James Newton Howard's THE NUTCRACKER AND THE FOUR REALMS (2018)

Jay

43 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He's a famous name! And he knows JW!

He is a rather famous name in classical music. The fact that he knows Williams doesn’t make him famous lol

It’s a movie based on one of the most famous and popular pieces of classical music in history,  the story is presumably heavily built around the score, and it is conducted by probably the most famous current director of a major orchestra in America.  Makes sense to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They do not want to turn tha masses off with weird stuff like Pyotr or Ilyich on the front cover.

How many Tschaikovskys do you guys know anyway?

I was more taken by Lang Lang, He shot me down.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Anyone has got any clue why I should care about this movie?

Other than JNH's involvement, that is...?

Same reason I'm supposed to care about First Man, I guess.

I assume they have a Solo/JW/Powell type arrangement, where Tchaikovsky wrote all the main themes for JNH to adapt, plus some incidental cues like 'The Big Nut,' 'Grabbing the Tissues,' and 'The Shower.'

I'm really excited to hear that score!

James Newton Howard being my favourite movie composer and Tchaïkovski one of my favourite romantic composers! 

I found Maleficent surprisingly enjoyable, like it wasn't good but the mega-budget fairytale aesthetic was pleasing to watch.  I'm hoping I can get the same enjoyment out of this.  If I was still a teenager I'd definitely go see this movie stoned.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I found Maleficent surprisingly enjoyable, like it wasn't good but the mega-budget fairytale aesthetic was pleasing to watch.  I'm hoping I can get the same enjoyment out of this.  If I was still a teenager I'd definitely go see this movie stoned.

What did you think about the score on its own? The movie might not be good, but I definitely think the score is great!

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

It's been forever since I last played any JNH, but Maleficent was my favorite of his.

Did you listen to his score for King Kong? I think it's another really good one!

• 2 weeks later...

Some gorgeous melodies. His use of Woodwind just gets better and better. 

I'm not enormously familiar with Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, only the well known melodies, so I'm not sure which moments are adapted by JNH or entirely original. Some things are obviously JNH.

0:14 reminds me of Last Crusade. :)

Can anyone tell me if this theme from 2:28 - 3:10 is from Tchaikovsky or not? It sounds like JNH but also sounds towards classical.