The Silmarillion

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Brummie actor Martin Shaw reads this, and despite his occasionally questionable pronounciation of certain names, (he pronounces Ilúvatar in a way I would have never considered, and its ICEngard, not Is-engard) he certainly has the dramatic panache for the material. I actually think he did a great job.

I admit to liking the overly dramatic music that opens and closes each section. 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Christopher Tolkien regretted some of his editorial choices apparently, but never attempted to redo to book, which I think is unfortunate. After decades of going though his dad's notes...who knows.

It has been redone, in a manner of speaking, twice. The History of Middle-earth presents all his father’s original ‘Silmarillion’ texts untampered-with. And The Children of Húrin is an attempt at providing an alternative entry point into the legendarium. So at this point it’s basically all out there, and there’s nothing left to wish for, really, other than more (attractive) repackagings like what we’re getting with The Fall of Gondolin.

39 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That's not quite the same thing as a redone The Silmarillion though.

Who would accept a redone Silmarillion, though, at this point? What purpose would it serve? Now we have the father’s actual texts, everything else is fanfic.

1 minute ago, Falafel said:

Didn't he have a writer assist him in extrapolating a new ending of the Hurin story?

No, and I can’t guess what you’re thinking of.

48 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Who would accept a redone Silmarillion, though, at this point? What purpose would it serve? Now we have the father’s actual texts, everything else is fanfic.

No, and I can’t guess what you’re thinking of.

A scholarly text dissecting a persons writings is a completely different thing than a novel. Even released posthumously. Why should i spend time on Christopher Tolkien countless History Of Middle-earth writings while I could have had a revised Silmarillion instead?

51 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A scholarly text dissecting a persons writings is a completely different thing than a novel.

Oh, I don’t see it the same way. It’s more like a Complete Recordings with liner notes. You can just listen to the treasure trove of music, and easily ignore the liner notes. But, I’ve admittedly been obsessed with the HoMe series since the early 90s (The Book of Lost Tales is my favorite book of all time), so, perhaps I lack perspective. I’ve always been very frustrated that people dismiss HoMe as “notes,” so, if repackaging them into something more recognizable as novels can get them a wider audience, I guess I’m all for it.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

A scholarly text dissecting a persons writings is a completely different thing than a novel. Even released posthumously. Why should i spend time on Christopher Tolkien countless History Of Middle-earth writings while I could have had a revised Silmarillion instead?

No Tevildo prince of Cats for one ;)

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Its slightly low rent, if you're used to film music played by an actual orchestra.....but still

Can't be as bad as those old pipe intros outros on the Hobbit tapes.

The Ted Nasmith edition is, like the Alan Lee edition of LOTR, beautiful. But also like the Lee edition, it's for flipping through, admiring the art, and then displaying on your shelf.

By all means, get it. But also get yourself a nice paperback if you want to actually read it.

What? Paperbacks bend, tear, break and all that. A nice sturdy hardcover is always nicer if you want to read something more than once.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Never mind Nick - he's old and frail so he prefers paperbacks.

Actually I use a Kindle, Grandpa.

Not being much of a reader, I know you have no use for one!

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

What? Paperbacks bend, tear, break and all that. A nice sturdy hardcover is always nicer if you want to read something more than once.

Very true. But books like the Nasmith Silmarillion (which isn't a standard sized hardcover) aren't really designed for comfortable reading...it's oversized, glossy, has a slip cover you don't want to damage, and is better suited for skimming. Don't get me wrong it's beautiful which I is why I bought it....but it's not for reading (at least not how I read books).  

Oh, here the Nasmith Silmarillion hardcover is the same size as all other Tolkiens except HoME which is a different publisher and paperback only, I guess because of the already high enough costs and relatively low expected profits.

Thinking about how if you'd buy a book in paperback, you might as well just buy it as an ebook, I finally installed KIndle on my tablet. Will have to be careful not to get caried away with 1-click ordering and instant arrival, though.

50 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh, here the Nasmith Silmarillion hardcover is the same size as all other Tolkiens except HoME which is a different publisher and paperback only, I guess because of the already high enough costs and relatively low expected profits.

Thinking about how if you'd buy a book in paperback, you might as well just buy it as an ebook, I finally installed KIndle on my tablet. Will have to be careful not to get caried away with 1-click ordering and instant arrival, though.

Yeah. I've always been one to love displaying all my books on a gigantic wall shelf, but then when I lived in a country for a while that had no English language book store (or even Amazon store), I learned to love the Kindle. I get and share the love of the feel of an actual book in my hand, but for convenience sake (e.g. travel), the Kindle is awesome.

But Tolkien is special, of course, and I've got multiple editions lying around...some of which, like @Disco Stu I have quite a lot of affection for.

Though you're quite right, The History of Middle-Earth definitely deserves better than the dated paperback treatment its gotten thus far.

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

paperback movie tie in editions

Filthy Normie! Mainstream sellout!

This is a Tolkien shelf:

20180818_184039.jpg

Tales (contains Roverandom, Farmer Giles of Ham, Smith of Wootton Major and Leaf by Niggle), facsimile FE of the Hobbit, Beowulf, Nasmith Silmarillion, Children of Húrin, Lee Beren and Lúthien (I know it should be before CoH, sorry), new translation of Hobbit, slightly revised LotR, Unfinished Tales, Book of Lost Tales I-II.

And speaking of great unwieldy hardcovers, I do have great love for my B&N Leatherbound Complete Sherlock Holmes:

20180818_184108.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

The History of Middle-Earth definitely deserves better than the dated paperback treatment its gotten thus far.

I don't think the Hung versions will be reprinted in hardcover soon, they'll have to all come out first which will take years. But I do plan on someday getting the 3-colume English hardcover version if it'll still be in print. And get the deluxe/special English hardcovers to have the original text of everything.

But with all this Tolkien talk I just noticed Chen disappeared.

On 8/18/2018 at 7:53 PM, Nick1066 said:

Yeah, where is @Chen G.?  

On 8/18/2018 at 7:59 PM, Nick1066 said:

I hope he didn't let @Disco Stu bully him off the site!

Still here.

Been busy, is all, and probably will be for the near month or two. But still lurking.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:27 AM, Quintus said:

Can't be as bad as those old pipe intros outros on the Hobbit tapes.

Which ones are you referring to?

Hey, that Krumhorn sounds like the "bagpipe"-y thing from the Ironfoot rendition of the Extended Edition documentary credits music.

Makes sense, too: the ensemble which plays that (The Fellowship) uses the instrument.