John

Odds of a 4K UHD LOTR trilogy release?

Also will they finally reissue the extra documentaries from the limited EEs in a normal set? Were they in the big wooden shelf set?

The Fellowship of the Ring looked one way in the theaters, and on the initial DVD of its theatrical cut.

While simultaneously working on TTT theatrical and FOTRE EE, PJ decided that he wanted to color-grade the entire film trilogy more aggressively than he had done for FOTR EE.  So all versions of TTT and ROTK are pretty heavily color-graded, and so is the EE of FOTR.

Here are some comparisons

Good for those people who do 4K.  My final wish for LOTR is that Movies Anywhere or any of the other digital services had the entirety of the special features digitally, instead of just bits and pieces.  Then I'd never need to think about popping those Blu-rays out again

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Fellowship of the Ring looked one way in the theaters, and on the initial DVD of its theatrical cut. 

While simultaneously working on TTT theatrical and FOTRE EE, PJ decided that he wanted to color-grade the entire film trilogy more aggressively than he had done for FOTR EE.  So all versions of TTT and ROTK are pretty heavily color-graded, and so is the EE of FOTR.

Interesting, so is there a "correct" or "preferred" version generally? First time I'm hearing of this somehow. I've only ever really lseen the EEs though (except ROTK TE in theaters).

Most people prefer how FOTR looked in theaters than the green tinted EE. 

FOR TTT and ROTK we have no comparison because they were already color-graded in their TEs, apart from the oldest teasers and trailers with TTT and ROTK footage in them

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Most people prefer how FOTR looked in theaters than the green tinted EE. 

FOR TTT and ROTK we have no comparison because they were already color-graded in their TEs, apart from the oldest teasers and trailers with TTT and ROTK footage in them

Was FOTR EE tinted to look like TTT and ROTK? Sorry if you explained all this. It's Monday morning where I'm at.

3 minutes ago, Gollum Cat said:

Was FOTR EE tinted to look like TTT and ROTK? Sorry if you explained all this. It's Monday morning where I'm at.

FOTR is mostly tinted green, TTT is mostly tinted blue, and ROTK is mostly tinted red

35 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Seeing them side by side, I'd certainly pick the theatrical version - but it's not something I ever notice when just watching the EE.

I would never have known it was a thing until the internet told me. Even now I don’t think I really care. 

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Also will they finally reissue the extra documentaries from the limited EEs in a normal set? Were they in the big wooden shelf set?

What do you mean? The Costa Boates (sp?) were released with the last BluRay set along with all the Appendices. 

The stuff from the original theatrical releases is all in standard def anyway and available cheaply so there’s no need to increase the price by adding additional discs.

Hopefully there might be some new stuff. 

Yes when LOTR premiered on blu, they came packaged with all the special features that had been on all the DVD sets.

In fact, they were even literally the same DVDs as the old sets.  They didn't make new BD discs or HD transfers for them or anything

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

They didn't make new BD discs or HD transfers for them or anything

The material in the extras was shot on SD, so there's no point in doing an HD transfer or using a Bluray for them.

As for the green tint in Fellowship of the Ring, its really not that bad, but I do hope they tone it down. In general, a more naturalistic look fits UHD better.

No doubt this is building up on Amazon (and New Line's) TV series. Can't wait.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The material in the extras was shot on SD, so there's no point in [...] using a Bluray for them.

Since Blu ray discs can hold SD content, I would argue that instead of putting 9 DVD discs in the box set containing the special features, they could have included 2 Blu Ray discs that held the same content instead.

9 minutes ago, Evanus said:

Good, hopefully they'll find a way to release the Hobbit in HFR. 

At the moment I'm more interested in aspect ratio.

Will we ever get to see The Hobbit composed for 2:1, as it was for IMAX?

It requires less letterboxing of the image on a 16:9 TV. Plus, I’d be interesting to appreciate how some of the shots were composed for the taller aspect ratio.

I suppose the filmmakers considered the 2.41:1 the better composed of the two frames.

Wasn't the color problem with the FotR EE only present on the Blu-ray? I remember that looking strikingly off, while the EE DVD looks the same as the TC.

That said, I went to a cinema last year where they screened the Extended Editions off a DCP and FotR had the correct colors. So there should be a proper hi-res version out there. I hope they use it for the new discs.

Also, now would be the time to finally release those Ultimate Edition bonus materials they held back on all those years ago!