Schindler's List returning to theaters for 25th anniversary

Jay

Cool.  Probably won't come near me though.  I will see it if it does, though.  I never turn down the opportunity to see a Spielberg film on the big screen, especially one I was too young for when it came out!

I first saw it in high school, literally IN highschool, they wheeled a tv on a cart into the classroom and we watched it over a period of 2 or 3 days... from a laserdisc, I think.

I remember when the multiplex opened in my small town, opening weekend instead of showing new movies they just played ET and Titanic all weekend.  It was glorious to finally see ET in a movie theater.

Schindler won't be glorious of course, but powerful is the right word Nick.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I remember when the multiplex opened in my small town, opening weekend instead of showing new movies they just played ET and Titanic all weekend.  It was glorious to finally see ET in a movie theater.

I skipped out on a class to watch a big screen TCM presentation of ET on its 30th anniversary, and earlier that year, I got to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade with an absolutely packed auditorium in Chicago. It's really hard to watch The Last Crusade after that, it was probably the most enjoyable moviegoing experience of my entire life. All of the humor still hit their marks big-time with everyone, and the dramatic moments had an added poignancy with the collective weight of the entire audience...I'm getting goosebumps right now remembering the tense silence of hundreds when Papa Jones get shot.

I saw a marathon of all 4 Indy films in the cinema in 2011.  That was cool.

Universal put the  trailer on youtube now

Full press release:

UNIVERSAL PICTURES COMMEMORATES 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF AMBLIN ENTERTAINMENT'S 'SCHINDLER'S LIST' WITH REMASTERED RE-RELEASE IN 4K AND DOLBY CINEMA ON DECEMBER 7, 2018

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., Aug. 29, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- To commemorate the 25th anniversary release of Steven Spielberg's masterpiece Schindler's List, one of the most significant endeavors in the history of cinema, Universal Pictures will re-release the film with picture and sound digitally remastered—including in 4K, Dolby Cinema and Dolby Atmos—for a limited theatrical engagement on December 7, 2018, in theaters across the United States and Canada.

On the heels of last year's re-release of James Cameron's Titanic in HDR, this event marks one of the very few times that a film of this magnitude and scope has been remastered in 4K, Dolby Cinema and Atmos.  It provides a stunning experience on the big screen, to match the power of the film and its significant themes.  This December, audiences can share the experience of a story we must never forget. 

"It is difficult to believe that it's been 25 years since Schindler's List first arrived in theaters," said Spielberg.  "The true stories of the magnitude and tragedy of the Holocaust are ones that must never be forgotten, and the film's lessons about the critical importance of countering hatred continue to reverberate today.  I am honored that audiences will be able to experience the journey once again on the big screen." 

"We are proud to bring the remastered Schindler's List, one of the most important movies of the 20th century, to a new generation of filmgoers," said Ron Meyer, Vice Chairman of NBCUniversal.  "The lesson that one person—during one of the darkest chapters in humankind's history—can make a difference is as relevant now as ever before."

In advance of the re-release, free educational screenings of the film—coordinated by USC Shoah Foundation—will be available for high-school educators and their students in selected AMC, Regal, Cinemark, Marcus Theatres, Cineplex, Harkins and National Amusements locations in major markets in North America on Tuesday, December 4, and Wednesday, December 5.

"As curators of the world's largest collection of firsthand accounts about the consequences of hatred, USC Shoah Foundation is uniquely positioned to educate and inspire humanity to counter hate through empathy and action," said Spielberg, who established the Shoah Foundation after his experiences filming Schindler's List.  "Those who engage with this eyewitness testimony make deeply meaningful connections, develop critical thinking and empathy, and learn to reflect on the choices they can make to counter hatred."

The top-20 markets that will host the special Schindler's List school screenings include those in Phoenix, AZ; Los Angeles, CA; Sacramento, CA; San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA; Denver, CO; Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Orlando, FL; Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL; Chicago, IL; Boston, MA; Cleveland, OH; New York City, NY; Philadelphia, PA; Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX; Washington, DC; Atlanta, GA; Houston, TX; Detroit, MI; Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN; and Seattle, WA.  Additional markets will be announced soon.

