'Hooten Plays Williams' - New recording of John Williams' Trumpet Concerto now available

Miguel Andrade

Makes perfect sense. Those complaining simply didn't understand that.

A couple of questions if you don't mind: When is the recording date?

Will Williams be revising Born on the 4th at all? Sometimes he tinkers with his arrangements. Not that his earlier ones aren't great^

As a trumpet player who worked on the JW concerto (unfortunately my orchestra, symphony Nova Scotia, in Canada is too small to perform it with me) I can really appreciate that a great player like yourself would want to record the piece. Especially with John conducting. This will be the reference version of this concerto for generations to come.

I will most definitely contribute what I can

Cheers

Richard Simoneau 

2 hours ago, Thomas Hooten said:

Wow thank you!! I appreciate the support!!

Richard Simoneau 

You lot who are whining about "50.00 for a CD!" have no idea how Kickstarter works.

You're donating to make the project happen. The CD is a bonus. If you don't want to donate and just want the CD, wait for the CD.  Crikey.

This is also the first real, honest-to-God STUDIO recording of a Williams concert piece in many years.  Lots of live recordings in the meantime of course.

SO. EXCITING.

21 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm pumped to hear how he does the second movement, which is in my shortlist of top pieces of music ever.

Yes!  Like Gershwin if he lived to become a modernist or something.

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

awaiting Thor to let us all know once again that the Sandoval recording is great and there's no reason to listen to any other

I thought I remembered Thor having similar criticisms that you have.

17 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

How so?

I hear the whole concerto as this great tribute to the traditional (American/European) flavors of the trumpet.  Looking at the wide over-simplified view of the work: the heraldic opening movement, the bluesy lyrical second, and the trumpet as vehicle of wild, rhythmic complexity in the third (which sounds the most like how he sometimes uses the trumpet in his film action music to my ears).  And then even within the movements, Williams calls for the performer to use radically different voicings and timbres often in quick succession.  I find Sandoval's playing on that album to be a bit monochromatic, lacking the variety of style and color that I think Williams was asking for. 

It's a seriously virtuosic trumpet showcase, maybe Sandoval was just having a bad day ;) 

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I find Sandoval's playing on that album to be a bit monochromatic, lacking the variety of style and color that I think Williams was asking for

Ah, I see, interesting.  That makes a lot of sense. 

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Ah, I see, interesting.  That makes a lot of sense. 

I do think that the second movement is where Sandoval shines the most, which maybe is closer to his comfort zone?

4 minutes ago, pete said:

The 30,000 was just surpassed 

Finally decided to just go ahead and raid my kids' college funds ;) 

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I do think that the second movement is where Sandoval shines the most, which maybe is closer to his comfort zone?

Hell yeah he shines there. Warm, tender, passionate, portentous, powerful and solid, all in one piece. 

When I first listened to it l liked to imagine a king ruled by his own self-importance, out of touch with his subjects. Then when a massacre befalls his kingdom, he sees the corpses wheeled off in large barrows, and begins to recognize the depth of his folly. He wanders through his massive castle, lamenting his carelessness, and agonizes over a way to right his wrongdoings. 

I guess that imagery came easily because the movement has it all: regal, mournful, bittersweet, triumphant...damn, Williams hit it hard.

On 9/9/2018 at 11:46 PM, MrScratch said:

I will back this but it seems like there is a good chance that it won’t meet its goal.

$31,307 pledged of $30,000 at the time of this post...

55 minutes ago, pete said:

The 30,000 was just surpassed - i think with a 5,000 donation. Congrats Thomas!

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Thank goodness I don’t have kids’ college funds to worry about!! ;)

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I hear the whole concerto as this great tribute to the traditional (American/European) flavors of the trumpet.  Looking at the wide over-simplified view of the work: the heraldic opening movement, the bluesy lyrical second, and the trumpet as vehicle of wild, rhythmic complexity in the third (which sounds the most like how he sometimes uses the trumpet in his film action music to my ears).  And then even within the movements, Williams calls for the performer to use radically different voicings and timbres often in quick succession.  I find Sandoval's playing on that album to be a bit monochromatic, lacking the variety of style and color that I think Williams was asking for. 

Yes!  I agree with Disco Stu!  Things going well?

53 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Hell yeah he shines there. Warm, tender, passionate, portentous, powerful and solid, all in one piece. 

When I first listened to it l liked to imagine a king ruled by his own self-importance, out of touch with his subjects. Then when a massacre befalls his kingdom, he sees the corpses wheeled off in large barrows, and begins to recognize the depth of his folly. He wanders through his massive castle, lamenting his carelessness, and agonizes over a way to right his wrongdoings. 

I guess that imagery came easily because the movement has it all: regal, mournful, bittersweet, triumphant...damn, Williams hit it hard.

Yes! I agree with Nick!

I love the Trumpet Concerto, to be sure.  One of those pieces where you hear something new with each listen.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

You are back!

40 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Nothing is free. Thank goodness you live in a country with lots of oil. ;)

The important point is the implication that education is accessible to all. And you don't need oil to achieve that. :)

Yeah but all that oil helps pay for that.

I'm not knocking it...oil revenues and a largely homogenous population (except for the people who do the dirty jobs) has enabled your people to create one of the best places in the world to live. Sort out the addiction problems and you'll have a paradise!

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Many countries have shown it can be achieved without oil revenues. Just increase the taxes, especially for the filthy rich!

But, but--_I_ could be filthy rich one day! Never mind I'm middle class and have no inclination for upward mobility, _I_ could be paying those taxes one day! To hell with your tax increase, filthy hippie!

17 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

You lot who are whining about "50.00 for a CD!" have no idea how Kickstarter works.

You're donating to make the project happen. The CD is a bonus. If you don't want to donate and just want the CD, wait for the CD.  Crikey.

I might have been interested in donating to make a project like this happen if I was receiving a CD as a thank you at a $20 level, or even $25.

$50, not a chance.  I wouldn't pay that to fund a rerecording of the full score to Dracula.

13 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

$50, not a chance.  I wouldn't pay that to fund a rerecording of the full score to Dracula.

I doubt that would be sufficient to fund a rerecording of the full score.

:lol:

5 hours ago, pete said:

Any plans for the excess over the $30,000?

It's for a new project: Variations on Rey's Theme by John Williams feat. John Powell. 

But seriously, wouldn't that be awesome?!

On 9/15/2018 at 5:32 PM, Thomas Hooten said:

Hi all!

I wanted to share a project that I"m doing very soon. You can read more about it on the kickstarter page, but I'm recording John's Trumpet Concerto with a full orchestra, with John himself conducting! I've raised a majority of the funding for the full orchestra and recording fees, but am doing this campaign to raise the remaining gap. If any are interested in contributing or sharing, there are rewards on the page and I'd appreciate you all for helping to make this a reality!!

Thanks for reading!

Best,

Tom Hooten, Principal Trumpet of the Los Angeles Philharmonic

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/williamshootencd/john-williams-and-thomas-hooten-recording-project?ref=user_menu

I love it when the people who are actually working on the projects we talk about here pop in to say hello. Good work Thomas!