SCHINDLER'S LIST 25th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

6 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I'm still not sure that the versions of "OYF'N Pripetshok" and "Yeroushalain Chel Zahav" featured on the OST were arranged by JW--in the booklet both pieces are credited as performed by Israeli choirs conducted by other people. It's unclear if they were recorded purposefully for the album or were licensed from other recordings.

Yea, i have no idea either.  Since a lot of other source music recorded by Williams was in the session leak, but those were not, it's up in the air.

Heck, the booklet for Lincoln doesn't even credit Jim Taylor for "Race To The House" even though it's taken unchanged from one of his CDs (track 13 "Last of Sizemore" from The Civil War Collection)

Well, I'm sure they properly licensed the track from him - it's just weird they didn't credit him at all

Yea, but the point was that I thought that the Lincoln booklet didn't.

Hey!  Maybe the US booklet is different then the international booklet?  

Nah, I'm probably just going senile in my dotage.

But Townerfan was talking about the OST versions of "OYF'N Pripetshok" and "Yeroushalain Chel Zahav" - which we still aren't sure if they were recorded by Williams or not.

The Page 1 discussion was about the FILM versions of "OYF'N Pripetshok" and "Yeroushalain Chel Zahav" - those are the ones that are the same as the Billy Bathgate OST and Pour Sacha OST versions respectively.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yea, but the point was that I thought that the Lincoln booklet didn't.

Hey!  Maybe the US booklet is different then the international booklet?  

Nah, I'm probably just going senile in my dotage.

I remember the same credit; your powers are weakening, Jay. Before we know it, you won't even know how to use the JWFan search engine anymore!

6 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Are you sure about that Black Friday date, Jay? Google has it as the 23rd of November.

Perfect. Its my Birthday date! 

So now we have to agonize  for the 3 months wait period. But nevertheless it will be fun to wait and guess what other Williams goodies are going to come in between. Not just LLL but other labels?

This is indeed wonderful news!

Although SPR and Schindler's List are probably two scores that least need an expansion, it's still good news. 

I really hope SL will be 2 CDs, with the full score, along with alternates and some non-JW composed but JW conducted instrumental pieces. I especially love "Por Una Cabeza" and "In einem kleinen Café in Hernals." These two pieces are just mind-blowingly good and fitting. 

Wonderful and not unexpected news! Think we all predicted this in light of its anniversary. 

I'm guessing, with the confirmation of 2 CDs, it will follow the ET model:

• Chronological film score on disc 1 (how long is that exactly?)
  • Remastered OST on disc 2 (assembled from scratch using fresh scans of the scoring sessions)
  • Source music/alternates rounding out the second disc (utilising the 15 minutes of spare after the OST presentation).

Guessing the concert suites will be placed at the end of disc 1's film score presentation, if there's room.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

We always do the moment LLL titles go on sale.  Here is SPR.

Thanks Jay, but is that the best one out there? Seems a bit fuzzy on my phone. Since LLL changed their site the hires covers have disappeared.

14 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Thanks Jay, but is that the best one out there? Seems a bit fuzzy on my phone. Since LLL changed their site the hires covers have disappeared.

Disco Stu: "Another reason the new website sucks!"

Wow a 2-disc release. Sort of unexpected. But as few here have already speculated it will be the film score on disc 1 and OST and alternates and bonus material on disc 2. Or OST on disc 1 and a second disc full of the alternate material.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

I can't recall offhand if Williams has ever approved a choir-free version of a cue for a specialty label CD

There are choir-free versions of some Christmas songs from Home Alone and Home Alone 2 in the LLL releases. But I think the situation with Schindler's List is different. At least in the case of "Immolation", the choir really has the lead when it enters, and the orchestra provides the accompainment. If you remove the choir, you miss a very important part of the piece.

20 minutes ago, Score said:

There are choir-free versions of some Christmas songs from Home Alone and Home Alone 2 in the LLL releases. But I think the situation with Schindler's List is different. At least in the case of "Immolation", the choir really has the lead when it enters, and the orchestra provides the accompainment. If you remove the choir, you miss a very important part of the piece.

Well, for the Home Alone cues the choir voice was replaced by an instrument, so you're really comparing apples and oranges.

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, for the Home Alone cues the choir voice was replaced by an instrument, so you're really comparing apples and oranges.

I know. That's exactly what I meant when I said that the situation with Schindler's List is different. I was answering to the question "was there any case of JW approving choir-free versions of cues in specialty labels releases?".