Additional elements of the launch include the new trailer, released today, as well as a forthcoming re-release of the iconic film score by five-time Academy Award®-winning composer John Williams—on the soundtrack from La-La Land Records—which will include never-before-heard material.  To further commemorate this historic film, the remastered version of Schindler's List will be re-released in theatres internationally across select territories in early 2019.  The remastered film will also be available in 4K HDR, Dolby Vision and Atmos on home-entertainment platforms subsequent to theatrical release.  

USC Shoah Foundation—under its Stronger Than Hate initiative—will work with partner organizations to provide classroom-ready resources through its award-winning educational website IWitness to accompany the theatrical and home entertainment releases of the film.

USC Shoah Foundation will partner with other educational organizations to scale the reach and impact of the Schindler's List re-release, utilizing their IWitness website as a central platform for educators to find resources.  Partners include: Facing History and Ourselves, which will publish a new digital Schindler's List Study Guide and offer related in-person and online professional learning opportunities; Echoes & Reflections, an education resource partnership with the ADL and Yad Vashem that offers teachers a variety of ways to examine critical themes of the Holocaust; and Discovery Education, the leading provider of digital content and professional development for K-12 classrooms—with services that are available in approximately half of U.S. classrooms, 50 percent of all primary schools in the U.K., and more than 50 countries around the globe.

USC Shoah Foundation builds and deploys groundbreaking, testimony-based programs, using its Visual History Archive® of more than 55,000 eyewitness testimonies to educate young people about the consequences of hatred, while giving actionable tools to teachers to combat hateful ideologies. 

To learn more about USC Shoah Foundation, Stronger Than Hate, free educational screenings in your area, and educational programs and partnerships around the re-release of the film, please visit sfi.usc.edu/schindlerslist.

For more information, please visit www.schindlerslist.com.  Broadcast-quality clips from Schindler's List are available at www.epk.tv, and stills are available at www.image.net.

About Schindler's List

Winner of seven Academy Awards®, including Best Picture and Best Director, this incredible true story follows the enigmatic Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson), who saved the lives of more than 1,100 Jews during the Holocaust.

It is the triumph of one man who made a difference and the drama of those who survived one of the darkest chapters in human history because of what he did.  Meticulously restored from the original film negative in pristine high definition and supervised by Spielberg, Schindler's List is a powerful story whose lessons of courage and faith continue to inspire generations.

The film also earned Oscars® for composer John Williams, screenwriter Steven Zaillian and director of photography Janusz Kaminiski, as well as art directors Allan Starski and Ewa Braun, editor Michael Kahn and producers Spielberg, Gerald R. Molen and Branko Lustig. 

About USC Shoah Foundation

USC Shoah Foundation—The Institute for Visual History and Educations develops empathy, understanding and respect through testimony, using its Visual History Archive of more than 55,000 video testimonies, award-winning IWitness education program, and Center for Advanced Genocide Research.  USC Shoah Foundation's interactive programming, research, and materials are accessed in museums and universities, cited by government leaders and NGOs, and taught in classrooms around the world.  Now in its third decade, USC Shoah Foundation reaches millions of people each year on six continents from its home at the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences at the University of Southern California.

About Stronger Than Hate

Stronger Than Hate is an umbrella platform of USC Shoah Foundation that serves as a broad, proactive, actionable response to the rising crises of hatred.  It reaches educators, students, policy makers, influencers, and the public at large via schools, universities, communities, and boardrooms, both virtually and in person, and around the world.  Stronger Than Hate focuses resources and leverages partnerships to strengthen and unify people against hate.  USC Shoah Foundation, as a global leader in testimony-driven, transformational learning, is uniquely positioned to impact an essential and growing audience in their struggle to become Stronger Than Hate.

