Crazy Rich Asians - Brian Tyler

Alex

Admittedly I haven’t really listened to that much Brian Tyler, but this certainly sounds very different to his usual sound. Very lush and romantic in some places, and sometimes harks back to the sound of golden age. I especially enjoy the jazz tracks “Text Ting Swing” and “Jubilee Bop”.

I posted (enthusiastically!) about this score in a different thread a few days ago:

Glad to hear someone else is enjoying this gem! 

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, never noticed that, but I can see the similarity. The dinosaurs are now invading Singapore. Who could have seen that coming? 

Also I really like the sneaky crime jazz that's heard throughout the score the most, particularly this bit. Makes me think there's a robbery / break-in, in process. 

10 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Lol, never noticed that, but I can see the similarity. The dinosaurs are now invading Singapore. Who could have seen that coming? 

Also I really like the sneaky crime jazz that's heard throughout the score the most, particularly this bit. Makes me think there's a robbery / break-in, in process. 

Well, I've seen the (very good) film, and I can tell you there is no robbery or break-in. :P But I agree - that piece is great! 

8 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

Another imitation game from Tyler :(

The love theme

equals

Bolt's theme

Hadn't realized there was that much similarity, but I don't particularly like Tyler's love theme melody anyway. It's pretty weak imho as the primary romantic theme. BUT I still love the score to bits because the orchestrations and variations of the theme (e.g. end of "Arrival in Singapore") are gorgeous, and the non-thematic parts are also top-notch (e.g. "Astrid and the Earrings"). 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The movie only dropped 5.7% in its 2nd weekend, which is nearly unheard of for a wide release.  Evidence of both very strong word of mouth and not much competition.

Its a delight.

Brokeback Mountain was a bad film trying to be about gays without the balls/testicles to make them like real gays instead it had semi-closeted bisexuals. Don't ask don't tell and for Gods sake don't label.

12 minutes ago, Will said:

In other news, how about that end credits song? :music:

I rarely listen to modern pop but this is pretty great. 

A pretty catchy song now I've listened to it apart from the film. Lyrics are nonsense of course, but the main beat and hook is nice. Not a huge fan of modern popular hip-hop music, but this is good. 

How great is "Astrid and the Earrings"? 😍

Was kinda disappointed Astrid didn't have more scenes because Tyler seems to have written what is (imho) his most romantic music for her character.