Are There Any Scores That You Hate?

cordax

7 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

She was nice to watch in Murder on the Oriental Express.

On the contrary, while she was good the cast was much too star-studded for her to be a star. Kenneth Branagh, Josh Gad, Michele Pfeiffer, and Willem Dafoe had good roles.

I didn't like some Narnia bits, but I don't hate it.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

For a while, power ballads were in fashion during end credits. Aren't you familiar with this?

That had to inevitably include a "powerful" modulation one half step up. @Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya I can post examples, but they might be a little obscure. Is that alright?

44 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

That had to inevitably include a "powerful" modulation one half step up. @Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya I can post examples, but they might be a little obscure. Is that alright?

Sigh

There's plenty of film score stuff I don't like, but "hate" is indeed a strong word. I will say that I can only take very small doses of both CutThroat Island and Family Plot, even though the former was beautifully recorded/performed and the latter is filled with Williams ingenuity. Most of the time I get annoyed and stop listening.

13 hours ago, Incanus said:

I don't waste time on hating scores or music in general. If something doesn't strike my fancy, I just don't listen to it.

This

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

This

I create and helm 40 page threads discussing how much I hate the score in question. I also subscribe to countless YouTube channels that completely thrive off of hate and loathing towards these scores.

17 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Family Plot

I think I know whachu mean. What it is about this score that annoys you?

On 9/12/2018 at 4:48 PM, TGP said:

Wow I always thought Williams wrote basic piano sketches which were passed off to orchestrators to be fleshed out.

I'm going to assume that's sarcasm, but if not, check out his sketches for the prequels.  The orchestrators didn't have to do that much beyond writing "tacet" on some parts.

On 9/12/2018 at 2:03 PM, bollemanneke said:

Man of Steel.

That's what I was going to say.  (That or Fury Road).

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I just unleash an obnoxiously massive barrage of whiny messages at Cherry Pie whenever I love or hate a score. It's easier on the rest of you if I just annoy him!

Cherry Pie might regenerate into some other food next month...

Solo: A Star Wars Story. Cannot stand the generic RCP drumloop crap that Powell butchers Williams' music with. The score is 50% Williams Solo theme. 25% Williams Original Trilogy themes and 25% new Powell stuff. Even Williams theme for Han is a little too generic and meh for me.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Solo: A Star Wars Story. Cannot stand the generic RCP drumloop crap that Powell butchers Williams' music with. The score is 50% Williams Solo theme. 25% Williams Original Trilogy themes and 25% new Powell stuff. Even Williams theme for Han is a little too generic and meh for me.

tumblr_inline_nvyvo9wojc1riww7m_250.gif

10 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Anyone else more suitable to her role? Ariana Grande perhaps?

No she was perfect in her role. I found the other supporting actors much more interesting though. Daisy Ridley is still a great actor and, as I said, a fetching lady.

14 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Anyone else more suitable to her role? Ariana Grande perhaps?

The only claim to fame that Ariana Grande has, is that she was in a certain place, in a certain city, when a bomb exploded. Not an endorsement to be proud of.

The sooner the world forgets about this child, the better.

1 hour ago, Wojism said:

I tried to listen to The Thin Red Line the other day. Just a lot of slow whole and half notes playing chords. I thought I was in my first year of music class. It might make sense in the movie, but that's on my stack of DVDs to sell. 

Oh yeah, it's probably been 10 years since the last time I listened to that, but I seem to recall it being pretty torturous.

The Thin Red Line is a sublime experience for me, film and score.  Torturous is a wildly unexpected adjective for it but there you go.  I can't think of any scores I hate just plenty that are boring and unremarkable or worse, fell short of expectations.  The last time I remember actively disliking music in a theater was Ant Man.  And Rogue One.  But I wouldn't say hate. 

7 hours ago, Wojism said:

I tried to listen to The Thin Red Line the other day. Just a lot of slow whole and half notes playing chords. I thought I was in my first year of music class.

That's probably why it was years ahead of its time. ;)

9 hours ago, gkgyver said:

This, and my attempt to listen to Dunkirk.

Pure white noise.

But it worked in the movie and that's after all what film music is supposed to do. 

18 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

That's probably why it was years ahead of its time. 

Nothing can be years ahead of its time.

There's a Russian cosmonaut that has spent 800+ days in space, but because of relativity, he is only two seconds into his own future.