volume 2 with another 2 would be awesome!

EDIT: I'm assuming that by 'the ending of episode 1 through 9' he means the edit of the First Contact End Credits? Because we definitely got several pieces of ending music for each episode. Definitely got 9's in 'Make It So'.

I LOVED the score!!!  And had lots of fun watching S3.  It did a good job of evolving the cast but keeping things TNG fun.  Plus it left the universe wide open for future possibilities.  I adored how much love they gave to Goldsmith and Horner.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2023 at 8:24 PM, pete said:

What I disliked about Star Trek Discovery was that every season seemed to be about some mysterious spacial anomaly! 

Just 2 and 4.

On 24/3/2023 at 1:24 AM, pete said:

What I disliked about Star Trek Discovery was that every season seemed to be about some mysterious spacial anomoly! 

Nothing wrong with spacial anomalies. Half the episodes of TNG & VOY were about spacial anomalies, and many of them outstanding Star Trek.

It’s not about what it’s about, it’s about how it’s written. The problem with Discovery is the writing. 

31 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Nothing wrong with spacial anomalies. Half the episodes of TNG & VOY were about spacial anomalies, and many of them outstanding Star Trek.

It’s not about what it’s about, it’s about how it’s written. The problem with Discovery is the writing. 

I was never bothered spacial anomolies in earlier shows. Just as I said, it seemed like most seasons had at their core some spacial anomoly mystery, but yeah, perhaps it's not the anomolies fault! And yes, I ws misremembering season 1. Just browsing episode summaries. I was thinking the mysterious star signal things in season 2 were season 1. Perhaps I wasn't just taken with the show, although I did like the mirror universe stuff.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Terry Matalas explains what went wrong with season 2, and also reveals some things that didn't make season 3.

Some quotes that stuck out for me:

“Jurati’s Borg, there is a misconception that they are the Borg in general, that the Borg were good [after season 2], which would have undone Wolf 359, which would have undone Picard, and none of the future they came back to would have looked the same. I was off working on season 3 as those final [season 2] episodes were written. And so we were reading scenes that didn’t end up getting shot. There was a brief scene with Jurati in which she explained that she stayed out of history’s way and they were a small collective of Borg, but they’re not the Borg of tens of billions of drones or anything like that.”

“So while Jurati Borg was always going to be the payoff to [season 2], it was never really intended to be a longer-running thing. At the last minute, we added the thing where there was the hole that was going to open up and destroy—they added that to give a burst of action to the [season 2] finale, to give her a reason to do all of this. So that started to become retrofit into, “Hey could this be something for season 3?” But we were already way down the line on what we were doing with it. So you could say that she was guarding this thing. We did have a line on the Enterprise-D from Riker—when he talks about the Borg transwarp conduit at Jupiter and that the one that Jurati was guarding was a distraction, the Queen’s way of saying, “Go over here.”… We had a whole thing about it. But when we got to the cut, it was just like this big exposition dump that was like, nobody cares. His son is on board, Starfleet is assimilated. There’s this giant thing and now we are retrofitting and explaining the Jurati Borg.”

Matalas summed up the issues with season 2 by saying “It’s all sort of the complicated parts of different people working on different things at the same. Making two seasons back-to-back like that is difficult.”

Source