Han Solo and the Princess: Original vs Revised Version

King Mark

Which Version do you prefer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which Version do you prefer?

• Original Version (as heard on TESB Gerhart c.d.)
    • Revised Version (as played by Williams in concerts this year)
    • Both Equal

The new one, especially as it was performed in Glasgow.

The way Williams integrates the melody with some of his more recent sensibilities is absolutely wonderful to me.

The new version plays around a little more, elaborates on old ideas, and offers a more original orchestration. 

But I think nothing beats the original. Both are fantastic pieces, but the original is just a classic, still the best version.

Just now, Pellaeon said:

The 1980 is the definitive concert piece on the theme of these characters’ romance in ESB. It IS “Han Solo and the Princess from The Empire Strikes Back.

The 2018 is a wistful, thoughtful, grand piece exploring (Leia contemplating?) the vast sweep of the characters’ history together — their ESB romance, the tragedy of their son and their estrangement, their reuniting, and Han’s death. Also, on a meta level, Carrie Fisher’s death. So to me it’s more a sequel to the original than an “arrangement.”

Exactly how I feel

5 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

The 2018 is a wistful, thoughtful, grand piece exploring (Leia contemplating?) the vast sweep of the characters’ history together — their ESB romance, the tragedy of their son and their estrangement, their reuniting, and Han’s death. Also, on a meta level, Carrie Fisher’s death. So to me it’s more a sequel to the original than an “arrangement.”

This.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

I love them both for different reasons

1980 version:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." :(

I've never heard the original version so I prefer the new version by default.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." :(

I've never heard the original version so I prefer the new version by default.

just type Han solo and the Princess in You tube and you'll get a bunch of videos

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I love guitar music.

Funny you should mention that.

As we all know, in the earlier days of the internet it was very common to see sites mixing up JW the composer and JW the guitarist due to bad categorization/tagging.  I haven't seen much of it in years, but just today I was looking at my Youtube home page and saw this!

image.png

Like how the original Han Solo and The Princess weaves in a beautiful quote of Leia's Theme, I think it would be great fun if JW went back to that original composition and worked in a quote of Han's new theme(s) as well. 

After listening to both, I vote the revised version. There's something more wistful, melancholic and ruminative about it, a more thought-provoking interpretation of the theme. 

But I love the interpretation of each piece reflecting the time in which they were made, and both pieces reflect the state of their relationship at the time. Clearly their love has resulted in great tragedy and untold suffering, and the revised version reflects that perfectly. 

1 hour ago, aescalle said:

The Han Solo and the Princess rendition last night from Tanglewood was incredible!

Yeah it's beautiful, but it still elongate the final crescendo a little bit too long for me.

On 8/10/2018 at 6:02 PM, Disco Stu said:

Funny you should mention that.

As we all know, in the earlier days of the internet it was very common to see sites mixing up JW the composer and JW the guitarist due to bad categorization/tagging. 

I even had an officially-released CD with a selection of classical pieces from some catalogue of recordings, which included stuff like the opening chorus of Carmina Burana, some symphony movements and similar material, and closed with the Raiders' March (the only film cue in the CD). In the booklet, matching the name of John Williams, there was the guitarist's photo! This was a few years pre-internet. I had no other sources and no reason to suspect a mistake, so for several years I associated in my mind the composer with a wrong picture. It was quite funny when I saw the Star Wars interview a few years later.