Oscars Won’t Televise All Awards, Adds Popular Film Category

Koray Savas

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

We don't have cable or TV service, and we never watch TV live so the antenna would be a waste of money for us.  We have Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, and Netflix, and everything we watch from network or cable comes on to them either the day after they air (Hulu) or at the end of the season (Netflix/Amazon).

How do you like Hulu Plus? Are most of the US network shows on there, and are recent episodes available for streaming?

I'm the UK, but I'm trying to help a friend in America cut the cord.  I was also looking at YouTube TV.

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

How do you like Hulu Plus? Are most of the US network shows on there, and are recent episodes available for streaming?

I'm the UK, but I'm trying to help a friend in America cut the cord.  I was also looking at YouTube TV.

Hulu Plus gets episodes from, I believe, all FOX, NBC, and ABC shows the next day.  They also get a lot of shows similar to Netflix (full seasons all at once, a few months after they stop airing) from cable networks like Comedy Central and FX.

CBS shows do not go to streaming services - if you want CBS shows you have to subscribe to their All Access streaming app, or buy specific shows ala carte on Amazon/iTunes/Vudu/etc.

I don't know if CW (barely network) episodes go somewhere shortly after airing, but they all pop up almost immediately on Netflix after a season airs.

14 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Plus for a long time he was an Ayn Rand acolyte and hard core libertarian! (though apparently he's mellowed with age).

"hardcore libertarian", "resentful nerd" potayto potahto ;) 

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

We haven't had cable since 2012 but we have a nice antennae that picks up tons of local HD broadcasts

I'm so far away from the broadcast centers that my house would have to be at a higher physical elevation than it is now to pick up any channels.  At my last house we could pick up just the local ABC and only in the upstairs bedroom, that kinda thing.

One of the better ideas I've read:

https://news.avclub.com/1828229431

But the criteria I’d establish would be something more along the lines of “Best Picture - Studio Production” and “Best Picture - Independent Production.”  Since Studio pictures tend to be the more mainstream, commercial fare, and Independent films more artistically driven, you’d be able to fulfill the spirit of the intent behind this new award, namely to recognize more mainstream popular films, while also establishing a criterion by which the two awards are more or less on equal footing, unlike the “Best Popular Film” which is clearly set up to be secondary to Best Picture.  

Another commenter talks about considering streaming-only films. Isn't there a rule that a film has to show on X number of cinema screens for X days before such a date to be eligible? (That's why The Post was rushed wasn't it) Very arbitrary and archaic rule.

I understand the Academy's hostility towards streaming...cinema is their lifeblood. And there's something to be said for the studios wanting to support the cinemas themselves.

But I'm not one to talk. I see no more than one or two movies in the cinema a year.

I watched the ceremony live when the BBC broadcast it. I don't remember when they lost the rights (Sky shows it now) but I haven't watched it live for at least 5 years.

Although that also coincided with working with a film buff who preached a lot about seeing art house films and to an extent put me off critics and their views. Hence not really caring about what the academy thinks is 'best' any more.

Now I basically just read the headlines and move on.

14 hours ago, Wojism said:

I don't think I've watched the Oscars since Titanic. The last two Best Picture winners I've seen are No Country for Old Men and The Hobbit: Part 6.

Spotlight and Argo were pretty good

If they really want to boost ratings, they need to drop all the politic talk from the hosts and celebrities during the award shows.  That's the main complaint I hear about not only the Oscars but other award shows that are slipping in ratings.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

James Horner's plane crash was more entertaining than the Oscars in any length.

I am trying to imagine an actual human being typing these words that you just posted.

• 4 weeks later...