R.I.P. Neil Simon

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matthau and Burns in 'Sunshine Boys' are a hoot (on Odd Couple level). 'The Goodbye Girl' and 'Biloxi Blues' are good. He was underrated, no Woody Allen, but underrated.

I don't think he was underrated. Simon was a greatly loved and revered playwright, is my understanding of him whenever I've heard mention of his name over the years. Personally, I always had a bit of soft spot for his Plaza Suite movie adaptation. Walter Matthau playing three different guests staying in one room over the weekend was always so effortlessly enjoyable to me, I must have watched it ten times.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

I don't think he was underrated.

In the sense that i have often read his name mentioned in a slightly condescending tone in contemporary reviews. 

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

I don't think he was underrated. Simon was a greatly loved and revered playwright, is my understanding of him whenever I've heard mention of his name over the years. Personally, I always had a bit of soft spot for his Plaza Suite movie adaptation. Walter Matthau playing three different guests staying in one room over the weekend was always so effortlessly enjoyable to me, I must have watched it ten times.

I watched PLAZA SUITE, at work, the other day. Like you, Lee, I've always liked it.

I also like BAREFOOT IN THE PARK, and THE GOODBYE GIRL.