Rumor: JW to Compose...Something...for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge?

igger6

Take this with a huge grain of salt, as it's totally anonymous and unattributed, but MakingStarWars doesn't usually publish absolute nonsense, and in the wake of Solo, anything seems possible.  It also doesn't technically violate Williams' "retirement" from Star Wars after Episode IX, since this area will open in Disneyland six months before IX hits theaters.

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/08/rumor-john-williams-michael-giacchino-to-score-new-music-and-themes-for-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

Oooooh interesting! Another handful of Williams SW concert suites to add to his collection of 9 already written in the Disney era. Here's hoping it pans out with Williams writing the themes and Gia adapting them.

I'd say all parties were pretty happy with how that strategy turned out for Solo.

Awesome! My guess is that, if this is true, they're likely composing source music that will play throughout the park, and possibly a few cues for the rides. Big Disney World fan here, can't wait to visit the place when it's finished next year.

There was a recent announcement that there will be an alcohol-serving "cantina" in each park in Disneyland in California and Walt Disney World in Florida. Perhaps Williams will write a source cue for the joint, ala Canto Bight or Cantina Band?

12 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Maybe Gia will learn a thing or two about writing SW music by collaborating with JW on this.

Or better yet, maybe Desplat, JNH, or Powell will get to do it!

Eh, I'm not sure if HP is so representative, though. That was a really dark film (er, two films) that didn't provide many magical moments like you get in HPSS or even Fantastic Beasts

Desplat can definitely write a great fantasy theme, as this shows:

:love2:

And he can also write some pretty kickass action passages:

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

People visiting the park would rather just hear the original cantina band music

No way they'll just have those two cues playing on a loop in the cantina. Even the "cantina" in Star Wars Launch Bay doesn't rely wholly on them. They're in there, but the loop also contains Williams' TPM Tatooine source music. (Maybe some other stuff too, not sure.) And that's just a temporary (ish) space that most people don't spend much time in. Oga's Cantina will be a fully fleshed-out environment where Disney expects people to spend more than just a few minutes. I'm betting the background music loop ends up being at least an hour long. (And personally, I'm stoked to see Rex return.)

Wouldn't surprise me if they asked Williams to write expanded versions of his existing cantina tracks (the 3 he hasn't expanded), then maybe an extra couple of new ones. Would be an easy sell, he clearly enjoys writing in that whacky jazzy style.

And Gia would be pretty good in that mode as well.

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

Judging by Harry Potter it would suck

Desplat generally sucks at blockbuster scores .He's good for more intimate movies

Have you even listened to his score for Valerian?

11 hours ago, King Mark said:

Desplat generally sucks at blockbuster scores .He's good for more intimate movies

I'm glad someone finally just came out and said this. After all the hype and hopes about him a few years ago, Desplat is just another lower tier movie composer.

Valerian didn't leave much of an impression on me either except for a track or 2

I'm not a Desplaty basher. some of his stuff is very good. Monument Men, Unbroken, Benjamen button, shape of water....

but all his block buster style scores  I've been very dissapointed and he can't really write action music