Robert Redford Quits Acting

A24

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2018/08/06/robert-redford-retiring-acting-old-man-gun-new-movie/912801002/

Some of my fond memories of Mr. Redford:

5967_1.jpg

Jeremiah Johnson

41.jpg

Three Days Of The Condor

captain-america-the-winter-soldier-emily

Captain America: Winter Soldier

candidate1.jpg

The Candidate

I saw the topic and imagined him storming into an executives office, throwing his hat down, and screaming, "I QUIT!"

I saw him in two movies (one of them was Spy Game) and think he was very good in Captain America.

When I was very young, about 20. I was riding the train and I saw the most beautiful girl. I was shy back then, so when she would look at me, I would look away. As she got off, she gave me the most amazing smile. I went back every night for two weeks, but she never showed.

Obviously a legend but I can't say I was ever much of a fan. That's not to say I disliked him; I just didn't much care. 

And to the extent I appreciate him, it's as a director. My favourite thing he was involved with was A River Runs Through It...a beautiful film with a lovely score. 

One of his final roles was a great film called All is Lost, about a sailor marooned at sea. He's the only actor in the film, and it's quite good drama.

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

And to the extent I appreciate him, it's as a director. My favourite thing he was involved with was A River Runs Through It...a beautiful film with a lovely score. 

I feel bad that Bernstein’s score was rejected but it was the right call (from the brief live performance of his theme that I’ve heard).  Isham’s approach fit the tone of the film perfectly.

I guess I need to see more Robert Redford movies

I've seen:

The Sting - GREAT

Sneakers - Great from what I remember (I haven't seen it in over 20 years)

The Last Castle - Don't remember much about this movie

Spy Games - Don't remember much about this movie

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Good!

A Walk in the Woods - Good!

He was great in Adrift where he literally has no dialog and is the only actor in the whole film. 

Also great in his early Twilight Zone episode as a very kind grim reaper.

image.png

9 hours ago, Jay said:

The Last Castle - Don't remember much about this movie

Revolting. Originally written the other way around  - Redford turning out to be a scheming baddie - it was made into a Redford's-noble-sacrifice star vehicle at Redford's behest. Due to the diminishing power of movie stars nowadays, at least that is a thing of the past.

Excuse me, what? These guys earn peanuts, have no say in how the movie is made and are easily exchanged when they make (too many) waves. And rest assured, they never had any power comparable to the Will Smith's & Co. of yesteryear.

Sure! They're big stars with their names above the title on the poster, they get paid in the multi-millions (especially RDJ's ridiculous salaries), most of them have become bankable in their own right, etc.

But it's not just Marvel. What about other movies?

They're fossils. Let's just say that any serious literature about Hollywood's new abnormal will tell you that they desperately try to hop on the Disney train, produce much fewer movies overall and those dealing with 'stars' are 95% done by satellites and not the studios anymore. Which means it's more likely that a new Will Smith movie is financed by a conglomerate of chinese and indian money and if they're lucky, Sony puts that on their worldwide distribution chain.

Most big studios are now only prepared to put 6-8 tentpole movies every year into cinemas, and god forbid two of those are outright flops. It's only their big global distribution chains and all the people still on the payroll why they still gamble on all those mid-budget movies like 'Sully'.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

China is a big market for Hollywood now. However, the Chinese love Marvel but not Star Wars. Isn't that interesting?

Apparently there's a history to China's disinterest in SW. Will have to dig that up.

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

tumblr_ltbcblBGqH1qe5vzdo6_500.gif

Hmm? Yeah? Alright. Ok. Yeah. Well, I'll give it a try.

...and give him he-ee-lp whenever he needs it. :lol:

This is sad news. One of my favourite actors ever, is retiring. 

Possibly his best riposte:

You could have asked.

I did. She said "yes".

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Anyway, let's not turn this thread into another Star Wars or Star Trek thread. 

By now, I thought at least one person would have mentioned ...

allpresidentsmen.jpg

More relevant than ever!

Does anybody here speak Engli...does anybody here speak Spanish?

ATP'sM is a first class act, from beginning to end.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

The Last Castle 

12 hours ago, publicist said:

Revolting. Originally written the other way around  - Redford turning out to be a scheming baddie - it was made into a Redford's-noble-sacrifice star vehicle at Redford's behest. Due to the diminishing power of movie stars nowadays, at least that is a thing of the past.

Readily entertaining "men at tit-for-tat war" prison flick, with the most uplifting topless rock hauling sequence in the history of film.