Will you purchase LLL's Saving Private Ryan 20th Anniversary limited edition?

Josh500

Will you purchase LLL's Saving Private Ryan 20th Anniversary limited edition?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Will you purchase LLL's Saving Private Ryan 20th Anniversary limited edition?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/18 at 03:00 PM

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Every one improved on the last one...but this score would not have more music nor any outstanding sound improvement. And I hate double dipping anyways...

Well, the next one (always assuming there is a next one) would no doubt have some slight improvement, otherwise it'd be just a straight reissue.

But anyway, actually I'm pretty confident that this edition will be the ultimate and final edition.

14 hours ago, Josh500 said:

For me it's those three, and "The Last Battle."

These 4 tracks are mind-blowingly and spectacularly good, on the same level as, or even at certain moments better than, Born on the Fourth of July, A.I., Angela's Ashes, Amistad, Lincoln, Munich, and Far and Away. 

Hmmm, I will revisit The Last Battle. On my last listen I didn't feel any other tracks were essential to rounding out the listening experience although some other tracks to touch on different emotions not included in the 3 I prefer. Revisiting Normandy is an all-time great album opener, after moving Hymn to the Fallen to the back.

3 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Hmmm, I will revisit The Last Battle. On my last listen I didn't feel any other tracks were essential to rounding out the listening experience although some other tracks to touch on different emotions not included in the 3 I prefer. Revisiting Normandy is an all-time great album opener, after moving Hymn to the Fallen to the back.

I agree that "Revisiting Normandy" is fantastic. And "The Last Battle" is basically the continuation of the former. If you think about it, the entire bookending scene at the current-day Normandy cemetery is scored, and it's basically one big, heart-stirring, sweeping concert piece.

Also, in "The Last Battle, what stands out is the death of Captain Miller. Along with the heavenly and somehow hypnotic "Omaha Beach theme," it's in my opinion the single most gut-wrenching and heartwarming moment of the entire score. The sinking clarinets and the mourning French horns are reminiscent of the most touching moments of War Horse.

Watch the ending carefully again.... It took me a while to "discover" this myself, but this is really JW (and Spielberg) in top form, and it gets me every time. 

Music starts at around 2:05, and the death scene is at around 3:50. Also, the transition moment at 6:00 is elegantly scored with warm strings--another favourite moment of mine.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

But...but...its not complete and chronological!

What makes you think the new edition won't be complete?

Probably not. Hymn to the Fallen always moves me. The Coplandesque intervals that open and close it are perfect, and along with the choral climax it feels like some of JW's most candid writing. The "brass break" is so "JW in Boston" for the ages. Even though not a full expansion or remastering, the news of this release will at least have me giving the rest of the OST a proper second chance after 20 yrs.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, Josh500 said:

Come on, guys! 

Just to support LLL! How much will this set cost anyway? Probably just 19,99!

All I got is tree fiddy.

4 hours ago, The Five Tones said:

Probably not. Hymn to the Fallen always moves me. The Coplandesque intervals that open and close it are perfect, and along with the choral climax it feels like some of JW's most candid writing. The "brass break" is so "JW in Boston" for the ages. Even though not a full expansion or remastering, the news of this release will at least have me giving the rest of the OST a proper second chance after 20 yrs.

Hymn is nice but it gets OTT towards the end with the choir. I used to like bits of the rest of the score such as Omaha Beach but I never connect with JW's long drawn out dramatic pieces (usually his finale tracks). That's not just a JW thing - I have the same issue with Horner's 10 minute tracks.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

Hymn is nice but it gets OTT towards the end with the choir. I used to like bits of the rest of the score such as Omaha Beach but I never connect with JW's long drawn out dramatic pieces (usually his finale tracks). That's not just a JW thing - I have the same issue with Horner's 10 minute tracks.

What about the final tracks of the Braveheart OST?

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

They're some of his more enjoyable ones, certainly. The main offender that comes to mind is A Beautiful Mind. It just goes on. Forever.

A Beautiful Mind. 

I actually own that score and have never listened to it so far. I should. 

• 4 weeks later...