Oscars Won’t Televise All Awards, Adds Popular Film Category

Koray Savas

So a very good "popular" movie will be permanently prevented from winning outright?  It is dejure now?

Sometimes the best movie of the year is not the most "artistic."  

I think it's all to get viewers, which I'm sure they want.  I don't have a lot of stakes, because I don't watch the Oscars much anymore.

When I do, I'll miss some of those "smaller" categories - their winners seemed more meaningful and winners' speeches were usually more exciting than seeing ol' celebrities holding trophies.

I think the new category is dumb, especially since they expanded the best picture category and "popular" pictures frequently get nominations.  Hell, even before that Titanic and Return of the King won best picture.  Sounds like an MTV Movie Awards thing.

Just now, mstrox said:

When I do, I'll miss some of those "smaller" categories - their winners seemed more meaningful and winners' speeches were usually more exciting than seeing ol' celebrities holding trophies.

Yes!

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I think the new category is dumb, especially since they expanded the best picture category and "popular" pictures frequently get nominations

But they never win. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

We won't even get to see Williams win his career capping Oscar for Star Wars Episode IX

:(

I'm more furious about this bullshit the more I think about it.

That new category especially, which makes NO sense.  So if this category had been there in 2003, would Return of the King been eligible for best "popular" film but not Best Picture?  I really don't get it.

And what about something like The King's Speech?  It's a traditional prestige-y film, but that movie made a truckload of money.  Does making money make you ineligible for BP????  I just don't get it!

I would bet that eligibility for "popular film" won't affect eligibility for "Best Picture"

I'd also bet that there will be a People's Choice (non Academy) component - either in the nominations, the winner, or both.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I would bet that eligibility for "popular film" won't affect eligibility for "unpopular film."

I'd also bet that there will be a People's Choice (non Academy) component - either in the nominations, the winner, or both.

I can't wait for them to announce Zendaya as the host and Selena Gomez to present Best Adorkable Performance

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I would bet that eligibility for "popular film" won't affect eligibility for "unpopular film."

And yet we've seen from reading the "Honest Oscar Ballots" that the Hollywood Reporter publishes every year that many voters are too self-absorbed to be fair about these things. Most likely, voters will see that there's no need to vote a certain film for Best Picture if they think it is likely to take home the Best Popular Film award.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Best Wig.

Doritos Presents OMG It's the Oscarz!!!!  Yolo!!  Brought to you by fidget spinners

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

not sure why I typed "unpopular film" there, so I edited above you, stu

Except that's basically what they've turned traditional Best Picture into!

As someone who genuinely loves that "mid-budget middlebrow studio financed prestige picture" category of films (think Focus Features, Sony Pictures Classics, etc.) this is so disappointing.  The Oscars is basically the only thing that motivates the big studios to finance those.

3 minutes ago, MusicPerson13 said:

And yet we've seen from reading the "Honest Oscar Ballots" that the Hollywood Reporter publishes every year that many voters are too self-absorbed to be fair about these things. Most likely, voters will see that there's no need to vote a certain film for Best Picture if they think it is likely to take home the Best Popular Film award.

To be fair, I'm sure the Hollywood Reporter looks for the most inflammatory, reactionary people for those.  All bout dem clicks.

And the voting membership of the Academy is kind of a questionmark right now with all the new members that have come in.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

To be fair, I'm sure the Hollywood Reporter looks for the most inflammatory, reactionary people for those.  All bout dem clicks.

And the voting membership of the Academy is kind of a questionmark right now with all the new members that have come in.

You've got a point there. Two points, rather.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I would have voted for this to win Best Short Film in 1987

The new category should just be called Best Marvel Picture.  It was clearly created so they could give Black Panther an Oscar.

EDIT: lol a better version of my above joke

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

The thoughts of something like Avengers 4 winning best popular film. Grim.

Hey, Infinity War was great!

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

So ratings are down?  Huh.

I don't know. Maybe telling the ulta-priveldged people accepting and receiving the awards to lay off the sanctimonious, hypocritical speeches during what's suppose to be an entertaining awards show about celebrating cinema might be a good idea also

Hollywood hacks demand higher taxes and better health insurance premiums for low income brackets!

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Woah, that's a lot of posts for one thread to get on a single lunch break

Who said said I was at lunch?

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

About F***ING Time. I really dont give a shit about some Documentary filmmaker's plight in Humanizthan and his country's dwindling purple martin population because of some blight in his nations supply of giant goards.

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Absolutely rubbish move from the Academy.

You are 100 % wrong.

Movies are supposed to be accessible to people. But lately elitest snobs and too many millennial voters have turned the Oscars into a love fest for bizzare films that are instantly forgettable. No way films like TiTanic and Return of the King would win in the current climate without a change. The best part is all the people bitching do not know what the hell for. I'm sure there is thought being put forth on how make it work. Tweaking will be necessary no doubt. This is a long time coming. Popular doesn't mean its not the best. JAWS and ET were certainly deserving of best and both were most popular.

There's an easier way to solve this than creating a new category.

Just create a new rule that no film can be nominated for best picture unless it grosses at least 100 mil USD (domestic).  Bob's yer uncle, you guarantee a popular film wins the top award.

Academy, you're welcome.

Well, at least it will give Cannes an extra boost (and all the other film festivals), you know awards that actually award the films for quality! The Oscars are basically performing Harakiri with this decision, and they will no doubt feel the consequences in the years to come. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it back at some point.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, at least it will give Cannes an extra boost (and all the other film festivals), you know awards that actually award the films for quality!

That is what this is doing.  The supposed films of "lesser quality"  will just be given a participation trophy that leaves the top spot open to the kind of films that are generally viewed as higher art.

The Palme d’Or has a wildly inconsistent track record with me.  Lot of dull shit wins it.  Lot of great films too of course.

Besides there’s nothing wrong with the Oscars being for awarding the more middlebrow fare.  Everybody has their role.