Dial M For Murder rerecording Kickstarter campaign

Good choice, but 39 USD including shipping for just the CD? I'll wait until I can order this in the regular way. Weird they didn't think to compensate for this, instead of adding (for higher pledges) a... t-shirt?

I like Tiomkin and DIAL M FOR MURDER is a fine score. But if I were ever to back a Kickstarter campaign like this, it would have to be for something that I really, really desire. Like a recording of STORY OF A WOMAN or something. I simply don't have the funds otherwise, as much as I'd love to be a film music philanthropist.

It's a little sad that labels have to use Kickstarter fund-raisers to even get financing for these kinda rerecordings nowadays. I guess it means you can't invest in it up front and be reasonably assured you can break even.

I wonder if the rarity of rerecording projects these days -- and the difficulty in getting them financed -- is due to the "fall" of physical media, or if it's something else? Any theories? After all, the platform/media shouldn't really be that relevant. Is it the over-saturation of the market, perhaps?

7 hours ago, fommes said:

Good choice, but 39 USD including shipping for just the CD? I'll wait until I can order this in the regular way. Weird they didn't think to compensate for this, instead of adding (for higher pledges) a... t-shirt?

Well, it's a Kickstarter, not a simple pre-order. Making it cheaper (and especially stuff like free shipping) means less money for the actual projects, which means even more backers are required to successfully finish the Kickstarter campaign and actually start production. My view on Kickstarter campaigns in general is that I'm happy to pay a little extra for a project I'm really interested in, because it's the backers who (hopefully) come up with enough money to do the whole project in the first place. You're free to wait until it's available regularly, but it increases the risk that it will never happen.

I'm not particularly interested in this score. I probably wouldn't pick it up if it were a regular release. But I like that Intrada are exploring Kickstarter as a means to finance re-recording projects, so I'll consider backing it if necessary.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I wonder if the rarity of rerecording projects these days -- and the difficulty in getting them financed -- is due to the "fall" of physical media, or if it's something else? Any theories? After all, the platform/media shouldn't really be that relevant. Is it the over-saturation of the market, perhaps?

The music industry has changed. Niche markets like film music are suffering from it. 

I thought it was the other way around. Niche markets are what survive in a commercial music industry that falters (pr. all the deluxe editions for the niches etc.)?

On 9/1/2018 at 5:35 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm not particularly interested in this score. I probably wouldn't pick it up if it were a regular release. But I like that Intrada are exploring Kickstarter as a means to finance re-recording projects, so I'll consider backing it if necessary.

I cannot bring myself to give money to a project i have zero interest in on the slim chance that they choose a more interesting score - for me, that is - next time. Psychologically, it would have been more clever to prepare a selection of five possible candidates and then let people vote on them. We do these polls on Facebook all the time and the specter of a favourite being the second or third choice might have turned up more dough. 

• 3 weeks later...

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for the title selected (I'm not big about Tiomkin in general), I thought this thread was worth bumping because Intrada just achieved their goal this morning, so it's happening!

This bodes well for future Intrada Kickstarters, which will hopefully be more interesting scores to me. But if anyone out there is excited for Tiomkin's Dial 'M' for Murder, you have just under two days left to pledge...

Yavar

47 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm glad this is reaching its goal without my contribution. I hope their next Kickstarter will be something of more interest to me.

Fingers crossed for Goldsmith/Rozsa/Herrmann or Friedhofer's Joan of Arc...

Yavar

It's over and we passed our goal! I especially appreciate coming out above. While I did build the Kickstarter fees into the actual budget we were trying to raise, I didn't realize that all the shipping costs they collect are included in the total...which is kind of silly since you have to take that back out and set it aside for when the time comes to ship all the goodies. Not sure why they do that, but once you take that out the amount is actually lower, so the overage helps cover it. You all rock!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=80270#p80270