Which three living directors you would most like to see Williams compose a score for?

Lewya

You are allowed to mention two honorable mentions if you want.

My top 3:

James Cameron (Avatar sequels)
Peter Jackson (anything)
Martin Scorsese (anything)

2 honorable mentions for a top 5 would be:

Christopher Nolan (anything)
Terrence Malick (anything)

Which three directors would you most like to see Williams compose a score for?

Christopher Nolan for sure.  

Peter Jackson would be interesting.

As for a third, hmm.  How about Wes Anderson?  Would be quite intriguing to see what Williams would do for that assignment.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

James Cameron 

Oliver Stone (another one!)

A James Bond movie.

Indeed...I'd love to see him do another Stone. I love all three Stone scores.

But Wes Anderson? Please, no. Let him have his quirk with Desplat and company and leave Williams out of it.

On a more realistic note, I seriously doubt we'll ever see another BOOK THIEF-type assignment that comes out of left field and that isn't STAR WARS- or Spielberg-related in the remaining years of his career.

James Cameron - very well-matched to Williams' dramatic instincts

Peter Jackson - see above

Martin Scorsese - I'd love to see Williams score a Gangs of New York-esque drama from him, or even something more along the lines of Silence  

Williams would quit composing if he ever had to work with James Cameron. 

He's clearly held in very high esteem though. There were persistent rumours about Williams scoring Avatar so who knows what happened there and why Cameron never sought him out. Maybe he did and was turned down? 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Williams would quit composing if he ever had to work with James Cameron. 

He's clearly held in very high esteem though. There were persistent rumours about Williams scoring Avatar so who knows what happened there and why Cameron never sought him out. Maybe he did and was turned down? 

What rumors?

I also wish Robert Altman was still alive, because then I'd choose him. But I'd love to see him branch out for a similarly cutting-edge director that is still alive. Now the question is -- who is the "Robert Altman" of today? Paul Thomas Anderson?

Paul Thomas Anderson

Guillermo del Toro

Terence Malick

And I would also like to have another Williams/De Palma collaboration. Tim Burton score would be cool too. And Villeneuve too, why not.

Karol

I would love to see

1) The Coen Brothers do a full on horror movie ... Music by John Williams

2) Wes Anderson do a classic but quirky western (Bill Murray as the sheriff) ... Music by John Williams

3) Quentin Tarantino do a picture set in medieval times ... Music by John Williams

14 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Denis Villeneuve

I'm surprised to see his name mentioned in this thread.  I can't think of a director less suited to Williams other than Fincher maybe.  His films feature a very cynical world view and very understated scoring.  

Totally agree about Del Toro and Ghibli though (though it Hiashi is pretty hard to replace, even with Williams)

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I'm surprised to see his name mentioned in this thread.  I can't think of a director less suited to Williams other than Fincher maybe.  His films feature a very cynical world view and very understated scoring.  

I like to see Johnny out of his comfort zone every now and then.

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Totally agree about Del Toro and Ghibli though (though it Hiashi is pretty hard to replace, even with Williams)

Doesn't have to be a Hisaishi replacement though, practically any Japanese animated movie will do. They seem to really like swelling orchestral scores. Imagine Johnny scoring something like Violet Evergarden...

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Nolan just so we can dispel the delusion of his considerable fan base that his other films have good music.

Do you ever not post pretentiously?  At least you're not gkgyver, I guess.

8 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Doesn't have to be a Hisaishi replacement though, practically any Japanese animated movie will do. They seem to really like swelling orchestral scores. Imagine Johnny scoring something like Violet Evergarden...

Now that I could get onboard with.  I've been on an Anime kick lately and the music is consistently impressive, much moreso than most modern film music and much MUCH moreso than most (all) modern TV music.  Anime isn't afraid of getting super emotional or having a prominent score. 

Three not mentioned: The Wachowskis, Spike Jonze, Ridley Scott

Peter Jackson, James Cameron obviously. Tintin 2 would have been fun, not sure that'll happen with or without Johnny.

I feel like Williams would actually work pretty well with George Clooney. Wouldn't be the most unpredictable thing in the world but he's pretty old-school and gets good scores.

The Coens, depending on the project. John Williams on Hail Caesar! would have been great.

Always down for reunions with Cuaron, Stone, DePalma, Annaud. Columbus too (come onnnn Five Nights at Freddy's!!!)

Oh Mel Gibson too