Rumor: JW to Compose...Something...for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge?

igger6

3 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Would such an enterprise see those tracks being released to the public or would one have to attend the theme park to hear the music? 

how long did we wait for E.T. Botanicus

11 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Would such an enterprise see those tracks being released to the public or would one have to attend the theme park to hear the music? 

If a substantial amount of new stuff is recorded, you can be sure we won't get all of it. Disney does release theme park soundtrack albums from time to time - sometimes for the whole resort, or just one attraction, or one land, etc. These are just meant to give a taste, though. For instance, after Giacchino and friends recorded a bunch of new short arrangements for Star Tours, only one was released on the next resort album.

I'm going to guess that if/when Disney drops another 2-disc Disneyland Resort album after 2019, we'll get musical ridethroughs of both Galaxy's Edge attractions, and nothing more. But Cars Land got its own dedicated album, so we can always hope for that.

17 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

This is a fascinating little gadget. It's gonna replace CDs soon. Guess I'll have to buy the Titanic album again.

It's the way to listen to music in the future, now introducing:

******VINYL******

😮

22 hours ago, crumbs said:

If they were smart they would monetise the recordings and sell CDs of the new music at the park! 

I can understand (and hate) the fact that stocking lots of inventory in a dying format is risky, especially with such a niche product. But digital distribution changes all of that. Disney could be selling days of theme park audio digitally, without losing any money. Not sure why that doesn't happen. (BTW, I still very much prefer CDs. But I understand that having a lossless physical product just isn't a priority for most consumers )

At the very least, I'm grateful that Disney at least makes some effort in this area. Good luck finding commercially available audio from other theme parks.

My guess is that Disney doesn't want to go to the effort of all the restoration and mastering processes, tracking down all the rights and marketing it. Not to mention that theme park music is a niche market that even if it were only released digitally, wouldn't even register on their radar for potential release.

I doubt that restoration is a big factor - even the oldest rides are storing and playing their audio digitally these days, so the job has already been done.

I don't know a lot about the rights situation, but I would think that'd only be a real issue with music taken from or inspired by non-Disney sources. Most attraction audio is recorded internally, and it tends to be either original or based off of Disney IPs. The trickiest stuff would be area background music loops, since those are more likely to include "needle drop" recordings that already exist.

I will grant you that there's often some time and money involved in choosing what exactly to release and editing the final product, though. And of course, this is very much a niche product. I remember being shocked the first time I saw a Disneyland soundtrack album.