RIP Aretha Franklin

I think it was my mom who introduced me to her, and I became a fan instantly. Huge loss! She had such a great voice, even up until her death, and a huge back catalog of hits spawning decades. They didn't call her the queen of soul for nothing, after all.

There's not really such a thing as album sales anymore. Artists get their income from performing these days. At least, that's what the artists themselves say.

51 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

There's not really such a thing as album sales anymore. Artists get their income from performing these days. At least, that's what the artists themselves say.

Don't people buy music at all anymore?

It's either free or they stream. Owning music is no longer important. Some bearded men with old-fashioned haircuts  still buy music on vinyl but their numbers are few. 

11 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's either free or they stream. Owning music is no longer important. Some bearded men with old-fashioned haircuts  still buy music on vinyl but their numbers are few. 

Vinyls are bigger than ever!

Speaking of Williams and Aretha, here's something you don't often see every day: John Williams and Aretha Franklin performing Alan Menken! (not Franklin's shining hour, perhaps, since it's a type of song that isn't really suited to her style, but it's not bad):

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Soul/funk of the 60s and 70s is one of my "home genres."  Music that I got super into in my teens, that I feel a real connection to on a deep level.

It was my mum's music, so I grew up on it.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

It was my mum's music, so I grew up on it.

Yes, my mom didn't play a lot of music growing up, but when she did it was always Motown.  Much poppier than Aretha's more gospel/blues sound, but still in the same ballpark.  I was predisposed to love her music.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Soul/funk of the 60s and 70s is one of my "home genres."  Music that I got super into in my teens, that I feel a real connection to on a deep level.

I'm generally more inclined to prefer Northern Soul.

33 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm generally more inclined to prefer Northern Soul.

I'm no expert but I've definitely heard some fantastic singles from that movement/style/whatever.  "Tainted Love" most obviously.  The original and the Soft Cell version.  Doesn't get more classic than both of them!

Here's Aretha in full on dirty blues mode and I love it.

Any known collaborations with John Williams? I saw a photo of them together...

At least a Boston Pops TV show together, no?

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Any known collaborations with John Williams? I saw a photo of them together...

At least a Boston Pops TV show together, no?

Scroll up Bespin.  @Pawel P. posted the Youtube videos of the show yesterday.