I think JW would allow a choir/vocal-free version of any of his compositions to be released only in the case he recorded it purposefully as an alternate instrumental version (like he did for Duel of the Fates, or the A.I. Theme). I don't think the pieces in Schindler's List fall into this category, though.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

But Townerfan was talking about the OST versions of "OYF'N Pripetshok" and "Yeroushalain Chel Zahav" - which we still aren't sure if they were recorded by Williams or not.

Yes, sorry for the confusion, guys. I looked at the booklet of the OST, for those pieces it's credited like this:

"OYF'N Pripetshok", composed by Mark Warschafsky

Performed by the Li-Ron Herzeliya Children's Choir, Tel Aviv, Israel

Conducted by Ronit Shapira

"Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav"

Written by Naomi Shemer

Performed by The Ramat Gan Chamber Choir, Tel Aviv, Israel

Conducted by Hana Tzur

Safe to assume both pieces were recorded in Tel Aviv. It's unclear if they were done purposefully for the album, or if they were licensed off some previous recording (there's no copyright info in the booklet)

Also apparently the Toronto based Mendelssohn Choir performed choral passages for the score but this went uncredited.

In 1993, under the direction of American composer John Williams, the choir performed the choral passages for the soundtrack of Steven Spielberg’s Oscar-winning film Schindler’s List (1993

Miguel Andrade seemed to have deeper knowledge of the recording history of the score back in 2011. Also in another thread from this year.

Speaking of puzzling credit, I just saw that the OST booklet says that the score was recorded both in Symphony Hall Boston and at Sony Pictures Scoring Stage in Culver City, LA. I assumed the whole score was recorded in Boston (and choir in Toronto), but I didn't know about parts being recorded in LA.

As far as I know that's accurate; the 4CD leak was just the Boston recordings and none of the LA recordings, which is why it wasn't complete.

So does anyone know what running time this supposed "complete" cue list (including the source music Williams conducted) would translate into duration wise? The OST makes it tricky to calculate cue times with all the combined tracks.

SchindlersListCompleteInsideNew2.jpg

I really doubt Williams will be keen on those source cues being mixed into the film score program. They'll likely be relegated to the end of disc 2 (I don't think their duration would exceed the 15 minutes remaining on that disc, after the OST presentation?) leaving more room at the end of disc 1 for meaningful alternates or concert suites. Probably more the former, considering most of the concert suites are already included in the OST presentation (except for Recorder Theme, which seems like a prototype End Credits).

In other words, the same format Matessino used for his Jaws expansion.

Disc 1: Complete film score + alternates/miscellaneous extras

Disc 2: Original soundtrack presentation + source music

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So does anyone know what running time this supposed "complete" cue list (including the source music Williams conducted) would translate into duration wise? The OST makes it tricky to calculate cue times with all the combined tracks.

I don't have the fan edit you provided a screen shot of, but there's a million fan edits out there that all combine the leak with the OST in various different ways.  How long anyone's presentation is depends on what they include in the main program vs relegating to the bonus tracks, how much source music they include... and most importantly, how much material from all the alternate TAKES they decide to include as true alternates or not.

Here's the version I listen to, which I created by starting with a fan edit someone else made and then tweaking it:

MAIN PROGRAM:

01 The Money Exchange (7:37)
02 Recruiting (8:39)
03 The Luggage Scene (3:05)
04 Nacht Aktion (1:49)
05 The Perlman Family (1:16)
06 The Burial Scene (4:43)
07 Typing The List (5:10)
08 Say Your Name (2:19)
09 The Shower Scene (3:40)
10 The Returning Women (2:43)
11 I Could Have Saved More (5:52)
12 Placing The Stones (4:15)
13 End Credits (3:24)

TOTAL TIME - 54:32

CONCERT ARRANGEMENTS:
14 Journey To Krakow (Introduction And Theme) (4:40)
15 Remembrances (4:20)
16 Recorder Theme (2:11)
17 Remembrances (with Itzhak Perlman) (5:16)

TOTAL TIME - 16:27

GRAND TOTAL TIME - 1:10:59

ALTERNATES:
18 The Money Exchange (Alternate) (3:34)
19 The Luggage Scene (Without Choir) (3:05)
20 Nacht Aktion (Alternate) (1:51)
21 The Perlman Family (Alternate) (1:21)
22 The Burial Scene (Without Choir) (4:40)
23 I Could Have Saved More (Unused Insert) (2:35)
24 I Could Have Saved More (Film Version Insert with sound effects) (5:53)
25 Remembrances (With Flute Solo) (4:30)