About Universal Pictures

Universal Pictures is a division of Universal Studios (www.universalstudios.com).  Universal Studios is part of NBCUniversal.  NBCUniversal is one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.  NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group and world-renowned theme parks.  NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/universal-pictures-commemorates-25th-anniversary-of-amblin-entertainments-schindlers-list-with-remastered-re-release-in-4k-and-dolby-cinema-on-december-7-2018-300704221.html

A theatrical re-release again?  Neat.

I wonder if LLL will release a 2CD edition of just JP now that the 4CD JP/TLW box is sold out?

Oh man I can't go see this in cinema. I would be a sobbing mess by the finale. I remember seeing the film on TV a few years after it had come out and being an emotional wreck by the end, much thanks to the heart-wrenchingly beautiful score by the Maestro. It must have been one of the most emotional reactions to a movie back when I was a teenager.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

A theatrical re-release again?  Neat.

I wonder if LLL will release a 2CD edition of just JP now that the 4CD JP/TLW box is sold out?

That would be a nice thought. If they get a new license for just the first film, I wonder if they would press 3000 units or more.

It surprises me, however, that no major re-release was planned for Saving Private Ryan's 20th anniversary. I looked forward to revisiting that more

than the other two Spielberg titles, and yet, in my area, it was only screened in one theater on 6/6 (not even DCP, but in 35mm). I'm sad I missed it.

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am counting on it, since I missed out on the box!

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Oh man I can't go see this in cinema. I would be a sobbing mess by the finale. I remember seeing the film on TV a few years after it had come out and being an emotional wreck by the end, much thanks to the heart-wrenchingly beautiful score by the Maestro. It must have been one of the most emotional reactions to a movie back when I was a teenager.

There's no shame in crying in public!

Both Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes are just wonderful in this film, Neeson for his magnetic almost hypnotic charisma as Oscar Schindler, Fiennes for his performance of the psychopath coldness, vanity and greed of Amon Goeth. And who could forget the quiet but resolute warmth of Ben Kinsley's Itzhak Stern. And the rest of the cast follows suit.

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The only thing I've ever watched on laserdisc was in 7th grade life science class, a series called The Voyage of the Mimi from the 80s, starring a child Ben Affleck.

Graham Norton made Affleck revisit this a couple years ago lol

11 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Here's hoping that behind-the-scenes footage and deleted scenes are finally included on the 25th Anniversary Blu-ray

Those deleted scenes will never see the light of day. He's open minded about releasing deleted scenes from his more popcorn fare like Jaws, Close Encounters, ET, Hook, Lost World, but I don't think any of his historical dramas have ever included deleted scenes on home video.

Nor have the Indiana Jones films, despite being filled to the brim with deleted scenes! Grrr...

I don't know why, but the concept of "deleted scenes" for Schindler's List just feels wrong.  It's such a wholly realised work of art that I think seeing out of context deleted scenes would bother me and feel a bit trivial.  I'm not interested in seeing them.

Dunno, probably just my hangup.

11 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I don't know why, but the concept of "deleted scenes" for Schindler's List just feels wrong.  It's such a wholly realised work of art that I think seeing out of context deleted scenes would bother me and feel a bit trivial.  I'm not interested in seeing them.

I agree.

4 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Will it be in Dolby Atmos?

Yes, you can see the Dolby Atmos symbol right on the poster in the main post.

Dolby Atmos is also mentioned 3 times in the press releases posted a little bit later in the thread.

25 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I can agree with this sentiment as far as deleted scenes go.  But I do think it was a mistake not to include a single behind-the-scenes extra with the DVD.  I would love a true document of the making of that film.

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, you can see the Dolby Atmos symbol right on the poster in the main post.

That is a striking poster (despite the unfortunate tagline).  

Any poster that isn't floating heads and/or teal and orange and/or gives away the ending is above average by default and yea, this one is compositionally pretty nice

5 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Yeah why the hell does the world need it now more than ever, or at least, say 1993?

I knew you'd say something about that.  As soon as I read it yesterday.  Surprised it took you this long!