'Hooten Plays Williams' - New recording of John Williams' Trumpet Concerto now available

Miguel Andrade

Alas you can't get the $50+ pledge physical CD from the Kickstarter outside US as it only ships to United States. :( 

This is phenomenal. I just contributed to this wonderful project; I also sent a personal thanks to Thomas Hooter. My thanks to him and the Maestro. I cannot wait to get the CD. To anyone who has not yet made a pledge, please contribute. This is a wonderful opportunity.

I'm just a little confused about the timing...the campaign runs until October 1, but the recording sessions are in September?  So they might have the recording in the can only to find out they didn't meet the goal?  What happens then?  How do the musicians get paid?

But that's not my problem.  I'll be happy to donate and hope it succeeds.

(And if it does succeed, somebody talk to Don Foster about doing a Kickstarter so we can get a decent recording of the Clarinet Concerto!!!)

Yes, there are already several recordings of the trumpet concerto. If this had been for a proper recording of the clarinet concerto (or, in fact, any of his comlpetely unreleased works), it would have been another matter.

19 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

$38.02 for musicians to record a concerto, a signed thank you note and a digital download, and $11.98 for a CD is outrageous.  No fucking way.

Fixed-ish.

14 hours ago, MrScratch said:

$16K of $30K has been raised... I will back this but it seems like there is a good chance that it won’t meet its goal.

$17K of $30K as of this post. With 20 days left and more than half way through the goal after just a few days since the Kickstarter was put up. It will meet the goal.

I wish all the best for this project's fruition; 

BUT; I don't understand how all the musicians and the studio, not the mention John Williams (whether or not he's doing it for free), could all claim to be 'booked' onto a project that ostensibly still has a funding gap. 

1 hour ago, zoltan_902 said:

BUT; I don't understand how all the musicians and the studio, not the mention John Williams (whether or not he's doing it for free), could all claim to be 'booked' onto a project that ostensibly still has a funding gap. 

IOUs.

1 hour ago, thx99 said:

No one's mentioned that the "theme from Born on the Fourth of July" will also be recorded at this session, apparently, per the video introduction for the campaign.

Man, I love that one!

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I hope this recording will be the start of a series of recordings with JW conducting his concert works.

Yeah, remember when Leonard Slatkin's plans fizzled out after a few? I hope this would work out better.

12 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

Trumpet Concerto plus the theme from BOTFOJ.  This CD is clocking in around 27 minutes. Hopefully they record something else too.

It wouldn't surprise me if they threw in Hooten's rendition of "With Malice Toward None" as a bonus track. 

I haven't backed this yet and I'm having second thoughts.  I assume the digital download will be available for purchase..?  I really would prefer to have the CD though, but $50..?

Well, keep in mind that you would get all previous rewards in addition to the CD.

I plan making another contribution; what would’ve been REALLY cool is if one of the rewards would be a signed copy of the CD by the Maestro himself.

23 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But did Slatkin & company really intend to record more than they did?

They will be performing (and recording) the oboe concerto this coming season.

7 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I haven't backed this yet and I'm having second thoughts.  I assume the digital download will be available for purchase..?  I really would prefer to have the CD though, but $50..?

Apparently people who aren't me think it's outrageous to think $50 for the CD is outrageous.

4 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Apparently people who aren't me think it's outrageous to think $50 for the CD is outrageous.

I wonder how many people care about the signature of Mr. Hooten, however skilled he is at his craft, and for a half-hour of music, I can't justify it beyond the feeling of contributing to this album's production (which as others have stated, is a little confusing in the details). The only compelling reward is the $5,000 one, and lord are there tons of things I could do with that money.

Love this idea, but I would like future releases to be better planned and articulated for the behalf of backers/consumers.

17 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I have paid $50 (and more) for a CD before... but it was always to obtain soundtracks or music I didn't have.  I already have recordings of the pieces that will be recorded here... that we know of so far.  I will probably end up going $50 as it is a worthwhile endeavor. 

It's stupid to complain that $50 is too expensive for the CD, because you are not paying for the CD but funding the recording, so that it can happen AT ALL. The CD is basically free. If every reward tier would only cover the costs of the reward, they wouldn't raise any funds.

5 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

It's stupid to complain that $50 is too expensive for the CD, because you are not paying for the CD but funding the recording, so that it can happen AT ALL. The CD is basically free. If every reward tier would only cover the costs of the reward, they wouldn't raise any funds.

I don’t think anyone is complaining, rather weighing if it’s worth spending $50 or $25 or anything at all.  I intend to back it myself, as I said, just not sure how much and if it’s worth it for me to get the CD or not.

Plus there’s the strange timetable of the recording scheduled to take place before the funding period ends.  So, this recording seems inevitable, kickstarter or not.

Honestly, you may contribute without choosing a reward. If you wish to get the CD or just want a digital download, then you can contribute either way. It's up to you. It is nice to receive a copy of the recording, though. You still have time. The project is nearly 90% funded.

On 9/10/2018 at 2:00 AM, Muad'Dib said:

Am I the only one who thinks this looks a little bit shady?

they are basically having this " kickstarter" to "re-master" the old bootleg of the Trumpet concerto