TOTAL TIME - 27:29

SOURCE MUSIC:
26 Por Una Cabeza (3:45)
27 Vida Mia (2:47)
28 Jealousy (1:08)
29 Marching Drum Beat (0:50)
30 Gloomy Sunday (0:28)
31 Deine Augen Sind Dein Herz (2:03)
32 In Einem Kleinen Cafe In Hernals (1:33)
33 OFY'N Pripetshok (1:06)
34 Milosc Ci Wszystko Wybaczy (3:32)
35 Yeroushalem Chel Zavah (2:17)
TOTAL TIME - 19:29

FINAL GRAND TOTAL TIME - 1:57:57

That tracklist is a great resource, thanks @Jay! If I had to speculate on how Matessino would make all that fit into a 2CD assembly (including the OST on disc 2), I'd guess:

DISC 1

MAIN PROGRAM:

01 The Money Exchange (7:37)
02 Recruiting (8:39)
03 The Luggage Scene (3:05)
04 Nacht Aktion (1:49)
05 The Perlman Family (1:16)
06 The Burial Scene (4:43)
07 Typing The List (5:10)
08 Say Your Name (2:19)
09 The Shower Scene (3:40)
10 The Returning Women (2:43)
11 I Could Have Saved More (Film Version with film insert) (5:52)
12 Placing The Stones (4:15)
13 End Credits (3:24)

TOTAL TIME - 54:32

CONCERT ARRANGEMENTS:
14 Journey To Krakow (Introduction And Theme) (4:40) Omitted from disc 1, as it already features on disc 2
15 Remembrances (4:20) Omitted from disc 1, as it already features on disc 2
16 Recorder Theme (2:11)
17 Remembrances (with Itzhak Perlman) (5:16) Omitted from disc 1, as it already features on disc 2

TOTAL TIME - 2:11

ALTERNATES/MISC:

17 Marching Drum Beat (0:50)

18 The Money Exchange (Alternate) (3:34)
19 The Luggage Scene (Without Choir) (3:05) Still not sure Williams will entertain non-choir versions of cues from this score, but let's say he does
20 Nacht Aktion (Alternate) (1:51)
21 The Perlman Family (Alternate) (1:21)
22 The Burial Scene (Without Choir) (4:40) Still not sure Williams will entertain non-choir versions of cues from this score, but let's say he does
23 I Could Have Saved More (Unused Insert) (2:35)
24 I Could Have Saved More (Film Version Insert with sound effects) (5:53) Featured in the chronological film score presentation
25 Remembrances (With Flute Solo) (4:30)

TOTAL TIME - 22:26

DISC 1 TOTAL TIME - 1:19:09

DISC 2

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK PRESENTATION:

01 Theme from Schindler's List – 4:15
02 Jewish Town (Krakow Ghetto - Winter '41) – 4:40
03 Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life) – 4:44
04 Remembrances – 4:20
05 Schindler's Workforce – 9:08
06 Afn Pripetshek / Nacht Aktion (with Li-Ron Choir) – 2:56
07 I Could Have Done More – 5:52
08 Auschwitz-Birkenau – 3:41
09 Stolen Memories – 4:20
10 Making the List – 5:11
11 Give Me Your Names – 4:55
12 Yerushalayim Shel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold) – 2:17
13 Remembrances (with Itzhak Perlman) – 5:17
14 Theme from Schindler's List (Reprise) – 2:59

TOTAL TIME - 64:35

SOURCE MUSIC:
26 Por Una Cabeza (3:45)
27 Vida Mia (2:47)
28 Jealousy (1:08)
30 Gloomy Sunday (0:28)
31 Deine Augen Sind Dein Herz (2:03)
32 In Einem Kleinen Cafe In Hernals (1:33)
33 OFY'N Pripetshok (1:06) already featured in OST presentation, albeit not film version
34 Milosc Ci Wszystko Wybaczy (3:32)
35 Yeroushalem Chel Zavah (2:17) already featured in OST presentation, albeit not film version
TOTAL TIME - 15:16

DISC 2 TOTAL TIME - 1:19:51

But I was so close!

Well, easy fix. Remove one of the choirless alternates from disc one (still doubt Williams will allow those anyway) and remove any source music from disc 2 that Williams didn't conduct or Neufeld/Morley didn't arrange. :)

Awesome news!  Will order as soon as it's available.  I've never heard any of the leaked stuff.  I like the Main Theme being at the beginning of the OST album.  Without a Main Title track it makes sense to put the main theme there.  I also like the two different versions of the theme bookending the album.  I would not want to hear them back to back.