"Babe" (1995) composer Nigel Westlake giving a small insight into the clicktrack, with token reference to John Williams.

zoltan_902

I’ve always wondered when someone like JW is scoring a film in his little office, does he have a old fashioned projector next to him that he can keep rewinding and fast forwarding?

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’ve always wondered when someone like JW is scoring a film in his little office, does he have a old fashioned projector next to him that he can keep rewinding and fast forwarding?

Yeah, I've wondered the same for years, do composers get to keep the spotted cut in some form to compose to?

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, I've wondered the same for years, do composers get to keep the spotted cut in some form to compose to?

In the 'old days' they mostly would see that in a screening room at the studio with director/producer in attendance. Depending on how close to the finishing line the production would be, they either would get this cut, or subtly or wildly differing ones at a much later date, or just finished scenes in some cases (effect-heavy stuff).

Bernstein, Goldsmith and Horner did go on record that they sometimes would watch a single scene 20 times, the rest not so much, to crack the general approach. When this one scene worked, they would go on writing the rest.

Documentaries I saw usually glance over that, just talk about the spotting session(s), and then sitting down to write all the music, then skip to the recording.

I guess scoring a Netflix series or a FatF sequel in 2018 is totally different to scoring, ie, TOD in 1984. Back then, Williams probably worked on a 90% finished picture with tweaks here and there. When i watched/listened to 7 Years in Tibet i thought, well, there must have been some wild miscommunications going on - the approach of the album is totally different from the snippets ending up in the movie. So it...really depends.

Well he still composes in his office, so I assume there's a secured copy of the film located or accessible in there. JW probably has a music assistant who helps him with it, as it's surely all a digital workflow nowadays.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Bernstein, Goldsmith and Horner did go on record that they sometimes would watch a single scene 20 times, the rest not so much, to crack the general approach. When this one scene worked, they would go on writing the rest.

Makes a lot of sense actually.